Saddle slips to the right/off side.

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
When im riding i've noticed I have to keep pushing my saddle across to the near side. I think it stopping my horse from walking straight.
But im not sure why, the saddle still fits him fine, and the girth is done up enough.

I think it might be my postion, not convinced thats the problem.

He is a cob, but surely if its cause hes got no wither it would also tip the other way??

Any ideas?

Kenzo

Visit site
Have you stood on a box behind him to look and see if there is any differnce in the muscle along the back or indeed near th shoulders and up the neck from when your on board?

teddyt

Visit site
Asymmetry in the horses shoulders
Asymmetry behind the horses shoulders
Uneven flocking in the saddle
A broken tree
Asymmetry in the way the horse moves
Asymetrical rider

A combination of any of the above!

If the saddle is off to one side then it doesnt fit! It may only be a temporary issue due to a change in shape because of the season. But if the saddle is off to one side it is dangerous for you and very bad for the horses back. In particular there will be pressure on the side of the spine. Unfortunately, shifting it over isnt very good for the saddle or the horse either.

It may just need re-flocking on one side or using different girth straps on one side compared to the other. You should get a fitter out to check you and the horse and see if any flocking needs doing or if you need to work on your position.

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Asymmetry in the horses shoulders
Asymmetry behind the horses shoulders
Uneven flocking in the saddle
A broken tree
Asymmetry in the way the horse moves
Asymetrical rider

A combination of any of the above!

If the saddle is off to one side then it doesnt fit! It may only be a temporary issue due to a change in shape because of the season. But if the saddle is off to one side it is dangerous for you and very bad for the horses back. In particular there will be pressure on the side of the spine. Unfortunately, shifting it over isnt very good for the saddle or the horse either.

It may just need re-flocking on one side or using different girth straps on one side compared to the other. You should get a fitter out to check you and the horse and see if any flocking needs doing or if you need to work on your position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i didnt think it was very good for him. It could be a broken tree or need re-flocking. Its an old used saddle, that To be fair gets abused a bit, lol.

Is re-flocking expensive? never had to have it done before, but The saddle only cost 90quid so might be worth getting a new one anyways as its all scratched and scuffed lol

Kenzo

Visit site
Something certainly is not right, as the other person above says, I'd have it checked by a good saddle fitter and also double check (just in case) your position to make sure your not causing (long term) the saddle to wear like this and that your leathers on one side, have not stretched too.
smile.gif

OrangeEmpire

www.equestrian-portrait.com
I used to think it was my horse not walking straight, then I went for a lunge lesson..... upshot is I am collapsing my right shoulder slightly and leaning my hips to compensate. If i sit up properly and open my hips like a proper rider rather than a sack of potatoes the problem miraculously disappears.

Definately check the saddle but I'd have a good look at yourself too!
smile.gif

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
I think the saddle may be the culprit, just phoned the local saddlery its only £35 to have it re-flocked. So shall get that done first, and if the tree is no good im sure they will tell me.

Im going to go in there and its such a snobby shop they are going to say ewww.. you need a new saddle.

Its definatly not stirup leathers as im using someone else today cause my boots didnt fit in mine, and it still tipped.

Not convinced its me as it doesnt happen when i ride my other pony, although I broke my pelvis many years ago on one side, so did consider this.

Im going to go down the saddle route first and see where that goes i think.

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Definately check the saddle but I'd have a good look at yourself too!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just spoke to my friend who also rides Teddi, it slips for her too. So dont think its me. I could do with a lesson anyways. Need to wait for the saddler to come in on thursday and speak to her, and find out when she can do my saddle.
Just said to the shop owner, can i bring my saddle in before xmas as im getting jumps for xmas so will want to use it. Her reply was use it and bring it in after christmas..... well i cant can I it slips and will damage my horse! Der!
lol!! Will speak to the saddler on thurs and she'll probably convince me to buy a new saddle lol!!

teddyt

Visit site
I would double check the cost too. £35 may just be for the fitter to come out and minor adjustments. A complete re-flock with wool (MUCH better than synthetic flock) would be £80-£100.

