Saddles Barrie Swain/Kay Humhpries

lizwharton

Visit site
Hi there,
Does anyone have experience of the Semiflex and Mondial Saddles ,made by Barrie Swain and fitted by Kay Humphries. Would you recommend them. Thanks.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
would recommend both of these people as the best saddle maker and fitter in the UK. I personally don't 'do treeless' but if I did then the Mondial would be the only one I would trust. The Semi flex is fantastic. I have ridden in both and love the feel of both and have used Barry/Kay saddles for about 15 years now, One is still like new 15 years on.

Bozzy

Visit site
I would love a semi flex but just can't afford one
frown.gif
I'm on the look out for a second-hand one but had no luck.

Luxor

New User
Visit site
Yes just bought a Semiflex one two months ago. After spending a number of years and a vast amount of money on saddles that did not fit (by 4 different Master Saddlers), this is the one that my horse is most happy in, Kay has fitted it very well and is in keeping with my thoughts about the fit.
Horse immediately went better, u can feel his movement so much more and came up through the shoulders much more than expected. His work improved, was much more willing to work in an outline and to come through from behind, is a lot more fluid in his movements. In all I now have a happy horse.

Saddle is very well made and very comfortable to ride in. Kay is very determined to get the right saddle and fit for the horse.

Now have 3 saddles for sale and would not buy anything else.

spaniel

Visit site
I cant praise Barry highly enough as a saddlemaker. I have a superb dressage saddle made to measure by him and am now lusting after a semiflex for my young ID.

jacksmum

Visit site
I have just got the semi-flex and love it! My horse is short coupled and has constantly suffered with a bad back and i couldn't find a saddle suitable so as a last resort (cause of price!) i tried one and now wouldn't ride in anything else. He is so much happier and open in it plus i find it really comfortable. If your ever in Oxfordshire you could always come and try mine
smile.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Fantastic, thank you!

You couldnt PM me with the price you paid for yours could you? A photo would be even better.....Im keen to know how wide the gullet is at the back and how big the weight bearing surfaces are.

Kicking myself as I missed a demo of these saddles last autumn quite local to us held by Barry himself.

kerilli

Visit site
yes, Barrie's about the best there is, and Kay's the same. can't recommend them highly enough. what they don't know about saddles, trees and saddle fitting, isn't worth knowing.
the most important thing is the trees they're built on (flat like the horse's back, not banana-shaped like a lot of trees) and the lovely soft flat wide panels - like sitting on top of two cushions, not two rolling pins!
i have Kay's Madonna dressage saddle and it's wonderful. years old, on its 2nd or 3rd horse now, still perfect.
tbh the semi-flex isn't THAT different from what Barrie was doing before. all his saddles have totally adjustable trees, the semi-flex just has shorter points with plastic extensions that flex, so that the panels move more with the horse, as it moves and as it changes shape.
Barrie's fab, and if he's in a good mood, he'll do anything for you, but if he's in a bad mood, i always leave him alone!
am trying to decide whether to get a semiflex jump now, or get him to make something special for me.
i just might be able to get one for you at a discount, pm me if you like.

kerilli

Visit site
forgot to say, Spaniel, the weight-bearing surfaces are lovely and wide and flat, very cushiony and soft. gullet is the usual 3 fingers' width afaik.
have a look at this page:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl...l%3Den%26sa%3DG
the 4th pic along from the left is of one of Barrie's saddlers working on a typical Barrie saddle... no idea if it's a semiflex or not, but they're all v. similar underneath (owen panel obviously isn't like that though!)
that might give you some idea if you haven't seen one inverted.

spaniel

Visit site
Thanks for that Kerrilli. The panels look the same as the ones on my existing dressage saddle, you can tell they are Barrys!!

I want one even more now! Wonder if he will take my old saddle in exchange as its now redundant!!!

Bosworth

Spaniel - just a thought I know he won't do an exchange on your old saddle - but he might - just might alter it to become a semi flex which would be your cheaper option - they remove the tree - cut back the points , attach plastic points and refit into your saddle - hey presto - semi flex saddle.

lizwharton

Visit site
Hi there. I have seen a Mondial and was impressed is it totally treeless or like the Semiflex with flexible points do you know. How long have you had the saddle.

Bosworth

THe mondial is treeless - however it has a cantle and a gullet and looks like a standard treed saddle.

Spaniel - am I due to meet you - would be good - is it something to do with JM07? I can't promise that Barry will do it - but if you know to ask you might be lucky.
wink.gif

kerilli

Visit site
spaniel, i don't think bosworth's right, i spoke to barrie last wk about having a jump saddle altered to the semiflex, and he said it wouldn't be worth it, it would cost over £1000 just because of the patent on the semiflex.

spaniel

Visit site
I can feel shopping coming on!! I will ask just in case, you never know.

And yes Bosworth it is something to do with JM07 ( I have friends in dire straights!)!!!

ISHmad

Visit site
I've never used the Mondial or the Semiflex, but our horses all have Humphries & Swain treed saddles and have never gone better Some are serge lined which are even better as the horse can really work his back into the saddle.

Couldn't recommend them enough, whatever type of saddle you decide to go for.

appyjude

Visit site
DITTO all of the above - and for Western enthusiasts - try western-saddler.com - she uses Kay for her english clients and I can't recommend her highly enough either.

Jude.

flamine

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have an 18" black Semi-Flex dressage saddle which I sadly have to sell
frown.gif
have owned it for a year now but it does not fit my new horse. Does anyone know where I should advertise it???