Saddles for babies (human not horse!!)

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Hello!

I haven't been on here for a very long time as I've had a baby 9 months ago and have been rather side-tracked!

But it just occurred to me the other day that there may be such a thing as a saddle cradle or something similar so I could take little one with me (me on my horse and baby on bomb proof 30yo pony).

Now I know this could be a little controversial as there may be some who are very against taking a baby out hacking from a safety perspective but I am aware of this and haven't made my mind up as to whether I'll go ahead with it but just to mitigate against the thread being sidetracked in to a safety debate I'm really just keen to find out what folks know about "baby saddles"!! :D

MileAMinute

Visit site
Could you not use a carry sling type device instead, that keeps baby close to you?
I know you haven't decided but personally think it would be a health and safety nightmare, any horse can trip/stumble and not recover, particularly an older one but at the end of the day it's your choice :)

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I certainly would never have a tiny child on a lead rein from another horse at that age. Nor would I want to be riding with a baby in a sling.

Basket saddles keep a child on board but, they are only supportive of the lower back so not very comfortable.

I do not care how 'bomb proof' any horse and pony are it is not safe for such a tiny tot to be on a pony and led from a horse. At that age they do not need more than a few minutes.
Plus you cannot get a hat to fit a kiddy of that age.

Horseymumma

Visit site
You be better using the money you spend on a baby carrier on some child care so you can go out riding on your own! I'm sorry, but I have a 10 month old son and I wouldn't even consider this! You must be completely crazy to even think about putting your little one at risk in this way. :eek:

dominobrown

Visit site
We had a good laugh at work, apparently you can get 'baskets' that strap onto the back of the horse which you can stick a baby in. God knows what happens if the horse takes off/ bolts etc etc and why you would to stick a baby in one! Can't imagine it is very safe.

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
As mum to a 5 month old I'm struggling not to tell you exactly what I think in very plain English. Please do the sensible thing and leave your precious baby with someone whilst you ride. No horse is totally bombproof and you can't plan for the unexpected.

Dusty85

Visit site
Saw this post earlier after only the OP had posted and thought exactly what all the most recent posters have thought...only I didn't post anything as I didnt want to start an argument.

Im glad the others have though- you KNOW that this is wrong- else you wouldnt have asked us not to have a go.

Sorry- this is an open forum and we will haul you out on this as common sense seems to have seriously failed you......:eek::eek:

If your friends/husband/family havent already told you that you are mad for even considering it then maybe the afore mentioned lack of common sense is a family trait....

showpony

Visit site
Snorkey I didn't lol, I told you where was best to sit.

still cannot believe that a mother would really be contemplating putting a baby on a pony . . The mind boggles!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Someone on this forum had a severe pasting for asking about saddles for putting her 2 year old on her quiet cob which she would walk alongside- yet people are suggesting saddles for a 9 month baby to be led off a second horse???? Wtf!

Abacus

Visit site
I don't think anyone has agreed that the baby can be led from another horse. My post said that I would only put a baby on a lead rein. I would add to that that I didn't do this with my son, who didn't ride until about 2, at which point he was led by one person and held by another. Not sure I see the point in a 9 month old riding at all, but if the OP wants to, she should certainly be on foot next to the baby.

Silent Knight

Visit site
A a baby should be protected from all risk at all times. It would be crazy to endanger a child in this way. Even a small hiccup on the pony could have catastrophic outcome and social services would certainly be interested in this activity. Children grow up before you can blink. Best wait a bit I think.

Silent Knight

Visit site
I forgot to mention. You baby's neck muscles are not strong enough to safely take the additional weight of a riding hat yet. I'm sure you wouldn't put it on a horse without one :)

Auslander

Visit site
Reading my post back, it could be seen as condoning putting babies on horses! Just for the record, I was simply aghast at the saddle that basically holds the child on the pony, and removes any requirement for the kid to learn to balance themselves. I personally don't feel that small children should ride regularly until they are sufficiently developed for riding astride not to damage their joints.

Tnavas

Visit site
Google inky dinky saddles. Not used myself but there are vids on youtube I believe

My friend has one of those for her daughter.

Personally I think it irresponsible to be hacking a baby out with you riding your own horse as well - kids that age are very good at wriggling and climbing off their pony without a care in the world

Take her for a walk on her pony on the lead rein with you walking beside her and holding onto the child's leg - just in case.

At 2½ - 3 yrs old they have a little more concept of height and their safety and are more inclined to stay on - but I've noticed that my friends daughter will suddenly decide she wants off and she goes to get herself off whether the pony is stationary or not.