Saddle pads/ numnahs *sigh*

WelshCManiac

Visit site
So, with the hot weather and summer on its way I have been thinking: is it okay to use a normal saddle pad in the summer?
I mean, yeah of course it is, but what saddle pads provide moisture wicking or cooling or sweat absorption?
Is a le mieux cc okay? The ones with suede on the top and the bamboo technology?
Recommendations about cooling saddle pads please?
They need to be affordable though :p

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Sheepskin is a brilliant product, I recommend proper medical grade sheepskin such as Mattes or Lamfelle above the lamskins you see everywhere, but they are more expensive. The breathable pads can work well but I can't give feedback on specific models. They would be easier care than sheepskin, though the latter can be machine washed with a leather wash (wool wash isn't enough).

Follysmum

Visit site
I agree they are expensive but they last. One of mine is at least 9yrs old and still looks as good as a cheaper version that is 1 yr old.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Following this thread with interest as I'm looking for a new saddle pad. Currently, I have two sheepskins, one of which is unbranded but thick and fabulous. Other wise, I use bucas or le Mieux wicking saddle pads with a prolite.
I did buy a pressure relieving pad which retailed at approx £260 ( i got it in a sale) and it had to be binned after a few months of washing and wearing.
Don't know if its worth splashing out on the christ saddle pad champ or just go for a bog standard wicking pad with a prolite.

Follysmum

Visit site
IMO Christ lamfelle or mattes are the best. I have ridden 64km rides in them and they are by far superior to any others. I paid over £100 for the le mieux and there is no comparison

TPO

Visit site
I have a Mattes pad and when I advertised my new/unused Lamfelle it went within 5mins so obviously popular too.

I've heard really good reviews about all things Husk. I'm sure there was a thread about their pads on here recently with photos showing how well they kept hot & sweaty horses cool under the saddle.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
For those that use the Mattes or similar did you have to have your saddles refitted before using them? I think one of mine would benefit from having sheepskin as he gets hot just standing still but he is an extra wide gullet on a K&M and I'm not sure it would fit underneath.

TPO

Visit site
For those that use the Mattes or similar did you have to have your saddles refitted before using them? I think one of mine would benefit from having sheepskin as he gets hot just standing still but he is an extra wide gullet on a K&M and I'm not sure it would fit underneath.

My tack is western so is designed to have a pad under it however with english tack it should be fitted with the pads that you intend to use because the fit will be affected/altered.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

If you're using a thin cotton numnah then definitely, if using a thinner sheepskin, a double polypad etc then maybe not. I would ask your fitter.