saddle slippage

vikuca

Visit site
Does a breastplate help with lateral saddle slippage? When my cob sweats the saddle can slip quite badly (it's a treeless, so no issues with fit) and I'm not sure how to solve it. Breastplates are quite expensive so I don't want to buy one unless I'm reasonably sure it will help. I have a feeling they may only help when the saddle slips backwards or forwards.
Also, someone told me that a horse's breathing can be restricted if you use the racing-style breastplates (the ones that are basically a breast girth, rather than the hunter-style V-shaped ones). Surely this isn't true, as you would think racehorses need plenty of air? I would have preferred one of these if I hadn't been told that about the breathing.
Any advice/expertise gratefully received
smile.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
Go to a camping shop. Buy a roll of the matting they put in caravan cuboards to stop things moving. Cut a saddle shaped peice and voilia! I have it under my saddle to stop any slipping, works brilliantly

vikuca

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Go to a camping shop. Buy a roll of the matting they put in caravan cuboards to stop things moving. Cut a saddle shaped peice and voilia! I have it under my saddle to stop any slipping, works brilliantly

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like a nice cheap option - i might just give it a try. much better than an expensive breastplate, if it works

seche

Visit site
Well weve used racing elastics on our pointers and NHs since before I was born... Only one had a wind problem and was hobdayed - this had NOTHING to do hjs breastplates... I think that a strange statement...?

For your cob how about trying a GelEze pad - they are brilliant - round the £30 mark - nothing moves if your worried about a B.plate - Hunting style ones alow more movement - but when your on a gallop travelling 25/35 mph on a saddle little bigger than a mousemat you want something that isnt going to let the saddle move on a wirey fit TB.
The camping mat also sounds good - not heard of that !!!
In proper days of old sharkskins diped in hot water were used....

CBAnglo

Visit site
I think anything rubber like put against skin which is then sweating and a saddle rolling is asking for chafing.

I assume the mats you are talking about are like the limpet type pads? In whihc case you need to be careful as I have known of a horse who wore a limpet out hunting and had the hair ripped off his back when untacked too quickly.

If the saddle is rolling I am afraid it is down to fit. Have a look at the girth as well - you say it rolls once your horse starts sweating or is this once he is worked in?

seche

Visit site
The gel eze is rubber -with holes in it - my etremely thin skinned TB wears one jumping and XC he has a full back of hair. I have a limpet - well its actally an Impact pad which Ive used hunting which has been fine, im not sure id personally use a camping mat but horses for courses!!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Which treeless do you have? I fit and use treeless saddles, and always recommend using a piece of chamois leather under them.

They cost anything from about £3 so are very affordable, and being natural are a great thing to have against the horse's skin.

If you want to pm me feel free
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
Sorry - I wasnt referring to the gel-eze pad more the camping pad.

As for the limpet, you need to follow the instructions carefully when using which is why the hair was removed when the horse was untacked too quickly and not allowed to cool down - I would be concerned that the same kind of effect would happen with a camping mat, especially if the horse sweats up a lot.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Nope, the mat is almost more holes than anything else. I've used it successfully on many horses (astride and aside) for a few years. Looks like nothing much but works well. Mine is in the car - getting back on my pony after 10 months off!!! I can try and get a pic of it?

I use it on its own, with no numnah on either a summer coat, or fully clipped winter coat and never had any rubs or marks, and my mare will be rubbed by the slight movement of numnahs when clipped.

ETA - Let me stress it isn't a camping mat, like the roll mats you would sleep on. Its a grip mat, sold in camping/caravan shops to put in cuboards to stop things moving. Will try and find a link

flowerlady

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The gel eze is rubber -with holes in it - my etremely thin skinned TB wears one jumping and XC he has a full back of hair. I have a limpet - well its actally an Impact pad which Ive used hunting which has been fine, im not sure id personally use a camping mat but horses for courses!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Impact! That's the name I was trying to think of brilliant I used to have one of these so did my friend who had a rolly polly no withers cob. Only thing that worked and they are breathable. Must admit can understand the thing about the limpet sort of thing but I thought will rub horses back.

seche

Visit site
I know EXACTLY what you mean by that now! (apologises for my misinterpretation!)
- The Hoys use them on Ringwood Cockatoo and Moonfleet - they must been good if they are used on a couple of the best eventers on earth at the moment!

Chamoix leather is also good - same effect as the sharkskin

vikuca

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well weve used racing elastics on our pointers and NHs since before I was born... Only one had a wind problem and was hobdayed - this had NOTHING to do hjs breastplates... I think that a strange statement...? [ QUOTE ]

I thought it strange as well, but I really don't know much about these things.
From what people are saying, a non-slip saddle pad of some kind sounds like a better option. I'll try Gel Eze perhaps, as it sounds as though you have tested it as fully as possible!

CrazyMare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

CM you can buy it at most of the large DIY stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I know, was just using the link as an example
smile.gif

cyearsley

Visit site
Am an expert on this as searched for months to find a solution! Not often i refer to myself as an expert but feel this time I can ! Best answer - Impakt pad (now rare as rocking horse poo as no longer made.....monitor ebay, that's where I found mine), second choice Barnsby Grip but but thirdly and especially for cobs, Thorowgood do an anti slip numnah specifically for cobs who have saddle slippage and this is the cheapest at about £20. Barnsby grip pads are about £45 (from online tack shop, more expensive on the Barnsby website!) New Impakt pads cost anywhere between £30 and £50 depending on the thicknesss (professional ones for horses with sensitive backs etc are thicker and more expensive). Never tried limpet pads so can't comment.

Look out for the Thorowgood ones, Frogpool and Chaskit House do them.

Phew - waffle over - good luck!

dwi

Visit site
Are you sure the saddle fits? I bought Daisy a treeless because I was told it would fit her better and that having a flat back saddles would always slip a little on her. It turned out that the saddle didn't fit at all, it was lifting at the back in rising trot and causing her pain. I now have a beautiful treed saddle and it doesn't slip at all