Saddles for short legs

Kafairia

Visit site
After using and loving my current JW showjumping saddle, recently I have started to get a lot of back pain (which probably shouldn't be happening to someone in their late teens!). Since starting faster work, and more jumping, I've been needing to really sit up and lean back to collect and it's ridiculously difficult because I can't sit up since it seems to be pushing me forward.

I think this is just due to this particular saddle on this particular horse, and it doesn't happen when I have ridden him in other saddles, and doesn't happen on other horses (mine and other people's ponys with a range of saddles - jump & dr).

So I've decided to take this opportunity to look for a saddle that suits me a lot better, but I've not got a huge load of options with my local saddlery (not in my price range anyway). I'm looking to swap to a monoflap, as I think it would make it a whole load easier to have less between me and this horse in particular. But my main dilemma is that I feel often quite perched in this saddle, and my knees just don't reach the knee blocks until my stirrups are up a few holes, which mean I really can't put my legs on properly.

I've tried a couple of Prestige saddles, and fell in love with the Passion D & K - the monoflap one. This wasn't on the horse saying that so could be quite different. I also liked the Exselle Integra but my saddle fitter advised this wouldn't suit my horse (TB). I would try a Prestige but new is the only stock they had and I can't afford £2k on a saddle, and secondhand Passion Ks I'm yet to see!! Only a couple of DXs and Paris Ks, and they have a different knee block configuration so I'm nervous they won't suit me in the same way.

The most secure I've ever felt in a saddle was an old old Jeffries Falcon, VSD or something like that. It was ancient, only 16" so a bit small. But I felt like I sat in that nicely, and my legs reached the bottom of the flaps easily and I didn't feel like I was balancing on a mountain top. I sold it ultimately because it was too small, however now I'm wondering if all my saddles are too big! I have 17.5" in all my jump saddles, which is the JW (saddle in question) and a Zaldi Star which I love and adore, but 17" would probably be better in that too. I'm 5"3 by the way. I would get another Zaldi but it doesn't suit my horse as its one that the panels taper closer together at the back, and would pinch his spine.

Bit long winded, but there you go. What saddles do you shorties ride in ?? And do you think I'd be better in a 17"? I have roughly 3-4fingers behind me in the JW and 4-5 fingers in my Zaldi.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
At 5'3" and in a jump saddle it's highly likely you'd be best in a 16.5. I know many continental brands don't do that size, I would try some fitters who stock a good range of used saddles and see what they can bring out. In the range I fit a 17" jump saddle would swamp most people your size. You need to be able to try the saddles, as you say, when fit for you is tricky and ultimately you could lose a lot more money trying to buy privately. In a less forward cut close contact style saddle, especially with a deep seat, a 17" might be fine, the flap cuts vary so much it totally depends on that.

As an aside, I'm 5'8 with a 32" inseam and had a 17" Prestige jump saddle many years before I became a fitter, you generally go down a seat size for a jump saddle compared to the dressage saddle you would ride in. 17.5 is indeed too big for you, unless you have a VERY large bottom :D but even then, it's probably not a good idea with the flap being so huge for you.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would have a look at the dealers for better second hand saddles. They usually have terms where they will box up a couple of saddles and you can try them for 3,5 or 10 days (depending on the firm). Most will also arrange an extension if you like the saddle and need a saddle fitter to make sure it either is right for the horse (unlikely IME) or can be made right.

A bit more expensive than ebay, but less risky.