Saddlery/bridle making courses - anyone know of any good ones?

thespanishmane

Visit site
I, like many others have loads of little repairs that need doing, but would love to do them myself, and maybe even make a headcollar or bridle to my own design - has anyone been on any courses that they could recommend? I dont want to do a full time course as I work full time (and far too old be an apprentice) but I am a pretty decent dressmaker, so I have half an idea!
any help greatly appreciated!

SpruceRI

Visit site
No idea I'm afraid, but I'd be interested in the replies as I'd like to be able to do the same.

My question has always been, where do you source the leather from, that sort of thing.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I started to train to be a saddler about ten years ago. Had to give it up as overdid the practice and ended up damaging the nerves in my arms/wrists (double hand stitching). Still have all the gear though and will try again some day :D

Anyhoo, I digress, sorry :rolleyes:

If I remember rightly, there were short courses run by Master Saddlers both in Derbyshire and Cumbria. I would think that these days you would simply have to Google and do a bit of research that way :D

It's quite a physically demanding occupation (as I found out lol - oh, nothing to do with fitness, more strength and finess really). Also, if you have children, make sure you have somewhere super safe to keep the knives (extremely sharp!) and the dyes (extremely poisonous if ingested!).

As to where to buy, again Google. You'll find a lot of the suppliers to be based in Walsall. Very friendly and helpful :D. The museum of saddlery in Walsall is well worth a visit :D

irishcob

Visit site
I did a course with David May in Cumbria (www.saddlerycourses.com) and thought he was great. I now have my own leather goods business which he gave me the confidence to set up.

His beginners 1 week course would teach you enough to do your own basic repairs, and you can make a nice headcollar on the course as your project!

thespanishmane

Visit site
Thank you Irish cob- that was one I had looked at - all very expensive though - the course, the travel and somewhere to stay! Still, might combine it with a sort-of holiday though!

Lakelandcross

Visit site
I did a course with David May in Cumbria (www.saddlerycourses.com) and thought he was great. I now have my own leather goods business which he gave me the confidence to set up.

His beginners 1 week course would teach you enough to do your own basic repairs, and you can make a nice headcollar on the course as your project!

I did one of Davids courses and can highly recommend them. He does specific courses on bridlework, repairs and reflocking. I did the bridlework course and he adjusted it to suit each persons needs. People made bridles, head collars and harness parts when I was there and he will answer questions on other stuff if you ask.

Haffy Lover

New User
Visit site
I've done David May's bridlework part 1 and part 2 course in Cumbria and can recommend them, I'm now making made to measure bridles, headcollars etc in my workshop at home. Look at Cumbria School of Saddlery. They may be expensive and as you say there's travel and accommodation to think of but it was great to have some 'me' time learning to do something I now love.