Saddles for Fell ponies/natives

throwaway2022

Visit site
Ideal WH, have had a few of those, Farrington or Derby house Samba are good for fell dales types
Black Country if you can find anything second hand
If you feel like splashing out AH look good and I've known a few people with them

Yes, I've had a derby house samba on a Highland, worked well!

The Ray is incredibly comfy (I've had two on different ponies) and I felt very secure. Didn't actually sit in the Ramsay, I was too heavy for him but my friend said it was super comfy.

Hepsibah

Visit site
My Fell had an Antill MW I bought used that just clicked into place when I tried it on her. With a small adjustment to the head plate it's now being used for her daughter who is also difficult to fit.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
See I went for the TG because my saddle fitter said the tree shape of the Wintecs is completely wrong for a flat backed native.
Yet as you say, a lot of Fells are being ridden in them daily and seem perfectly happy.
Mine does have a wither and no excess (not saying yours doesn't!) the Wintec is fine for hacking but it can get a bit squirrelly if used in a jumping lesson, hence I use the others and purely keep the wintec for wet hacking x

Tried a couple of Silhouette saddles, didn't fit at all.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've struggled to find either of those in 16 or 16 1/2" unfortunately.

With the flatter seat, did you find them secure enough for hacking?

A flat seat is seldom insecure in itself, it's how it fits you and the pony. If you need a small seat/short footprint on a short back then a deep seat is going to fix you, and potentially tip your pelvis, very common. Deep seats are for high withers, and trees for high withers have the wrong rail shape. You can only build up from a flat tree so much. So often a higher cantle is compensating for the rider being behind their feet which makes them drift backwards. For many riders just being on an in-balance, stable saddle is security enough, no matter the actualy fit for the rider, as getting a rider truly over the feet on a very wide ribcage can be challenging.

See I went for the TG because my saddle fitter said the tree shape of the Wintecs is completely wrong for a flat backed native.
Yet as you say, a lot of Fells are being ridden in them daily and seem perfectly happy.

Many trees, some considered good native/cob suitable saddles, just don't have trees that fit, there is a massive proportion that don't truly fit either TG OR Wintec..

My Fell had an Antill MW I bought used that just clicked into place when I tried it on her. With a small adjustment to the head plate it's now being used for her daughter who is also difficult to fit.

Old Antills were okay, newer ones are Indian/Chinese and should be avoided at all cost. And I'll be honest, in 13 years of fitting natives and cobs as a speciality I've yet to see a Fell that's a MW, AH can come up a little narrower in terms of the tree angle but even wide fits Fells are super rare and many/most build muscle under a better fitting saddle to be XW-XXW. Just talking statistically in terms of overall guidance, I can't possibly say that your saddle doesn't fit.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've got an xxw Arab that is built like a native I've used Black country, Heritage, and Farrington although that wasn't wide enough his currently in a Lavinia Mitchell Dressage which fit him perfectly.

I've got a few saddles for saddle at the moment that were his both 17" a Heritage show saddle in xw and a Farrington Dressage xw but that is not as wide and flat at the front as the Heritage.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A flat seat is seldom insecure in itself, it's how it fits you and the pony. If you need a small seat/short footprint on a short back then a deep seat is going to fix you, and potentially tip your pelvis, very common. Deep seats are for high withers, and trees for high withers have the wrong rail shape. You can only build up from a flat tree so much. So often a higher cantle is compensating for the rider being behind their feet which makes them drift backwards. For many riders just being on an in-balance, stable saddle is security enough, no matter the actualy fit for the rider, as getting a rider truly over the feet on a very wide ribcage can be challenging.

Many trees, some considered good native/cob suitable saddles, just don't have trees that fit, there is a massive proportion that don't truly fit either TG OR Wintec..

