Saddle search.....

runaway

Visit site
I am sure this has been asked numerous times so I apologise profusely to those who are bored with the repetition! Also it hasn't escaped me that every saddle fits every horse differently - which makes it all the more harder!!

So with that all in mind I'm going to plunge in and ask.....

What saddle would you recommend for a show cob type, naturally round, low withered, big shouldered horse.

I have called my local saddlers and no one has anything in stock! Has anyone got advice/experience of buying from the likes of ebay??

We're currently using my instructor's saddle which is acceptable for the time being but isn't an ideal fit and no good once my instructor hands the reins to me and doesn't come up everytime we ride out.

Think I'm possibly just being impatient :eek:

Should I sit on my hands until I've taken a template of her profile, sent it off to the likes of Saddles Direct and see what happens??

Thanks for reading/and /or your input....
One very frustrated owner ;)

Vetwrap

Visit site
IMHO, I think you need to identify specifically what it is that you are looking for, before you go down the Ebay route. It is a lot safer if you know makes/models that you are looking for, as then you should also know what to avoid.

I have bought saddles from Ebay, and have been fine, but I have always known exactly what I was after - and what I expected to receive.

picolenicole

Visit site
Hiya,

Look at this website http://www.sturgesssaddlery.com/ it's my friends business, he does made to measure saddles at a good price :)

If fact me and my pony are on the website, the coloured cob thats doing dressage, jumping and me in a blue top giving him a pat :) I could not get anything to fit my lad once he changed shape a bit at 5 years old, he's now 7 and the saddle still fits. Due to the saddle being made to my cobs shape it only ever needs a small amount of flocking every now and then to refit it.

Really nice saddle too and the first fit is in with the cost :)

runaway

Visit site
Thank you ladies. The only saddle we've ridden in is an Albion K2 jumping saddle.

I've tried an Albion legend and Ideal and as neither of them were wide enough (w and m-w) it's difficult to know what to go for. The Thorowgood we've used rocks so isn't suitable either.

Don't know what makes are good for stockier types in order to look for those makes and try!

Have spoken to 2 saddle suppliers who have suggested taking a template and send to them. Think I'm going to try that! Just wondered if anyone had specific experience of certain makes. Don't have a massive budget so not really looking for new/made to measure.

picolenicole

Visit site
Your welcome.

I did a template of King, using a flexi rule. One measurement at base of withers, one half way along where your saddle would be sat and the last one an inch away from back of the saddle. Without turning the flexi rule round place on a bit of paper and follow the flexi rule with a pen. You can fax or email the template then. (Sorry if you already know how to do this)

I take a new one every month to see how much King has changed shape. Love looking back at the older ones, to see how much hes changed :) (sad I know)

M_G

Visit site
Thank you ladies. The only saddle we've ridden in is an Albion K2 jumping saddle.

I've tried an Albion legend and Ideal and as neither of them were wide enough (w and m-w) it's difficult to know what to go for. The Thorowgood we've used rocks so isn't suitable either.

Don't know what makes are good for stockier types in order to look for those makes and try!

Have spoken to 2 saddle suppliers who have suggested taking a template and send to them. Think I'm going to try that! Just wondered if anyone had specific experience of certain makes. Don't have a massive budget so not really looking for new/made to measure.

From someone wou has had a very round leg at each corner type cob I found the Saddle company's working hunter saddle to be the best fit & the saddles are totally adjustable (with the machine so they fit even the widest beasties) http://www.thesaddlecompany.co.uk/

lochpearl

Visit site
where are you based? have you thought of a saddle company one? they are fully adjustable and as long as you get a good fitter they are fab saddles. They also do a cob one. There is a good website called saddles4horses - google it, there are a lot of second hand saddles on there and they are also in partnership with a good saddle fitter that I use for my own horses.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I fit cobs and natives most of the time - if you'd like to send me photos with a template I could recommend which of our models (Native Pony & Phoenix saddles) might fit - we hardly get any in second hand but you might pick one up used online.

runaway

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just to say thank you for all the responses. We have found a suitable saddle :D I took templates and photographs and sent them to SaddlesDirect. They sent me 3 saddles - one didn't fit at all, one was not brilliant and looked hideous! and the last one (which we actually tried first & the one I liked from the outset) amazingly fitted ;) We hacked out in it that evening to make sure it was suitable. My instructor walked with us and checked for the usual 'rock & roll' and position etc. She said I rode a lot better in it than in her saddle, I actually felt really comfortable and secure. When we took it off I took photos of the dust pattern (had to laugh as my instructor said it showed how dusty the mare was as there was a lovely pattern on her!!) and checked that the 'fit' was even all round - good position over her spine, even each side, no pressure points on shoulders or loins. So I bought it!!!

I did look on the internet to see if I could get the saddle anywhere else 'cheaper' but decided it would be too much of a risk as there's no guarantee another saddle of the same make would fit the same.

Thank you to SaddlesDirect.co.uk for their friendly help and prompt service. I'm very impressed with them.

:)