saddles for barrel shaped cobs?

Jericho

Visit site
I have a very round (not fat!) trad 13.3hh cob who has been fitted for a number of different saddles but I am finding everyone is just slipping round him because he has absolutely no withers and is shaped like a barrel. The saddler I use has now run out of ideas and saddles!

Does anyone with similar roly poly ponies have similar issues and how did you solve the problem? Any advice gratefully received!!!

FoxhillBelle

Visit site
I have a Kent & Masters cob GP, it fits me & my IDxCob really well, doesn't roll unlike other brands u tried i.e GFS, Thorowgood, wintec etc.

It has a fully adjustable gullet like the wintec but also has adjustable panels for those horses that are odd shaped.

It has a leather seat which I find very comfortable (have delicate seat bones).

I bought mine brand new 2 months ago, had been searching for a second hand one for months without success, it was like searching for a needle in a haystack.

I haven't been dissapointed, its a great saddle for both me & my mare :)

darkhorse123

Visit site
i had awintec for my cob - not right. I then thought of tryng treeless so bought a very cheap libra saddle and pad - loved it, no problems. Its lasted 2 years but is now looking shabby so have now bought a barefoot cheyenne - love it :D

myfatpony

Visit site
I have a GP Witec 17inch for my Fell and boy does it wobble, but at least i now have fab ballance trying to keep it centre. It is very high on his back and a bit tight but i've used it for 2 years now for everything incl XC and Dressage and he seems fine in it. Can't afford a new saddle yet so it will have to do untill i can

Foxhunter49

Visit site
The problem with round horses is that there is to much flocking in most saddles for them to fit securely.

I have had several saddles made for such horses/ponies from templates puff Maurice Knapper a saddler from West Country Bridle Makers.

He will either soft flock or flock with felt or gel. Anyway he does it the saddle does not move. He will also off set the girth straps for a 'round'

The good thing is that he will get you to make a template and will send you a saddle to try - he will also alter a saddle you have to fit.

Hiloire

Visit site
I also have a kent and masters, really comfy, fits really well and doesn't move!! It has different girth placements too so you can properly tailor the fit for your horse, well worth the investment!! Good luck finding one to suit yours!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thorowgood GP. Although creature in my sig looks quite slim, this was coming out of winter and he'd really dropped weight. :eek:. The saddler said GP, not cob, as did the amazing lady on my yard who was with the French Olympic team for ages. She has one for her youngster who is changing shape, obviously. It has the different girth placements and you can replace the girth straps as they come off easily. A fab feature!

cassie summers

Visit site
i am going to try a thorowgood t8 cob gp its half leather looks like a really nice saddle i also want dont anything to heavy i have a shire x who i have recently backed but she is 8 years old and has no withers i have a wintec 2000 at the moment but i dont like it at all

Last edited:

tibby

Visit site
Hi, I have had the same problem, after trying several different saddles, I bit the bullet and sent a template and several photos to Matt Marlow ( had seen good comments on here) I now have a custom made working hunter saddle which fits him like a glove, is excellent quality, has a variety of girthing options and is comfy for me, I no longer have to keep twisting to the right to straighten up. I still use a thin prolite saddle stay pad which I have trimmed to fit my saddle result one very stable saddle!!!!!!!!!! Would thoroughly recommend, wish I had done it earlier I would have saved a fortune.

katherine1975

Visit site
I have the Kent and Masters cob GP saddle (leather version of Thorowgood), it is good as you can change the gullets and the girth strap positions. I also use an Acavallo gel pad under a thin numnah which helps a lot!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The TG Cob works for many wide horses - it's not the flattest tree available so wont' work for all. Synthetic trees on average do not work for the trickiest fits - it costs a lot of money to make a new one, so they aim at the mass market.

I fit for Native Pony and we have lot of options for wide horses. Other models that may work (all wooden spring trees as are ours which the right fitter can adjust a bit) include the Haflinger tree which I think is Jeffries and/or GFS, and also the Ideal H&C tree.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Tried every saddle going for my half Friesian mare with no withers, round barrel and high behind (14.2 at so-called "withers", 15.1 at croup); everything rolled and crept up her neck. Finally had a saddle made in Portugal to template, with flexible points and FIVE girth straps. Beautiful fit! And never moves: happiness :)

dotty1

Visit site
I have a Barnsby Haflinger & cob saddle for my witherless hippo. I also use an Acavallo thin sticky pad which helps a lot. I am waiting to try a flexi girth so hopefully with all the above help there will be o slippage!!. It is difficult if there is nothing to 'wedge' a saddle in the right place.