Saddle testing - Scientific pressure pad analysis.

kerilli

Visit site
i saw something ages ago where they put pressure pads under saddles and the results were relayed to computers as the horse was ridden and jumped, so that it was obvious where problem areas might be etc.
Please, does anyone know where there is one of these testing places, or otherwise the name of someone who does the testing?
thankyou.

ann-jen

Visit site
I'm not sure where you can get that done other than I've seen pictures from one of these tests in one of the Mary Wanless books so it might say in the book??
Otherwise you could try a "Port Lewis Impression Pad" to check the saddle fit yourself. Its basically a huge pad that is filled with this red gunge - a bit like the stuff dentists use to do an impression of your mouth. Anyway you stick it under your saddle like an ordinary pad and then ride as normal for 20-30 minutes. When you take it off you should be able to see if the saddle is causing pressure anywhere by any divots or thin patches in the impression material. In severe cases you might even see daylight through the pad when you hold it up.
You can get one of these pads from www.bettersaddles.co.uk

SpottedCat

Visit site
Bloody hell that is expensive for what it is! Pluse it looks like it could cause all kinds of problems in the wrong hands as surely if you don't sit straight, that will affect the impression left in the pad? You could then show to a saddler and get your saddle altered so it no longer fitted the horsE?

Far better IMO if you are worried about saddle fit to get a reputable saddler out to look at it for you who will spot things like you sitting crookedly etc and advise on whether the saddle fits or not.

helencharlie

Visit site
There is a saddlers is sennybridge in Brecon which offer this service. Name is Llwynon saddlery. Probably to far for you to travel to, as you have to go there with your horse. He wont come out to you

kerilli

Visit site
i've found that now, thankyou. thinking of making a long trip...
wink.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
Well I probably see things from a different perspective from you because I'm a vet and I have to look at horses with sore backs all the time. I find this pad very useful in determining whether the saddle is at fault or not and a lot of the time it is! I by no means expect people to rush out and buy a pad instead of using a qualified saddle-fitter and it is by no means a quick fix route - at the end of the day if it does high light a problem you still need to liase with the saddler to sort the problem out. I've seen instances where a saddle has appeared a good fit on exam but when we've tested them with the pad on we've found there have been load bearing points causing considerable pressure - and its not always the obvious things like the saddle points - there is a brand of saddle that is marketed as very comfortable for horses with back problems and they have row of discs within the panel and I have seen a case where one of these discs was causing a distinct pressure point.
Also in terms of riders sitting unlevelly - there is a lot a decent saddler can do to adjust the saddle to help with this - if the rider is sitting square then its a much easier load for the horse to carry. Modern air flocking systems such as flair means this can be done on the spot to correct rider balance by adjusting the air in one or more of the 4 airbags. Usually riders that sit crooked create crooked horses which are then challenging to fit saddles to correctly as one shoulder may be considerably bigger than the other as the horse adjusts to the assymmetry of the rider. By correcting the riders assymmetry, and sitting the rider in the correct point of balance often these issues resolve - this is where flair comes into its own as it can be adjusted to keep the rider sitting correctly as the horse's assymmetry resolves. This could theoretically also be done with a conventionally flocked saddle obviously but its not half as convenient to have to send your saddle away to be adjusted all the time.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I probably see things from a different perspective from you because I'm a vet and I have to look at horses with sore backs all the time. I find this pad very useful in determining whether the saddle is at fault or not and a lot of the time it is! I by no means expect people to rush out and buy a pad instead of using a qualified saddle-fitter and it is by no means a quick fix route - at the end of the day if it does high light a problem you still need to liase with the saddler to sort the problem out. I've seen instances where a saddle has appeared a good fit on exam but when we've tested them with the pad on we've found there have been load bearing points causing considerable pressure - and its not always the obvious things like the saddle points - there is a brand of saddle that is marketed as very comfortable for horses with back problems and they have row of discs within the panel and I have seen a case where one of these discs was causing a distinct pressure point.
Also in terms of riders sitting unlevelly - there is a lot a decent saddler can do to adjust the saddle to help with this - if the rider is sitting square then its a much easier load for the horse to carry. Modern air flocking systems such as flair means this can be done on the spot to correct rider balance by adjusting the air in one or more of the 4 airbags. Usually riders that sit crooked create crooked horses which are then challenging to fit saddles to correctly as one shoulder may be considerably bigger than the other as the horse adjusts to the assymmetry of the rider. By correcting the riders assymmetry, and sitting the rider in the correct point of balance often these issues resolve - this is where flair comes into its own as it can be adjusted to keep the rider sitting correctly as the horse's assymmetry resolves. This could theoretically also be done with a conventionally flocked saddle obviously but its not half as convenient to have to send your saddle away to be adjusted all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you, but for £195 I could have my vet and my saddler and my chiropractor out and therefore benefit from a heck of a lot of expert advice rather than spending my hard-earned cash on something which although it would highlight problems, would not actually tell me anything about the cause....

flyingfeet

Visit site
Can hire them too - which is a lot cheaper.

There is a global conspiracy on Port Lewis pads, as the US and Canada all sharge $100 to ship, which means it works out at the same price.

The manufacturer has price fixed which I hate!!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can hire them too - which is a lot cheaper.

There is a global conspiracy on Port Lewis pads, as the US and Canada all sharge $100 to ship, which means it works out at the same price.

The manufacturer has price fixed which I hate!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if I could hire one I'd be really interested in trying one. But for £195, I can think of a million better things to spend the cash on.

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Now if I could hire one I'd be really interested in trying one. But for £195, I can think of a million better things to spend the cash on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like a new saddle!!!
grin.gif

To be fair its not something you'd need to own, unless you were very paranoid about your saddles.

Makes you wonder if you could make something similar from play dough......

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like a new saddle!!!
grin.gif

To be fair its not something you'd need to own, unless you were very paranoid about your saddles.

Makes you wonder if you could make something similar from play dough......

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL do you know that was my first thought when I saw it - some strong material and a lot of plasticine, an hour or so with the sewing machine, and hey presto....

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Speaking as a saddler- i have a Heather Moffat Saddle pad- its the same stuff as her seat saver so it moulds perfectly to the horse and when you take the saddle off you can see exactly how it fits/ gaps/ pressure areas etc. ok so it soon reverts to shape but as i flock on site it tells me everything i need to know. i have had it for years but it was about £50 i think.

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
The electronic pressure pads are difficult to use and considerable scientific expertise would be required to draw any reasonable conclusions about saddle fit from the data they produce. They also cost about £12k. So in practice the best way to know if a saddle fits well is to ask an experienced saddler.
smile.gif