Saddles for Fell ponies/natives

southerncomfort

Visit site
Long post...sorry!

I'm really struggling to find something my lad is comfortable in. None of the saddle fitters in my area carry any stock to fit natives unfortunately. They can suggest types that might fit but its then typically several weeks before they can come out and check a new saddle. So it would be helpful if any other Fell owners could let me know what works for them.

He's only just turned 6 so we've been mostly using a Thorowgood Pony Club Saddle which has the same tree as the T4 cob, while he's been changing shape. But he seems to change shape week to week! I had him in a wide gullet but it was starting to sit too high. I changed to XWide but now I'm worried it's sitting too low.

On advice from my fitter we have also tried a Jeffries Stamford WH Saddle which on paper should have worked but he wasn't happy.

He has a very forward girth groove which means his saddle slips forwards. I'm going to try a Mattes crescent girth for this. He also doesn't like anything behind his shoulders hence trying a WH Saddle.

I may be wrong but I think he has a fairly wide spine and I worry that the channel in most saddles don't give his spine enough space if that makes sense.

Pics of the pony concerned (yes I know he needs to lose weight and he is now doing more and eating less! Also sorry for x rated pics...I'd just woken him up!! ?).

Attachments

• 20220620_150422.jpg
    20220620_150422.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220620_150430.jpg
    20220620_150430.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220620_150446.jpg
    20220620_150446.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220620_150453.jpg
    20220620_150453.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 41

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
No idea about saddles but watching this thread as I'm going to need to buy my Fell his first saddle soon. Also glad mine isn't the only one that has no shame in airing his bits. ?

planete

Visit site
I have a Harry Dabbs WH on my cob with a similar conformation. It has the widest channel I have ever seen. I did have to wait a long time for it but I could have picked one up second-hand if my cob was not so short backed he cannot take anything longer than 16". No second-hand XW 16" ones ever came up.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have 3 that I use on my active Fell.
A Wintec 500 wide in mid winter if wet. Fine for steady hacking, not suitable for any decent jumping tho.
Then the whp saddle, from what was Native Pony Saddle Company (now AH Saddles) this also has been on 2 other Fell ponies and sits well.
My every day and RC activities are in my Fiona Cork GP that is not only comfortable for 20k+ rides but is secure for jumping, a fab all round saddle.

You might well find that you need a point strap and perhaps a good 4 in total girth straps.
I'm fortunate that current pony doesn't have a forwards girth groove, but previous one did and thr older whp saddle when girthed front and back was secure for xc, fun rides etc etc.

Edited to add, there are a good number of fell ponies in Black Country saddles as well as other makes, try searching in the Registered Fell pony group on Facebook, a good number of posts there.

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have a Harry Dabbs WH on my cob with a similar conformation. It has the widest channel I have ever seen. I did have to wait a long time for it but I could have picked one up second-hand if my cob was not so short backed he cannot take anything longer than 16". No second-hand XW 16" ones ever came up.

That's my issue too. He can just about take a 16 1/2 as an absolute maximum. I don't know why they come up so infrequently.

southerncomfort

Visit site
What else have you tried? The Stamford will be a custom saddle so you won't know which tree it's on if it was used, afaik.

Ah that might explain why on paper it should have suited him but didn't.

The only other saddle I've popped on him so far is a Black Country which was too long for him but didn't sit right on him anyway.

I had a list from a saddle fitter which I can't find now, but included a Black Country but I think it was a different model to the one i had, and an Ideal but I couldn't find one small enough on the second hand market.

My biggest issue really is getting the width right and I'm guessing the right width might be different for different saddles.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have 3 that I use on my active Fell.
A Wintec 500 wide in mid winter if wet. Fine for steady hacking, not suitable for any decent jumping tho.
Then the whp saddle, from what was Native Pony Saddle Company (now AH Saddles) this also has been on 2 other Fell ponies and sits well.
My every day and RC activities are in my Fiona Cork GP that is not only comfortable for 20k+ rides but is secure for jumping, a fab all round saddle.

You might well find that you need a point strap and perhaps a good 4 in total girth straps.
I'm fortunate that current pony doesn't have a forwards girth groove, but previous one did and thr older whp saddle when girthed front and back was secure for xc, fun rides etc etc.

Edited to add, there are a good number of fell ponies in Black Country saddles as well as other makes, try searching in the Registered Fell pony group on Facebook, a good number of posts there.

Thanks some good ideas there.

I don't mind my adjustable saddle and will keep it for if he changes shape but would appreciate a but more in front of my knee sometimes! ?

I'll have another look on the Fell pony page too as you suggest.

JackFrost

Visit site
When I had a similar cylindrical horse, the saddle fitter provided a Monarch GFS. I still have the saddle and actually tried it today on my rising 4 xwide native that will be needing something, but it wasn't right. I'm not sure it's the kind that will fit a variety of horses, but might be worth adding to your list.
I'm following this thread with interest because i also find that 16/16.5s for wide native ponies are scarce if you don't want to buy new, and none of my local fitters have them. A lot of people seem to end up using thorowgoods. Have a look at the John Whitaker range, they do a number of pony saddles in adjustable wide fittings.
On the saddle slipping forward, years ago someone said cross the billet straps over (so they are like an X). Oddly, it does seem to work!

tda

Visit site
Ideal WH, have had a few of those, Farrington or Derby house Samba are good for fell dales types
Black Country if you can find anything second hand
If you feel like splashing out AH look good and I've known a few people with them

southerncomfort

Visit site
Ideal WH, have had a few of those, Farrington or Derby house Samba are good for fell dales types
Black Country if you can find anything second hand
If you feel like splashing out AH look good and I've known a few people with them

Thank you!

I really like the look of the Farrington. The Samba also looks really comfortable and secure.

I might see about trialling a couple of saddles from one of the saddle banks.

Reactions: tda

southerncomfort

Visit site
Ive got a silhouette (probably spelt wrong!) WH saddle on my fell, I know a lot of fells are in the wintec wide 500 that TFF mentioned up thread

See I went for the TG because my saddle fitter said the tree shape of the Wintecs is completely wrong for a flat backed native.
Yet as you say, a lot of Fells are being ridden in them daily and seem perfectly happy.

Reactions: tda

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
See I went for the TG because my saddle fitter said the tree shape of the Wintecs is completely wrong for a flat backed native.
Yet as you say, a lot of Fells are being ridden in them daily and seem perfectly happy.

I think the 500 is a different shape to a normal wintec? But I could be wrong on that. I also used a Fylde Ray WH Saddle on mine for a short while. (It was borrowed from a friend)