Saddles for big bottomed beauties riding big barrelled beasts...

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for saddles to suit a round cob mare? Preferably low - mid budget so second hand would be ideal, fitting comes about beauty in this case!

Any suggestions gladly received.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Get a master saddle fitter to come out with a selection of 2nd hand saddles. It's not worth second guessing, as the wrong saddle might become an expensive mistake to fix.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I wont be buying one without first getting the opinion of my saddler, however some certain brands lend themselves to certain types - so that's really what I'm asking Horserider.

alainax

Visit site
I have an ample derrière and find my GP Kent and Masters very comfortable. Brand new comes in at around the £800 mark, has adjustable gullets and very well made. I've had mine a year and looks as good as new :)

I have no idea about how they fit on cobs however.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I have had success with an Ideal saddle which was made especially for my cob and also with a Walshall made saddle that I can't identify unfortunately but for the H/W cob I bought it for, no saddler has found one to fit him better. That's why I suggested getting the saddler to bring out some second hand ones, as the makes he though would be fine, in practice, weren't.

Sorry, that's not really much help...:eek:

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
The Native Pony saddle fitters will be used to fitting tubbies. They aren't cheap though :(. Occasionally they have a choice of second hand ones and the benefit is that the tree can be adjusted in the future if the horse changes shape.

skint1

Visit site
I have an ample derrière and find my GP Kent and Masters very comfortable. Brand new comes in at around the £800 mark, has adjustable gullets and very well made. I've had mine a year and looks as good as new :)

I have no idea about how they fit on cobs however.

Yep, same here. My big butt fits in it very well and my mare is not small (though not a cob) and it fits her very well. She has her back and saddle checked every 6 months and never had a problem yet

Nicnac

Visit site
Albion all the way for me. Fitted my very round (not fat; just round) Friesian very well and also great for my ample derriere. I have bought another one for my ISH who is less round!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Love my Ideal - it has a flatter seat (so more room to move around!) and square cantle, it's the Grandee. Fitted my spherical cob well, even better on the youngster. For comparison I have a very good make of WH saddle which should be fabulous for me but I cannot bear it, can't even rise to the trot - it has a more dressage shape seat and I think tried to hold me in one place too much.

Spit That Out

Visit site
If you don't mind synthetic then i can recommend the Throwgood cob. It's designed for round horses and has very wide fittings which can be changed if your horse changes shape.
The seat is deep and doesn't throw you forward and because the cantle rises up at the back I got away with an 18" seat when really my horse was 17.5 which allowed for my ample derrière!!
Get your saddle fitter to bring a selection of saddles with them for you to try.

pansymouse

Visit site
If you have the budget, you can't beat a Kay Humphries built on a wide seat tree. My friend is big and has a barrel cob who is sensitive to saddles and was badly marked by another brand of saddle bought and supposedly fitted to him. Since getting his Kay Humphries saddle his moves better and she feels secure and confident. I think the saddle cost about £1800. I have a couple of old saddles built on the same tree and they are also bliss and I'm slim and ride a TBx.