Ideally the saddle needs to be seen on the horse by the person doing the flocking. If not then a fitter will have to relay info to the flocker. You shouldnt just take the saddle in and get it flocked, particularly with a partial flock, as the flocking could be put in the wrong place. It could be a complete waste of money if the saddle isnt right for the horse in some way. And flocking in the wrong place can cause just as much trouble.

Speak to the saddler on thursday and get them to look at the saddle before you commit to spending any money on it.

Chavhorse

Visit site
I have just had the same problem thought it was me so I asked my trainer for some basic position work on the lunge instead she let me borrow her Passier and suddenly I am sitting perfectly and saddle is staying in place so it is definatly my saddle no longer fitting.

Upshot is I have called the Saddle fitter to come and fit Vardi for a good second hand saddle on Monday and I will trade my own saddle in.

Would recommend getting the fitter out though they need to see the saddle on the horse and also to see you riding in it to fit it effectively.

Good luck

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
ohhhhhh i thought £35 was a bit cheap, and im sure they did say just to bring it down and get it done :S
makes sense to have them see it on the horse though, but if that is the case, maybe a new 2nd hand one would be better sure i could get one for about £250??

teddyt

Visit site
If you could stretch to £350 i would recomend a thorowgood t4 cob. They are so well designed. They do a cob plus for very round cobs too. Although more money you would get an adjustable brand new saddle, with no compromises that you may have to make going 2nd hand.

When looking at second hand you have to consider the flocking too, which will be odd if its been on an asymetrical horse. (many horses are asymetrical). And that will obviously cost money to sort out. Cobs need a certain type of tree and panel, not just a wide version of any old saddle. Finding a decent second hand one might be difficult.

Speak to your saddler, even ring around a few and find out your options and what it will cost.

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
Oh yeah thats true... might have the same problem.

That saddle is quite nice, and designed for Teddi! And the saddle im in now, does give the "perched on top" feeling when you get on.

I shall have to ask very nicely to my lovely boyfriend and see he will allow another £100, makes sense, plus once i've got it, I can sell mine, and get some money back for it.

Hmmm....... descisions lol. I really could do with a nice new saddle.

mickey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would double check the cost too. £35 may just be for the fitter to come out and minor adjustments. A complete re-flock with wool (MUCH better than synthetic flock) would be £80-£100.

Ideally the saddle needs to be seen on the horse by the person doing the flocking. If not then a fitter will have to relay info to the flocker. You shouldnt just take the saddle in and get it flocked, particularly with a partial flock, as the flocking could be put in the wrong place. It could be a complete waste of money if the saddle isnt right for the horse in some way. And flocking in the wrong place can cause just as much trouble.

Speak to the saddler on thursday and get them to look at the saddle before you commit to spending any money on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My saddler comes out to me at least once a yr and does a full exam of the saddle and horse, re-flocks with wool on site, watches me ride and makes adjustments as many times as is required. He charges £50 flat fee (incuding travel).
smile.gif

teddyt

Visit site
To do a complete re-flock you have to take the saddle apart, so if your saddler does that on site for £50 including assessment and travel he is an angel! (or he fancies you
blush.gif
grin.gif
)

mickey

Visit site
He uses wool flock to adjust the panels. He doesn't actually take all the flock out and start from scratch. This is going to sound naive, but is this required?
One thing he has told me is to put pipe insulating foam around my saddle rack and tape on so that the metal is not exposed and making large indentations into the flock.
I definitely don't fancy him whatever he thinks of me.....definitely not.....
blush.gif
laugh.gif

teddyt

Visit site
Partial re-flocks are much cheaper and are fine for temporary adjustments/fine tuning. A complete re-flock isnt necessary every year but is necesary when the flocking becomes hard, lumpy or compressed. At some point lots of little partial adjustments can make the panel lumpy. And over time flocking does become hard and you need to start again. Wool is much better than synthetic because it absorbs sweat and disperses pressure much better. Synthetic flock is a by product of the carpet industry, it doesnt mould as well and it goes hard and lumpy much quicker, its not as good for the horse. A hard, uneven or lumpy panel is very bad for the horses back. The panel should have give to it to absorb pressure and mould to the horses shape.

Foam around the saddle rack is an excellent idea. Tubular racks are very bad for flocking.