Saddle woe (part two - Dressage)

Counterpoint

Visit site
My horse recently dropped performance and actually took the odd lame step. She has a history of issues so I thought it was a recurrence, but the vet and physio think its a sore back related to my saddle!

I'm totally mortified because I had it checked recently but I wasn't convinced anyway and then when the physio shone her phone down the gullet you could see that it was bridging (width and balance were ok)

Mare is a largeish WB but M/MW width was flat backed but has dipped slightly (saddle was fitted at 5+ she's almost 8 now) this may be in part due to her other issues but I'd like to keep her as right as possible for as long as possible.

I LOVE my dressage saddle - its an Equipe Emporio, but now I need something as similar as possible to ride in (eg monflap, med deep, close contact) but with a slightly more curved tree. Any suggestions?

Lgd

Visit site
I think the Equipe trees can be altered - worth asking.

The saddle may potentially be creating some of the change in shape if it is not quite right for her.
I love the WOW saddles because they are so adjustable so you can get it right for both horse and rider. Ask around to see who is recommended in your area (not sure where you are) and have them out to try it. If you don't like air flock they now do one with conventional flock as well (Classique) and you can get flocked panels for the Competition version.

Counterpoint

Visit site
I think the Equipe trees can be altered - worth asking.

The saddle may potentially be creating some of the change in shape if it is not quite right for her.
I love the WOW saddles because they are so adjustable so you can get it right for both horse and rider. Ask around to see who is recommended in your area (not sure where you are) and have them out to try it. If you don't like air flock they now do one with conventional flock as well (Classique) and you can get flocked panels for the Competition version.

Thanks, I think they can change the width but not the curve, I will double check.
I love the idea behind wows, but I've tried several and I really don't like riding in them - they are too bulky and the seat is wierd. Fwiw the horse likes the flair system, I just don't like the seats. Also they are a lot heavier than the Eqipes.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I've found a saddler who can make a lovely mono flap dressage to your specs. Has 10 different styles of tree so you should find something suitable. All for around £1400 so not bank breaking

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's very rare that bridging is caused by too flat a tree, even if the balance hasn't changed its more likely that shes come up front and back rather than droppedin the middle. How does the tree look on her when she lifts her back? The saddle needs to be girthed, then do a belly lift. Sometimes if they go croup high and get a fraction wider, or come up in front it causes these issues without anything else looking "off".