Saddle question for those who have horses who have had the KS op

CBAnglo

Visit site
Question in title really. Did you change saddles after the op? What do you use now?

I am a looooong way off having to even think about a saddle for mine (he had the op to remove the tops of 3 vertebrae 7 weeks ago) but I know a couple of people who have sworn by WOW for their post-op KS horses. I never got on with a WOW (I have a dodgy hip and found the twist too wide) however I am willing to give it another go if he likes it (tried it on a different horse before).

Thanks!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't think I have heard of any saddles being particularly recommended for horses with kissing spines post op. I kept the same saddle for my horse. The most important thing is that it fits well.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Agreed. His saddle will need to be refitted in any event as he has lost all the muscles in his back and has zero topline.

A couple of people I know have said that their horses did not like their saddles when they were brought back into work (preperly refitted etc) and went better with the flair panels so I wanted to canvass opinions. His saddle is currently wool flocked - I have never really liked air, and I personally didnt like the Wow, so I wanted to see if it was a common theme or just these two particular horses.

lochpearl

Visit site
omg, was just thinking about you and how you were! long time no speak and my fault I'm sorry! How is your lad going? is this the young one with the previous problems? I know others that have had the op and as long as the saddle is nicely padded and fitted and light then you should be fine. SC seem to be the best for changeability and lightness but then you fit them don't you?? Must catch up soon xxx