Pictures Saddle suggestions, large shire horse

The Trooper

Visit site
Hey folks.

Just looking for some suggestions as to what saddles to look at for my mare Bonnie. She is quite wide (XW) according to wintec gauge and has large shoulders (She is a shire after all).

I'd really like to pick up a second hand Albion GP but I'm not sure if the cut would suit her or not.

FB_IMG_1557566645862.jpgFB_IMG_1557566643576.jpg

I intend to get a saddle fitter out after I've had her back looked at but just looking for ideas as to what to look for. I don't have the cash for a brand new one at the moment.

Thanks all.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Albion have several different trees so it may be that one suits and another doesn’t. She’s big so actually should be easier to fit in a lot of ways - saddle fitter should bring a few and find something suitable

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Black Country have loads of different trees that you can have different panels on.
I would say look at the ones with half panels as they free up the shoulder.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a Saddle Company saddle made for my Clydesdale, had it refitted to the IDx and then bought a Solution saddle for the Westphalian, which also fits the (maxi) cob - they come in different sizes to fit the rider rather than the horse. You might be able find either of those second-hand. The SC wasn't expensive when new.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Ideal H&C saddles go up to 18''. I bought mine second hand for £500, and that was about nine years ago. Lovely saddle, although I have no idea if they are any good for shires. Can't see why not. Bonnie is gorgeous!

https://www.idealsaddle.com/catalogue/view/3/wide-fitting-saddles#ad-image-1

I love these saddles, but they are on a hoop tree which probably wont work for something that is only an XW in a wintec.

OP does your saddler carry second hand stock? Mine doesnt but she will come out and tell me exactly what to look for and I toddle off and find it, then she comes back to flock and fit. If they do then its easier as you can try on lots and work out which works that way.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have a Farrington GP on my part bred Shire, who is tall, wide and has huge shoulders. OP, I would in your position, get a really good saddler to sort you out. Shires are not necessarily long in the back, mine certainly isn't.

I have also found that as the horse got fit his shape changed a lot, he has needed more tweaks to his saddle than any other horse I have.

The Trooper

Visit site
I love these saddles, but they are on a hoop tree which probably wont work for something that is only an XW in a wintec.

OP does your saddler carry second hand stock? Mine doesnt but she will come out and tell me exactly what to look for and I toddle off and find it, then she comes back to flock and fit. If they do then its easier as you can try on lots and work out which works that way.

Yeah the saddler I have used in the past carries second hand saddles, as does (I think) the one I am planning to use to fit Bonnie. My old saddler came out and said to use a thicker numnah as she didn't have any spare gullets with her for my Wintec breaking saddle - not good service imo and I am reluctant to use them again.

The one I am looking at using now is very local, literally 10 mins from the yard and has mixed reviews upon googling.

I have a Farrington GP on my part bred Shire, who is tall, wide and has huge shoulders. OP, I would in your position, get a really good saddler to sort you out. Shires are not necessarily long in the back, mine certainly isn't.

I have also found that as the horse got fit his shape changed a lot, he has needed more tweaks to his saddle than any other horse I have.

Her shape has changed significantly which is what is making me think it's a saddle issue.

I have seen a Wide Jefferies on Ebay for reasonably cheap, I tried Belles XW Jefferies on her and it's a tad too wide so I think the W would fit her ok but not sure whether to gamble and but it or not...