Saddle slipping forwards on fat horse

FellOutOfFavour

Visit site
Since the grass has finally decided to grow my horse has changed from horse-shaped to giant animated beach ball and her saddle has started to slip forwards (not helped by no wither, forward girth groove, flat back and bum high conformation). I know that once she slims down and looks more like an equine than a small planet the saddle will stop slipping, but in order to achieve this she either needs a gastric bypass or she needs to work her backside off (or more accurately - work her stomach off!).
While attempting to work her stomach off I'd far rather not use her ears as handle bars, so need to attempt to keep her saddle in the right place. Someone suggested a banana/curved girth. Can anyone recommend a brand that has elastic ends (she prefers elastic) and that won't break the bank? (btw non-slip pads are a no, she objects, and I know that technically the slipping indicates saddle fit is not optimal but this really is caused by her giant tummy and I'd rather have the saddle refitted when she is a slightly more normal shape).
Thanks in advance :)

joop

Visit site
I have no helpful input but am avidly following this.
I have a five year old 13.2 cob I have just backed.
Every saddle I have tried on her as soon as we trot it flies up her neck!
Waiting for a saddle fitter to come out (3 weeks wait!).
In the mean time we are bareback! Today was day one and I am sore already lol.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Cruppers work but if the pony has never worn one lunge in it first until it gets used to it.

Laika

Visit site
I have a Fylde Extra Bendy Anatomical but... *deep inhale* it cost me £85 smackers. I nearly cried when I handed over my card for that one!

Horsekaren

Visit site
can I ask why saddle pads are a no no?
I am looking at using one (opposite problem, saddle going back in canter, saddle has been fitted :/ ) and haven't heard anyone say there horse objects to them before, would be interesting to know more?
xx

MochaDun

Visit site
The one and only summer I had this problem with my native/cob cross when I was jumping the saddler recommended getting a limpet pad plus a Stubben string girth and it worked really well but that was about 10 years ago so there may be other different saddle grip pads out there now.

FellOutOfFavour

Visit site
Thank you for the replies everyone :)

can I ask why saddle pads are a no no?
I am looking at using one (opposite problem, saddle going back in canter, saddle has been fitted :/ ) and haven't heard anyone say there horse objects to them before, would be interesting to know more?
xx

I've used non-slip pads of various types with dozens of horses over the years and they would always be my first choice. A good cheap alternative to try is the grippy mesh you can get for keeping stuff on caravan shelves. Unfortunately my horse objects to non slip pads - I've tried 3 different types with her. She's the only horse I've met who objects though so don't let it put you off trying.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If the saddle moves then it doesn't truly fit, dynamically. Now it may be such a small thing as needing a different placement of girth straps, but if a saddle goes back in canter there's an issue. What did the fitter say Horsekaren?

I really don't recommend grippy pads as they can mask issues, ie you don't know when the saddle is fitting even worse as it still doesn't move, and can pull at the skin. I'd not want to wear one on my skin, even worse on my head with hair.

OP I think a forward girth is worth a try and good for you for recognising what the issue is, weight often simply causes the girth groove to become much more forwards, place much more pressure on the back of the saddle, and push it forwards, rather than the weight gain actually changing the fit. Just be sure it's NOT affecting the fit, the two commonest symptoms would be the saddle being tipped back, or it pivoting in the middle, both allowing it to move forwards. These would cause other issues if left unadjusted.