Saddle slipping forward

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hello,
I have a pony whose saddle slips forward onto her shoulders and makes her uncomfortable. The saddle is a wide fit. I have tried a crupper but she bucks and she is for novices to ride so... does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Sarah

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hello and thanks for your reply,
She is a bit porky but more all over than a fat tummy. Unfortunately, I live in France and thay hardly even do saddle widths here, let alone proper fitters. The saddle is full panel but is just a basic Thorowgood Maxam pony....

YorkshireLass

Visit site
I would go back to the crupper.

I break horses to drive so I use cruppers on all the horses I work with.

There are cruppers, and there are cruppers! I would never use anything but a linseed crupper or a Zilco type one. You can get cruppers that are virtualy unpadded, little more than a loop of webbing that goes round the dock. These are totaly unsuitable. They act like a cheese wire round the dock. A good thick well padded crupper is of extra importance when using itwith a saddle as if it slips forward the dock will come under pressure more so than with a crupper as part of a driving harness. With a driving harness the crupper is more to keep the breeching in place.

A crupper should be fitted so that you can put four fingers, side on, not flat, between the strap and the horses rump.

As with any new piece of tack, the horse needs 'breaking' to it... sympatheticly. I find that this is extra important with mares. Theyare understandably touchy about anything that they think might be about to invade their private parts.

To introduce a crupper over several days, or as long as it takes for the horse to accept it...

Start off by raising the tail and laying your arm under it. Slowly replace the tail. When the horse accepts this...

Raise the tail and lay a piece of broom handle under the dock, where the crupper would go. You can wrap the broom handle in a bandage at first.

Then use the crupper. Attatch it to the saddle and work the pony on the lunge so she can feel the crupper as she moves.

When all is well, introduce the rider at walk, then trot, then canter and jumping.

Idea is to de-sensetise the horse. Always raise and lower the tail gently. Rub the top of the dock so the pony knows something is about to happen.

Always keep the crupper spotlessly clean. When you first start using one a blob of vasaline under the dock will help prevent rubbing.

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Thanks for the advice - very interesting.

The crupper was leather but old and basic and it definitely wasn't that loose when fitted. She was fine about it until cantering when it caused her to buck. She is normally the sweetest, calmest pony you could imagine.

She does have a few melanomas under her tail - could these cause discomfort?

Thanks again.

Tiffany

Visit site
I've found that alot of saddles slip forward onto shoulders so horse/pony can't lift up in front. Have you seen the H Girth? Quite new on market, on the expensive side but they do work.
They are made by WOW but don't even think they are on website yet
smile.gif

hunteress

Visit site
The limpet will bond to your horse all I can say is give limpet a ring and they will explain I will now ride with nothing else under my saddle they have different thickness for different disiplins I have the thicker one for hunting as I in the seat nearly all day and my horse is so much freer with this pad on telephone number is; 01404 813653 it will be the best thing youve ever done for your horse.

alsxx

Visit site
I have the same problem with my mare - despite having had the saddle fitted...anyhow on second opinion it would seem that my mare has a wide back - i.e. the distance over her spine is wide, and my saddle although fitting perfectly everywhere else has two narrow a gullett (as in down the middle of the saddle) so the panels sit on either side of her spine slightly and causes it to shoot forward when she moves. I had to have the gullet opened out which sorted the problem as prior to the second opinion, no manner of non-slip pad, point strap, fancy girth you name it would keep it in place!! May be worth looking into?

Good luck!