Saddle question - which would you buy?

Abacus

Visit site
I have a young horse who is changing shape reasonably frequently (I've got through 5 saddles in the last 18 months, and the most recent no longer fits). Currently I have an Ideal Jessica, bought on Ebay, wide fitting, which is good width-wise but the rear panels hardly make contact with his back. I have tried a friend's Ideal Suzannah on him and it looks to be a much better shape and fit for him.

I also have from Saddles Direct a Prestige Optimax which fits well and it lovely - it is £1300 (ouch). Obviously I need to get it properly checked and adjusted.

I could for the same money buy a new Suzannah which I could have made to measure.

Assuming either saddle fitted well, which would you prefer - a new made to measure good quality saddle or an (arguably) better quality second hand?

Still not sure I even have the money or should spend it on a growing horse but I'd be interested to know what others would do.

Thanks! x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As the chances are you'll need to resell by the sound of it, I'd stick with used, you'll lose very little unlike with any brand new saddle. Plus M2M lose the most money, and can have fitting issues, I always suggest buying from stock whenever possible. This is all presuming the Prestige fits well of course :)

lottiepony

Visit site
Agree with above. The problem with getting a made to measure it just that. Your horse will change shape again and it will be easier to sell on a standard saddle.

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks sbloom - I've seen your posts before and know that you know what you are talking about - so this is very helpful. Hadn't really occurred to me that I would need to resell but of course there's every chance...

As an aside, do you know of any others apart from the two I know of that might be similar? - the Suzannah looked to me to fit like a glove, are there any others that would be worth a try?

Thanks again.

05troyd

Visit site
I know not everyone likes how restricting they are, but what about a bates Isabell werth? They have the adjustable gullet as well so you may be able to adjust it as the horse changes shape and not have to buy another?

JBP

Visit site
Bates are so adjustable and when horses are changing shape so rapidly they are fantasic and so quick and easy to change

NaeNae87

Visit site
Personally, I love Bates Saddles. I have ridden in the Bates Dressage, the Innova, the Isabell, Momentum, Caprilli and Elevation. I find them all super comfy.

I have 2 Isabells (one for each horse) and I am saving up for a Bates Momentum. I bought the Isabells for their adjustability. I find I have a good position in them and I like how the same size saddle can be made to fit both my horses who are completely different shapes. :)

miss_wilson

Visit site
I have an alllsaddlesolutions saddle which is completely adjustable by claire the saddle fitted/designer costs about £1400 and is tailor made to the horse, my saddle has been widened since i have had it! a lot cheaper than having to buy a new one!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
That is another point worth making - many fitters (me included) will happily adjust wooden trees a handful of times on a saddle bought new (used means the history may not be known).

I only fit one main brand so am not always familiar with other saddles, can't really help on what would fit the same. I'm not a great fan of the Bates/Wintec tree shape though I know some horses do just fine in them:

http://saddlefitter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/changeable-gullets-details.html

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Out of the two I would stick with the second hand, assuming that has been correctly fitted etc. It won't lose as much value if you need to sell on.

Have you thought about a WOW saddle? I bought one second hand for my youngster who is also constantly changing shape. They are extremely easy to adjust/refit. Mine also makes me feel very secure for when baby decides he's bored ;)

unicorndreams

Visit site
Having gone through various woes in saddle fitting and finally deciding to go down the M2M route - I wouldn't recommend it. The M2M fits no better (and in some respects has been more problematical) than the off the shelf ones I tried. It has certainly been more costly too. Secondhand all the way I reckon unless you've money to throw away - in which case chuck some my way as I need another saddle :D

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks so much for all of the replies. It sounds as if second hand is definitely the way to go on this; I have gone off M2M as I really would like to be able to get a reasonable price for whatever I buy, if I do have to sell it again.

(A little prayer to big ginger thing - please please stop growing - pleeeeeease...)...

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
What about the Kent and masters s-series? It is a quality leather saddle with an adjustable gullet. I have a WB mare who takes a very wide saddle and this fits her at the back as well as the front and has a very good and wide panel area. It is easily adjustable yourself (took me 3 minutes to change the gullet). If your horse is still changing, then I would go for one of these, or the thorowgood synthetic equivalents before investing in a really expensive saddle.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have WOW's and I've saved a fortune on saddle changes for growing horses. Second hand off eBay they are usually under £1000 but you either need your own pump kit or a good WOW fitter.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
All mine are in wintecs and they go fab in them...even the high withered tb goes great.
I like how you can change the gullet when they change shape.
The problem most people tend to have with wintecs is that if they have cair they are ment to be fitted by someone who is trained to fit cair.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have found that wintecs fit TB shaped horses but not cobs or flatter backed WBs. Their cob saddles tend to slip forward I have found too. But I like them to ride in.

1stclassalan

Visit site
Agree with above. The problem with getting a made to measure it just that. Your horse will change shape again and it will be easier to sell on a standard saddle.

That's my opinion too - lovely to have one made but only when your horse has matured.

My mare's saddle - pre-dates her birth as it was handmade in 1963 but was restuffed and fitted to her before I took over the pair of them in 1977 - as I have sat in it for something like 12,500 hours it was well worth the money. I still have it - in my "shrine" to the mare.

McW

Visit site
If a suzannah fits then an Albion with flatter panels would work too. I have a suzannah and like it think you can get them on eBay for about 700