saddle pads and numnahs / cold backs

Horsekaren

Visit site
From what i understand a good fitting saddle shouldn't need a pile of blankets underneath it. I have just had my saddle checked as my horse had started to plant when i mounted. Saddler advised the saddle fits great and added a tiny bit of flocking. We tried the saddle with no pad and it didn't budge. I have given him 2 weeks off ridden work but he has been lunged. This morning i lunged him for a minute before i hopped on and there was no planting.
I ride him in a standard lemieux pad but i am wondering if i tried a pad with some wool lining it might help with his cold back when he first comes out of his stable. I know cold backed doesn't mean he has a chilly back but it seems he isn't a fan of going forward until he has loosened his muscles and warmed up.

Is there anything i can do to help him? and would a softer warmer pad ruin the fit of my saddle?

Back and Saddle checked very recently, all fine, best they have ever been to be honest :D and he feels it under saddle its just the first 5 - 10 mins mounted. I do warm him up slowly but the planting i dont like, at one point he went backwards when asked to go forwards :/

Surbie

Visit site
We used a heat pad for the little cold-backed mare at the stables. It works well - on for 10-15 mins before riding then tack up as normal.

ihatework

Visit site
In general I like to routinely use extra padding under a saddle, but then I’d also routinely have a saddle fitted slightly wide.

If you go putting thick padding under a saddle not fitted to accommodate this you might run into more problems.

From my experience sometimes it is just as simple as some horses preferring soft sheepskin.

But in a lot of cases classic ‘cold back’ symptoms generally have an underlying cause. And if you are working with such a horse then yes they generally are noticeably better 5-10 mins after getting going.

One thing you could try is a hot water bottle on him before you ride to see if that helps.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
My boy can be cold backed although has improved a lot as he's built muscle and strength. I always chuck his saddle on early and on cooler days put a rug over his back whilst I faff about with other bits and pieces. I will slowly do the girth up and find that by the time I get on he's fine and we have no reaction at all. Just as if he acclimatises himself to the feel of it and it's warmed his back muscles up. Its probably on for a good 10- 15 minutes on a not very loose girth setting before riding.

Carrottom

Visit site
It might be worth trying a wool lined pad, maybe see if you can borrow one. Some horses do have very sensitive skin, I tried a different pad on one of mine, which I had been using successfully one another one, and he hated it, started bucking in the stable. The moment I took it off and got his old one his was fine.
I know someone who keep all saddle pads in a heated room so every horse has a warm pad put on.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The saddle would need to be fitted lower in front to accommodate the thicker pad. I like sheepskin for the majority of horses, and most, but not all horses really like it. I would say there's not even such a thing as cold backed even if you discount "chilly back" - it's either current or remembered discomfort.

LegOn

Visit site
I think if you a thicker pad under the saddle & you know your saddle fits well, you will actually alter the fit of your saddle. You could try using a magnetic back pad for 20 mins before you ride or have a look at the Back on Track saddle pads, they are amazing! I have a Back on Track rug & it made a huge difference to my veteran horse when warming up him before riding!

Horsekaren

Visit site
I think if you a thicker pad under the saddle & you know your saddle fits well, you will actually alter the fit of your saddle. You could try using a magnetic back pad for 20 mins before you ride or have a look at the Back on Track saddle pads, they are amazing! I have a Back on Track rug & it made a huge difference to my veteran horse when warming up him before riding!
is the back on track pad very thick compared to lemuiex pads?