Saddles for horses with high Withers

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Me and the saddler have tried to get my lovely Keiffer adjustable headplate saddle to fit my boy, we adjusted the front, then added a very thick prolite, but that is moving to the left and not being very helpful. So it looks like we are going to have to have a new saddle. I love my saddler he is brilliant however he only really does new saddles, he has suggested a Thorogood high wither as I dont want to spend a complete fortune on a saddle for him to go and change shape again!

What other saddles are good for horses with High Withers?

I will get him looking amazing!

20140325_152752_zpskwtoj78p.jpg
[/URL]

TPO

Visit site
I bought a TB in very poor condition; he had massive shark fin withers and big shoulders i.e. a nightmare to fit!

I had the most success with a Saddle Company saddle. I know they are a bit marmite but they were easy to adjust as he put on condition, lightweight and he seemed to like the serge. It definitely done the job for him.

My current TB has withers but not of scary proportions. We're getting on well with the Kent & Masters High Wither GP. It's on the same tree as Thorowgood; pretty much just the leather version. I really like it.

millitiger

Visit site
Passiers fit really well for high withered horses.

Albions too but I can't stand them!

I have also just bought an Ideal Patriot which fits Vinnie (aka shark-horse) nicely.

siennamiller

Visit site
I have just bought an Albion today for my new horse, she has high withers and big shoulders, and everything I tried on her did not fit. I have had to buy a new one, but you can pick them up second hand.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Moni is going to have high withers and massive shoulders the problem is im guessing he has at least another 100kg to put on. So buying a saddle that can't be adapted and may not fit in 6 months isnt really ideal.

Firewell

Visit site
What about saddles direct?! Get them to send a few second hand saddles to try. Otherwise ebay might be your friend. I agree buying a new saddle now is pointless. I have bought good quality name brand saddles off ebay and if you get them for the right price, if they don't fit you can put them straight back on. I went through a couple saddles like this on ebay and I actually made money selling them on again! I also found the perfect saddles for my boy. Nearly new kieffers for 400 and 450 respectively. One of them is a 2,700 pound dressage saddle that was only 4years old and the other a year old 1300 pound garmish. There might be a thorowgood on there and second hand that shouldn't set you back much at all :).

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
My horse has high withers & After trying a range of saddles I bought an 'Ideal'. Not sure what model it is but after looking at the website I reckon it's the 1350 GP. I swear it's the comfiest saddle ever! It's not until I ride in other peoples saddles I notice & it's normally the first thing people comment in if they ride my horse! :)

coen

Visit site
I have a fairfax high wither dressage saddle which is adjustable so that has been fine for mine. He has seemed to grow into the wither a little more over the years and we have been able to adjust accordingly.
Have a bates jumping saddle but that is cut back a fair amount so didn't have the same issues.

smac

Visit site
My friend had similar with her high withered. Within a budget. Kent and masters.

Saddle suggested albion kieffer and black country ( but certain models) and k&m was one. Saddle fits like a glove and horse is sooooo much happier. 2nd hand for 2year old saddle she paid 400. I know someone with a late December 2013 bought k&m for ex racer used till feb. Lightly as horse just out racing but sadly horse lost in tragic accident and selling saddle at 600.