saddle suggestions for someone with long thighs who wants thigh support

eezeerider

Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a dressage saddle for my 4 year old Hanoverian, who is 16.2hh, high-withered, M-MW and has big paces.

I've ridden him in a GP for the last 8 months, but haven't felt that secure in it. My problem is I've got very long thighs which mean my knees end up far below the knee rolls on GP's and even a lot of dressage saddles.

We're working on our flatwork and enjoying hacking-out. I'm 6ft tall and like a secure-feeling saddle.

I like the look of the Kieffer Lusitano, as it's got really long saddle flaps and knee rolls that meet my knees :) but I'd not be able to afford a new one and have my GP that I'd need to part-exchange.

Anyone got any similar experience and suggestions on any other suitable saddles?

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Yes, I've had this problem. My horse has a very deep body as well so 'normal' saddles look stupid on her,
I have a vsd saddle, but it is brand new. I had the saddler out because my horse needed a new one anyway, she found a brand new, unbranded saddle, which is made of lovely soft leather with a medium deep seat and long flaps, I think you may need the view of a saddler (it's around £40) a visit, and explain you need one to fit your horse and YOU. Tell them your budget and that you want to swap or px your saddle. Or explain that on the phone before you fork out for one. Good luck! X

eezeerider

Visit site
Thanks for your advice :)

I looked at several different saddles my yard manager has this evening, just to get any ideas of his shape/width etc. The Ideal Suzannah looks quite a good fit on his fairly flat, young back, and its got longer flaps than most saddles!

I will have that chat to the saddler(s) on the phone first and gage their reactions. It's such an expensive and easy thing to get 'wrong' isn't it!

Thanks again:)

Ella19

Visit site
I had this problem. No idea on dressage but try the ideal hunt for a gp. It's more forward cut for us long thighed riders!

Angua2

Visit site
Another with this problem!
I ended up with an old model kieffer - a lech dl - mainly as it was the right size, the tree suited the horse and it was sort of in budget!. I was a little worried about the knee rolls as they were way bigger than I was used to and thought that they would be uncomfortable, but I have found that I now ride with the correct length stirrup, the horse goes better and with everything in the correct position I am terribly comfortable
:)

eezeerider

Visit site
Thanks to all for thoughts so far!

Angua 2 and Venevidivici, having both bought Kieffers that you're very happy with, do you have views on whether £800 is ok/too much to pay for a good condition second-hand Kieffer (Lusitano I think)?

Also, when buying second-hand from a saddler do you get any sort of 1 year guarantee on tree or girth straps etc? I see Kieffer have a 5 year guarantee on their trees, but I imagine this will be lost to me, even if saddle is less than 5 years old, because I won't have the original purchaser's receipt.

(last night I dreamt for a long time about Ideal Suzannahs versus Kieffers :confused: and the quest to find a trustworthy saddler :( ... needless to say I am looking forward to resolving this one!!)

Venevidivici

Visit site
Ooh,don't think I can be a whole load of help on that-I got mine new-think it was £1500. It is an absolutely beautiful,well made saddle tho. My saddler said he thinks the Piets are such a piece of good craftsmanship as to be almost like Art....bless him:) All I can say us I'd do as much Internet research on 2nd hand prices (or even ask a friendly,non-involved saddler? There are some on here I think-start a new thread addressed to Saddlers?) and see what u find out. Do kieffers hold their value better than ideals? (I dunno,just a thought in case u want to sell on in future) I dont know how much new Lusitanos sell for but if its similar to Piets and its in v good nick,£800 doesnt sound horrendous? Good luck tho:)

monikirk

Visit site
My new GP saddle has longer flaps as I am tall from hip to knee. Got my saddle from 'Black Country' saddles. They will make saddle with longer length flap, they do a super dressage saddle too.