Saddle slipping while mounting!

Emsibuddy

Visit site
Hey, I know this is prob a long shot but thought it was worth a go.
smile.gif

Is there anything I can do apart from getting someone to hold the stirrup on the other side of the saddle while I'm mounting? When theres only two of us on the yard my friend has to hold my stirrup and her horse is left wandering so if theres any tips anyone can give me I'd much apreciate them.
grin.gif
If I don't get someone to hold the stirrup the saddle slips quite a fair bit! There isn't a mounting block on the yard(which I'd most definitly use if there was of course) but I'm going to see if the small step thing is going to be any help when I go later.
The pony is only 14hh I'm 5''to 5'2' if thats any help!

A bit of a funny question but thought it was worth asking!
smile.gif
tongue.gif

thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would definately try and get a mounting block.

But apart from that , yes get your friend to hold the stirrup (she can always put her horse in it's stable or tie it up......)

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
I'd definitely try & get hold of a mounting block.

Is there anything else on the yard you could use to mount from? Such as steps maybe?

I'm 5ft with a 14.2ish pony so I know exactly where you are coming from
smile.gif

The other option is get your friend to give you a leg up? Then again, that still doesn't solve the problem of her wandering horse.... Surely he could be tied up while you're mounting though?
confused.gif

jenbleep

Visit site
Get a mahoosive mounting block! I never get on from the ground because - i admit - i am not flexible/fit/agile whatever you want to call it and pull the saddle over, in turn pulling his back out!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

if you want to make a massive one get a load of breeze blocks
smirk.gif
and make into steps

horsegirl

Visit site
ditto mounting block, we use those plastic steps they sell in hardware shops for about £8. Worth getting a couple of sets as some horses tend to stamp on them!

pagancluf

Visit site
Def get a mounting block - got a good one from B&Q that folds up and has three steps, as you can never make the girth tight enough until you are on and done up.

Emsibuddy

Visit site
Yes, as I said in my post I'm going to try mounting from a sort of high step thing outside his stable today and hopefully that will help and not hurt his back.
smile.gif

Just thought I'd as incase someone had some magical tip to give me !
tongue.gif

And my friends horse doesnt go very far tbh,when she holds my stirrup, it just slows us both down!
Thanks to everyone anyway!
smile.gif

Capriole

Visit site
what type of girth are you using?
i had this problem with my flat backed/no wither cob - using a girth with an elastic insert. now using a stubben trevira string girth and for the first toime in yonks can mount from teh floor without saddle slipage

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
I've forgotten what it's called now but there is a product that you slip into the stirrup & it hangs a few inches lower, looks sort of like a secondary stirrup. It's supposed to make mounting 100% easier & not pull on the horses back (although in my opinion, whatever you use mounting dead from the ground is always going to pull on the horses back)

It was marketed for hunting/endurance riding, so if you're out & fall off/need to get off you take this out of your pocket, slip it onto the stirrup, mount & then remove it & replace back in pocket.

Think it might have been called something like Stirrup-Mate or similar. This was ages ago but somebody else here may know what I mean?
confused.gif

We have 3 breeze block built mounting blocks at our yard which is excellent but it's a bu%%er if you're a shortie & there is nothing about! Lol
tongue.gif

Capriole

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it's a bu%%er if you're a shortie & there is nothing about! Lol
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5'2" and i discovered last night that i CAN get on a 17.1 horse from the floor!

Capriole

Visit site
i didnt think i could, but with nothing to climb on, i didnt want to get a leg up so helper could comment on my weight
smile.gif

trundle

Visit site
I think thats why God invented post-and-rail fencing. The little 2-step mounting blocks are no good for me with my unspringy short legs, so if i have to get back on when I'm inside the school, I use the fence.

jenbleep

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
in the school we sometimes use the plastic polyjump blocks to mount from they are great
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm not if they topple over next to a spooky ponio......cue me being dragged halfway across the school lol!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt think i could, but with nothing to climb on, i didnt want to get a leg up so helper could comment on my weight
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, without a mounting block or leg up I just stand on one leg while the other is in the stirrup, constantly hopping trying to build up enough momentum to get myself up there!
blush.gif
grin.gif

I'm tiny all over but just have the shortest leggies in the whole universe I'm sure! Lol

It isn't pretty & poor horse just looks at me as if to say "are you still down there?!"
grin.gif
grin.gif