Saddles - if you have more than one horse...

Scampi

Visit site
If you have more than one horse, do they have a saddle each or will you use the same saddle on the others?

Faro

Visit site
I have three horses in work (out of 5) and have 1 saddle for each of them.

Even though I use Reactorpanel saddles, which allow for the saddles to be used for more than one horse, I still prefer to have a saddle each, because each saddle is fine tuned and set for each horse (and is also adjusted to that particular horse as and when necessary).

If I used standard treed saddles, then I wouldn't be prepared for the saddle to be shared between horses, because even if by some remote chance the horses were exactly the same measurements at the time of fitting, I couldn't expect them to change identically also as the seasons changed/their workload changed.

I strongly believe that the investment in a well fitted saddle unique to each horse, far outweighs the potential costs in the future due to back and/or other injuries caused by a badly fitting saddle.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Here here. Speaking from experience
frown.gif
crazy.gif
smile.gif

connie1288

Visit site
I have 3 horses in work and 2 saddles, 1 dressage and 1 jump saddle, My saddle wasnt made to measure but was fitted and with the use of a polypad pod fits all three fine, I could not afford to have both saddles 3 times over and no saddle "fits" my horse with broken withers.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
i have 5 saddles and 3 horses, each horse has 1 saddle and then theres 2 spare, i usually use gems saddle on eddie as it fits him and i prefer it to his saddle but he likes it still.

Cluny

Visit site
I have two horses and three saddles, they are both ridden day to day in the dressage saddles and I have an Event GP for jumping in.

Have to agree with previous posters, to have more horses than saddles is a false economy.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine have seperate saddles. I have 2 horses who are ridden regularily (other one is retired but ridden very very occassionally, other is a sheltie so too small!) - one has 2 saddles (an event and dressage), the other has one GP.

I have used one saddle on "projects" who Ive had for shortish periods of time, I just pad them out if need be. But its far from ideal and I do make sure they fit ok.

rara007

Visit site
Pip has his own saddle, as does Ginga. The 5 section B's however all share one GP saddle. I have has it since I was 7, and for what we do (Riding at most 3 times a week, mainly working on things for driving, very small jumping, odd bit of dressage) it is fine. If they were to be ridden more often I would get them one each, but as they are all the same breeding, height, length and pretty much shape my little saddle serves well.

Elle1085

Visit site
I have 2 horses and 2 sadlles both jumping but mostly because the last horse i bought came with saddle and the two are very different shapes. Before the new horse my previous two shared one saddle purely because i couldn't afford £1000+ for a new one and couldn't find a second hand one. I worked on an sj yard where nearly all the horses used one saddle, it's not uncommon and i know that doesn't make it right before anyone tells me

SSM

Visit site
I have interchangable horses - all of my saddles fit both of them!

And before I get jumped on I share my yard with an equine physio who has never seen such good backs.

Enfys

Visit site
I have 2 main saddles I use, depends on the size of the horse as to which saddle I use on each.

f_s_

Visit site
I have six horses and nine saddles!

Each horse has it's own saddle, the mini has a safari. One horse has two saddles and the other two are spares.

Apart from the safari saddle which is rarely used,all the saddles were fitted individually. I feel that each horse should have their own saddle.
smile.gif

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sister and I have still got almost all the saddles we have ever had for 10 horses over the years (at least one each) and I am struggling to find one to fit my mare temporarily when her saddle goes to be reflocked soon. - I can't believe we haven't got one somewhere that will fit her.
frown.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Three neds and, at the moment, seven saddles
blush.gif

Only two saddles fit, the others are going on Ebay. We borrow Friend's saddle for LL until we've sold the other five and buy his own (again!).

As we have: one 13.2hh cob; one 13hh Welsh cross; and a 16.3hh Dutch Warmblood, we need at least one saddle each
smile.gif
. The cob and the DW will have a dressage, a jump saddle and a GP each when I'm feeling a bit richer
cool.gif

D

Donkeymad

Generally you should have a seperate saddle for each, although with the interchangeable gulllets etc, or treeless, these days, two simillar hosrses can use the same one. It should be checked for fit on every horse though.

teresagarsden

Visit site
I have 3 horses and 7 saddles and i only bought a new one last week for Denny the welsh cob as he had outgrown his old one.
i even have a albion selecta that i bought new 4 yrs ago and has only been used 6 times as horse it fit had to be pts.
But i cant bring myself to sell the saddle as its the best and comfiest saddle i have ever owned.
Teresa