Saddles for a short backed horse

4whitesocks

Visit site
I'm dreaming slightly but....currently riding Sid (16h 1/2 Id, 1/2 TB) in a 17 5 Wintec GP...it's fine on him but as it was my 'until I find the right horse saddle' I now want to start dreaming/saving for a leather one for him
we are pretty bereft of saddle fitters over here but if I had an idea of what might suit then I can call around and see who stocks what

He has a short back but relatively normal everything else....you can see the ID in him and he's really muscled up since I got him but is still ostensibly a 'little horse' ....won't have a fortune to spend but would like to be able to do a bit of everything in it (can borrow a good dressage saddle that fits him so xcountry/jumping probably more NB)

I'm 6ft so 17 5 is the shortest I can go...

this is him (not me on board)
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/4w...ent=sidjen1.jpg

Louby

Visit site
Hi, my horse is short backed too. He can only take a 17 inch whereas I needed a 17.5. My saddler said that the sweeping backed saddles suiting him as the sweeped back meant I had a bit more room but the saddle was only a 17 inch. Unfortunately they are expensive and we had to double what we could afford (thank heavens for credit cards!!) The type I mean are like Jaguar and Amerigo where the 'padded' bit that sits on the horses back sweeps up towards the cantle. Hope that makes sense.

Nari

Visit site
A flat seat & a pommel that isn't cut back should give you a little more room in the seat. Keeping knee rolls to a minimum might make it comfier to position your leg correctly too.

If you're feeling rich look at wow saddles because they can put an 18" seat on a 17" pane.

Oldred

Visit site
Look at Ideal Classic Europa's (GP). They are available new but not that expensive or find a secondhand one. They suit my short backed cob and seem to sit well on most horses because they are not too long or too flat in the tree.

mrussell

Visit site
If you got a WOW, you could have short panels and a standard seat..which is what Ive got on my 16hh croup high horse.

Sadly, at £1500 for a new one you might need to look for a second hand one and get it customised - but its an option if you get stuck.

dixie

Visit site
If you're happy with the Wintec why don't you look at the Bates, which is the leather version and I feel quite roomy in the seat area.

druid

Visit site
If you can box him to Holmestead they do on sit fitting and have LOTS of very nice saddles (Albion, Stubben, Barnsby etc.) second hand as well as their new models

katiejaye

Visit site
I have a lovely Black country leather GP which I had made for Louis about 3 years ago. He's also short backed and it's a great all rounder. I have a dressage and SJ saddle now so don't have any need for the GP anymore. If you are interested pm me.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Dawn

You may be ablt to go to an 18" in a different make. A saddle Company 18" is shorter than several other brands of 18" saddle, because the pads don't stick out behind do much. for your leg length I would recommend an event saddle, more forward cut than a standard Gp which will allow you more room in the saddle and also to shorten up to jumping length. retail prices, £550 part and part, £795 all leather , and if you really want luxury - the buffalo version at £995

J