Saddle recommendations for cob

aidybex

Visit site
Hello,

It's been a while since I posted in the forum. I have very kindly been given a 5 year old coloured cob, standing at 15.1hh. He's going to have a few months off as he needs to fill out and mature. He's a beautiful boy and I hope to attempt some showing with him next year and dressage. I plan to hog and trim him rather than natural as he doesn't really have the full feathers.

I would like something GP/straight cut so I can do a bit of everything in it. It will need to be wide, but he does have some shoulder. I just wondered what saddles you use on your cobs?

Thanks in advance.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've gone treeless with my cob: after trying Barefoot (size 1 too small, size 2 too big!), I bought a lovely little "Exmoor Tree-Free" on an on-line auction and it was the best thing I ever did. "Tree-Free Saddles" do trials (£50 per week). Nice people, even nicer saddles. Search for "Tree-Free" on-line and you should find them, they're based in Buckfastleigh, Devon.

I will PM you with a set-up to avoid and where I've had a bad experience.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
I had a very similar thread a month ago and had loads of really helpful advice.

It's here http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...es-for-Sec-D-(Wintec-Wide-Thorowgood-others-)

If you can get one to try on, I'd recommend a Jeffries Falcon VSD in wide or extra wide (stamped WW on stirrup bar). It's straighter cut than a GP but still possible to jump in. I loved mine but sold it as it was outgrown.

Still haven't resolved my saddle issues as now dithering between Kent and Masters, Ideal, Black Country, or Saddle Company due to rapid increase in budget!

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
it costs a bt but the saddle is wonderful and comfortable, kent and masters cob GP with changeable gullet works brilliantly for jumping dressage xc and a bit of endurance occasionaly

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I've got a super wide chunky coloured cob. He's had various treed saddles. at the moment I'm riding him in a heather moffet Phoenix GP saddle and we both love it. Super comfy. Brown leather. Ok for dressage and fun rides. And most importNtly for me at my age, so slipping for either of us.

TigerTail

Visit site
FlexEEs are great - leather treed so flex with your horse back movement and growth and changeable gullets :) Can be used without gullet plate if preferred. GP/VSD/Dressage leather and synthetic available - amazing things :D

http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/flexee_intro.htm

DSC01815.png

MrsNorris

Visit site
Another vote for the flexEE, best thing I ever did after having nearly a years worth of problems with traditional saddles...

jojo5

Visit site
Mine is an Ideal, a model specially designed originally I was told for Highlands? It's been brilliant, and my saddler, who has just had it in for a slight repair ( caused by the user!!!) says they are amongst his most favourite saddles, and that they last forever.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Love my Ideal, I have the grandee, it fits two of mine, a young cob who will barely make a l/w and my old boy who is the classic spherical shape. OH's giant boy 15.2hh and 680kgs has an Optimum Performance from Nathaniel Underwood, he is huge and has a gutter along his spine and a fat wither (the weight is coming off very slowly). I think it's the working hunter one on here but with longer flaps for a taller rider. http://www.nathanielunderwood.co.uk/optimum-performance-saddles

Jo1987

Visit site
I have a silhouette working hunter for my traditional cob, it's comfy for both of us and doesn't slip at all. I also have a Libra treeless for hacking about in :)

TigerTail

Visit site
You won't get a HM through a normal saddler, need to be fitted by one of her fitters - if you give me an idea where you are Il find you the link. Well worth trying for your criteria and so great for the horse :)