Saddles for horse with flat back and no withers

Coblover63

Visit site
I have a Heather Moffett FlexEE on my table-top coblet and it fits him reallly nicely and is incredibly comfortable. Really suits him as the panels are flat so they spread my weight 100% evenly.

w1bbler

Visit site
Andrea hicks native pony & cob saddles (not to be confused with any other native pony saddle make)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Andrea hicks native pony & cob saddles (not to be confused with any other native pony saddle make)

Well I recently had the"other" native saddle company. I read through what was on this site and decided that I would have them and make up my own mind. In a nut shell I was delighted with the saddler and the product.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My grey is built like a table (bless her) and she has a Solution Freestyle Dressage saddle. I'd love to get a Solution Smart jumping saddle, but they are quite a few pennies. :(

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
I have the Native Pony Saddle Company coming out to see my (ironically) 17.2 beast today - they come highly recommended so am quite excited. I have tried pretty much all of the above with mine and never found a saddle that doesnt slip so fingers crossed!

hippocobamus

Visit site
I have the Solution SMART Native GP for my hippocob. It's the only saddle, after trying out a bum-achingly large amount of saddles, that doesn't slip or slide and that he can actually bend in. Thumbs up from Team Hippocob!

FreshandMinty

Visit site
black country d a freedom tree which fits some of these types and they are lovely saddles.

Native Pony (andrea hicks) are ok... mine has worn under the flaps, like the surface has come away and I have to say the seat is rock hard and I have to use a seat saver. Its the only thing that fits one of mine though.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Definitely recommend the Ideal saddles, Black Country, Albions.

Bates and WIntec Wides are so much better now that the trees are more flatter and the panels shorter. Avoid the older Wintec Wides if you have a short backed horse/pony as the panels are rather long.

I have had 3 saddles made to measure for XX/XXXW ponies from the 3 companies mentioned at the top of my post over the years, and have had really good customer service and after sales service from each one of them.

Capriole

Visit site
I never found a completely stable saddle on my no-withers-table-top. Eventually, after many years of struggling with him/saddles/saddlers, what I did find that kept my saddle stable was as simple as a different girth (Stubben Trevira).

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have the Native Pony Saddle Company coming out to see my (ironically) 17.2 beast today - they come highly recommended so am quite excited. I have tried pretty much all of the above with mine and never found a saddle that doesnt slip so fingers crossed!

I'm guessing you've had the other company out as I'm the fitter for Notts...

black country d a freedom tree which fits some of these types and they are lovely saddles.

Native Pony (andrea hicks) are ok... mine has worn under the flaps, like the surface has come away and I have to say the seat is rock hard and I have to use a seat saver. Its the only thing that fits one of mine though.

Please do get in touch and send us photos of the leather, there has been some that wasn't up to standard, it's tricky as if you get a duff batch of leather you can't always tell until it's used for a period of time. And everyone varies as to how firm a seat they like, it's not a common complaint, though the seats are flatter than many other brands so to some that can feel firm. We can make them with extra foam in the seat to order.

Girths definitely help - double ended strong elastic on a wide padded girth or the Trevira as mentioned above.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Another vote for Albions here. My horse was very flat backed and had no withers when I got him at 5. I got an Albion dressage saddle with an adjustable tree so he has had it made narrower (from W to MW) now that he is 7. It was one of the reasons I went for it rather than having to totally change saddle as he developed.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My traddie has a flat back, low/non-existent wither, PLUS he's very short-backed as well. So a nightmare to fit basically. Currently he's got a Wintec Wide 3XXX gullet, but the problem is that the 17" fits me OK but a saddle fitter recently pointed out that the way they've designed these saddles means that the rear panel sticks out quite a lot behind (sorry, not making that very clear!! but if you've got one you'll know what I mean) and she said that I need to watch this doesn't rub him. Basically its a cheap and cheerful solution and - for now - will have to do him until a better solution (and more £££) comes up!

He's also ridden in a treeless saddle - Barefoot size 2 was way too big for him and totally overwhelmed him, size 1 is OK. Also Exmoor tree-free. But really he's far too wide to be comfy in a treeless, its like sitting on a barrel.

I know there are some lovely saddles for "natives" & flat-backs out there; happened to meet Steph Bloom recently at someone else's fitting and saw some of Andrea Hicks' lovely saddles....... they looked very comfy and extremely well made. So when we've got some £££ that's something to aim for I think!