Old Antills were okay, newer ones are Indian/Chinese and should be avoided at all cost. And I'll be honest, in 13 years of fitting natives and cobs as a speciality I've yet to see a Fell that's a MW, AH can come up a little narrower in terms of the tree angle but even wide fits Fells are super rare and many/most build muscle under a better fitting saddle to be XW-XXW. Just talking statistically in terms of overall guidance, I can't possibly say that your saddle doesn't fit.

Thats all makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

Hepsibah

Visit site

Mine is a nice English one of unknown age. I really wasn't expecting it to fit but as I said, it just clicked into place on her as though it had been made to measure. Her previous saddles tended to slip sideways and I once ended up on her neck when popping a small jump but the Antill never moved.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Mine is a nice English one of unknown age. I really wasn't expecting it to fit but as I said, it just clicked into place on her as though it had been made to measure. Her previous saddles tended to slip sideways and I once ended up on her neck when popping a small jump but the Antill never moved.

Oh forgive me...I always post to try and help everyone on these things, not just the person I'm responding to. Saddles can stay in place for the wrong reasons as much as the right, a narrow/upright rail for example can pin in either side of the wither. Something those with roly poly shapes who despair of a stable fit are especially unaware of.

countryal

Visit site
I use Native, Cob and Pony saddles (think now AH Saddles) on my highlands that are wide. A lot of people rave about Fiona Cork saddles for natives, but no personal experience.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Black Country?

the showing yard i used to school for had 2 very broad fell stallions in BC and they were stable and fitted the boys nicely.

i use BC on my B and my C, the C is very barrel like!
SproutYPMG.jpg

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I've used, with success on flat backed ponies over the past 20 years:
Black Country GPD or WH/VSD
Ideal Highland and Cob (H&C)
GFS pro event/VSD
Barrie Swain/Kay Humphries
GFS Monarch cob
Kent and Masters Cob
Wintec and Bates Wide.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I’ve got an AH saddle on my connie and am a huge advocate for them! I think they’re brilliantly priced for all the expertise you get in a fitting and the aftercare. Plus British made etc. They also really hold their resale value.

Lamehorses

Visit site
I have a stride free on a xxwide conny x arab. she goes brilliantly in it, already had to have it widened as she changed shape so much after fitting it. They are expensive new, but bargains to be found 2nd hand.
She came with an ah saddle, fitted OK to start with, but as she got fitter it needed changing. Thought an adjustable saddle might be an idea & so far I'm loving it.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I would suggest you reach out to "sbloom" who fits for Andrea Hicks saddles. I don't know what area OP is in but I have had Steph to my yard for a client in the past and would be happy for her to fit to mine.

Just a word-to-the-wise, if you feed in anything like "native pony saddles" to Google or anywhere you may come up against something called "The Saddle Exchange" who's publicity says they fit native ponies etc. Having had a hugely negative customer experience with them I would urge caution.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I would suggest you reach out to "sbloom" who fits for Andrea Hicks saddles. I don't know what area OP is in but I have had Steph to my yard for a client in the past and would be happy for her to fit to mine.

Just a word-to-the-wise, if you feed in anything like "native pony saddles" to Google or anywhere you may come up against something called "The Saddle Exchange" who's publicity says they fit native ponies etc. Having had a hugely negative customer experience with them I would urge caution.

Good to know. Will avoid, thanks!

Already in touch with sbloom. ?

tb gal

Visit site
Im commenting as interested in what the OP went for in the end. I have tried numerous different saddles on my fell, the only ones that have worked are Flyde Ray plus with rubber panel but I’d live something more comfy!

Attachments

• 761285CB-185B-4939-9733-726A897E3D58.jpeg
    761285CB-185B-4939-9733-726A897E3D58.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DAAFF4AA-1A17-4DEB-8269-79E0346FBB3C.jpeg
    DAAFF4AA-1A17-4DEB-8269-79E0346FBB3C.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 7D062D14-189F-4881-A219-B66F0BDB5BDA.jpeg
    7D062D14-189F-4881-A219-B66F0BDB5BDA.jpeg
    487.9 KB · Views: 12