Saddles for wide, flat backed horses

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I have a horse who has no real definition of wither, has big shoulders but is flat and wide backed. She's rising 4. Has anyone got any ideas on makes/models?

Tried Kent and masters cob, gfs xch cob, barnsby ... None fit. Don't want totally treeless as I want to be able to jump (up to 80/90cm).

Coblover63

Visit site
Wintec Wide. I have one for my lad in the last but one width setting. He is rising 6 now and I flippin' well hope he's stopped filling out as I can only go one more width!!!!

Sprig

Visit site
You may find that the Wintec Wide tree is too curved for yours, it was for my pony. She is now in a Black Country WH saddle. It is not too straight cut and has decent knee blocks so is fine as an all round saddle.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Following this as my boy is the same, his back is flat as a table (appaloosa) .. Ive tried, bates, wintec, thorowogood, including the T4, they are all to curved, the only one that did fit flat on his back was a Flexee saddle, but the bars were far to back for me..

so at the moment im saddleless...

hobo

Visit site
On my flat back, wide, no withered young horse I have an Ideal H & C it really comfortable for me and seems ok on her. The saddler also had something he had made for a Suffolk Punch that also fitted her but it was not half as comfortable.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
Following this as my boy is the same, his back is flat as a table (appaloosa) .. Ive tried, bates, wintec, thorowogood, including the T4, they are all to curved, the only one that did fit flat on his back was a Flexee saddle, but the bars were far to back for me..

so at the moment im saddleless...
Sounds like the problem I'm having. It's horrible isn't it! Wintec wide won't be flat enough, she is literally like a table from her withers back. Saddler measured her in XW gullets, but pretty much all saddles are too curved.

I haven't tried any ideals, but from what I can remember, they fit fairly similarly to a barnsby don't they?

Pen

Visit site
I have a Duett Rondo for my wide, mutton shouldered, witherless cob. They are built on a hoop tree which suits this shape of back. They come in tree widths from 32 to 42. I tried treeless and it was ok for my cob but the stretch was too painful for me.

Wheels

Visit site
I'm following this too as currently struggling for something for my horse, flat backed but also has a bit of a wither

mainpower

Visit site
I'm using a GFS jumping saddle on my flat backed horse. It's close contact, flat panel and wide gullet. Not very comfy for me though, the seat is quite flat.