Saddles for cobs

Shavings

Visit site
what saddles do you all use on your cobs

will be getting chance a new one in time and just wanted to see what people recommend and use

his current is a field house which has been well love, but its not great for me i want one that will be good for him and me ideally

mainly hacking, showing, dressage, beach rides

Cowpony

Visit site
AH Saddles are great, and made for flat backs. I have two and love them! And everybody who gets on my mare comments on how comfortable the saddle is.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
My very wide Welsh cob was fitted for an Ideal H&C Apex and it fits him beautifully. The saddle fitter also tried us in a Kent and Masters cob saddle and although it fitted lovely up front it wasn't wide enough for his flat back and moved around a lot. It was a really nice saddle though, but the H&C is great, its like sitting in an armchair.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Welsh cob - Thorowgood cob saddle

Welsh cob X - Black Country GP

Little cob - Thorowgood Pony Club Saddle (he is still growing so will probably need something else next year).

lottiepony

Visit site
I've just acquired a project cob and had the saddler out today. Unfortunately nothing on the van fitted but have taken a template so they can hopefully have a good rummage back at the shop to see if they can find something. He's currently in a saddle made by Katie Eaton but sadly it's borrowed from a friend who doesn't want to sell :( hence the reason for the fitter! Interestingly tried him in a Wintec Cob thing and he absolutely detested it, totally refused to go forwards in it (I was slightly relieved as not a fan personally!) Looked the job on him but he was not a fan, saddler was quite amazed by his reaction as so many people have similar horses in them!

Fingers crossed we can find something that fits that won't break the bank as he will be sold next year. Wide shoulders and a very short back! Good to see lots of options on this thread though.

antigone

Visit site
I had the same experience. The panels on these things stick out at the back and can poke the horse in the back, especially if your horse is short backed and croup high (as mine is) if you look at Strada and AH cob saddles the panels are short and upswept so this doesn't happen.

lottiepony

Visit site
I had the same experience. The panels on these things stick out at the back and can poke the horse in the back, especially if your horse is short backed and croup high (as mine is) if you look at Strada and AH cob saddles the panels are short and upswept so this doesn't happen.

I've seen lots of positive things about the AH saddles, just tricky getting a second hand one as they get snapped up so quick and not that common! Will have a google on the Strada ones though. So much for straight forward cobs lol!

JulesRules

Visit site
Not cobs but both of my horses are big chested and flat backed.

They are in a Bates 17.5 inch with an xl gullet (dropping to a L in winter) for my 15.3 coloured mare and a 17" Wintec Wide in a 2xl gullet for my 14hh Highland.

The Highland was previously in an Ideal H&C but the Wintec Wide is surprisingly a much better fit to both of us and is so easily adjustable without breaking the bank.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I've seen lots of positive things about the AH saddles, just tricky getting a second hand one as they get snapped up so quick and not that common! Will have a google on the Strada ones though. So much for straight forward cobs lol!

I now have my much loved AH dressage saddle up for sale as my cob changed shape. Its only a year and a half old - really comfy and put me in a good position.

taraj

Visit site
Ideal h and c on both my cobs, one welsh D and one welsh part bred. If on a budget the thorowgood cob saddle I found more comfy then the Kent and masters.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
See if you can find a 2nd Hand Pony Cob & Horse saddle, they are like hens teeth though! I was very lucky when I got mine, saw it on FB but it had been sold to someone in Wales, these people in Wales didn't want it as it didn't fit, so managed to get it at a good price! I have a xxxw welsh cob and its perfect - its the Katie Jerram saddle btw.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Both of my cobs have Monarch GP saddles. English leather, SO comfy.. and changeable gullets. My bigger gelding is VERY wide, he outgrew his old wintec. One I paid £600 new and had over 5 years, still looks pretty good and the other is practically brand new and I got for £260 so a bargain.