Saddles - looking for a specific design

spacefaer

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a saddle manufacturer that makes a jumping saddle with a cut back head, swept back tree points and also long tree points?

Looking for a saddle that has all three features.

spacefaer

Visit site
Thanks shortstuff99 but no thanks.

Not a fan of them and they don't have tree points at all! I think the narrow twist would also be detrimental.

I'm looking for a saddle for a broad backed, narrow shouldered ID with very little wither.

He has such a big round backside, he tends to throw me onto his shoulders, landing over a jump, which he finds uncomfortable.

Llanali

Visit site
I would speak to Nikki newcombe; she used o work for black country and now owns and makes Bliss saddles, they are all bespoke and she has a more reasonable finance wide range called the loxley.
Getting quite a good name now, especially in the us and here in SJ circles.

spacefaer

Visit site
I would speak to Nikki newcombe; she used o work for black country and now owns and makes Bliss saddles, they are all bespoke and she has a more reasonable finance wide range called the loxley.
Getting quite a good name now, especially in the us and here in SJ circles.

Fancy looking saddles but neither Bliss nor Black Country have any discussion of the trees used. It's all about the finish, the leather, the swavroski crystals.......

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of saddle structure, rather than just the bling?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
You can have any twist you want on them now, I have a horse that has a wider than average spine and had a wow saddle made that cuts away in the middle of the saddle to allow for the extra width of the spine. But if they're not your cup of tea then you're still probably going to have to go a made to measure route tbh if you're wanting to be that specific.

Eta is he throwing the saddle forward or just yourself when he jumps?

Street_Skill

Visit site
Have you looked at Solution Saddles? They are treeless so eliminating the need for such a specific tree yet still very traditional looking. There are a wide range of different knee and thigh blocks available so it can be customised to ensure that you feel as secure as possible. I have a jump saddle for my youngster and feel really secure no matter what sort of jump he throws! Again it may not be what you are looking for but probably worth a look on their website-they also do fitting and trials so that you can try the saddle and make sure you are happy before you commit to buying.

spacefaer

Visit site
street skill - thanks but not my cup of tea. I would prefer something more conventional looking. I currently ride in a 30 yr old Stubben so I think treeless is a leap too far.

shortstuff99 - neither as such. It's hard to describe but essentially he's very powerful behind, and slightly croup high, with narrow shoulders. He occasionally jumps a bit green/spooky and throws his back end up like a warmblood. I'm staying in balance, but the downwards angle of the pressure means that his conventional tree points on his saddle are uncomfortable. Hard to describe - I've got a photo showing the jump but I can't put it up (HHO infringement - it's got the photographer's logo on)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fancy looking saddles but neither Bliss nor Black Country have any discussion of the trees used. It's all about the finish, the leather, the swavroski crystals.......

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of saddle structure, rather than just the bling?

Have you asked them? I have a very fussy saddler but even he quite likes the bliss ones and a friend has a loxley.

Wheels

Visit site
Saddle manufacturers use different size/shapes/types of trees for different horses and different types of saddle. Your best bet might be to contact a few manufacturers to see if what you would like is possible and have something built around your requirements.

I agree that in most cases this information is missing from websites etc when it should be more readily available.

What kinds of saddle have you ridden in and like because you've already stated that there are some you definitely don't want so it might be easier for people to suggest saddles if we have some idea of what is suitable for you.

The shape you describe is similar to my horse although he does have a bit of a wither and he's in an Andrea Hicks saddle - I have no idea though whether the points are long, short, swept backwards (didn't even know there was such a thing!)

spacefaer

Visit site
Thanks wheels. I'm generally not fussy about what saddles I ride in - I'm generally more concerned about the fit on the horse. I have ridden in loads of different brands over the years and have my dis/likes, but there's no point in getting one I like, if it's the wrong one for the horse.

I'm not looking for a new saddle, and my budget wouldn't run to most of the ones recommended. What I was wondering was whether there was a conventional, off the peg, saddle that fitted my requirements.

My OH used to work for a firm of saddlers, so he's well up in saddle design - just not modern ones!

The plan is, that the saddle can sit far enough back so as to not obstruct his shoulder, far enough away from the point of his scapula (which is quite set back), yet be forward cut enough that I can jump a hedge in it. I can pop hunt rails in a GP but would like a jumping saddle for anything bigger!

Wheels

Visit site
Ideal impala comes to mind yes as the front of the saddle flap is kind of loose/ hinged in a way to make way for the shoulder but I've no idea whether the tree would be flat enough

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Don't know if it's any help but I had a m2m saddle for my current horse. It's a working hunter saddle which sits behind his shoulder and then has a forward cut flap on top with a knee roll which doesn't interfere with his shoulder. I've got some pics but it's the same design as a Kent and masters anatomical.

http://www.kentandmasters.co.uk/s-series-range/s-series-gp/63-s-series-anatomic-gp

Is that the kind of thing?!! I have jumped hedges and all sorts in it!!

Llanali

Visit site
I agree their website is much focussed on the aesthetics!

But, when you discuss it wi them, whilst Nikki and the bliss team do love a bit of bling, function is at the absolutely heart and so is fit. And no, I'm not on commission and I don't actually own one, but I do know seven horses (different owners) with them and have been amazed at the variety of horses and riders for whom they have found solutions.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is a very tricky fit! Huge shoulders that are now uneven due to his previous saddle, XXW and table top flat, but the croup high. Hes also a midget and I sadly am not! Not easy to get right! I got a really, really good fitter who doesnt sell saddles, out. She spent nearly 2 hours assessing him, and writing me a list of the exact make and model of saddles that would fit. New they were all in the £1200++ range, but because I then knew exactly what I wanted, I trawled the internet, got serial numbers and then called manufacturers to confirm exactly what tree etc the saddle had. I managed to find exactly what I was looking for for £270. Its older, but that was reflected in the price and it fit like it was made for him! Stopped my OH divorcing me if I spent £1500 on a new saddle so i can deal with it being an older but good condition saddle :lol:

The fitter cost me £50, and I felt a little bit like I was ripping her off as she was there so long and was soo good :lol: Do you have anyone similar in your area?

amage

Visit site
Meyer Selles make a saddle with a cut back panel that doesn't impact on the shoulder at all. http://www.meyerselles.com/ms/en/design.php They are made to order so you could essentially get whatever you want.

In the interests of complete transparency I will say that I am the agent for Ireland/UK. I am a long time user on here and am in no way advertising, merely just informing you of another option.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would take a different approach and look for as short a panel design as possible (fully upswept plain panel) which means you can get the whole saddle back even on a croup high shape, when that rounded rear panel shape will stop it being flung forwards, or it sitting up and/or digging into the slope of the croup. I have yet to find a horse who truly needs swept back points (which will sometimes have stability implications in themselves), it's about the tree being in the right place and the fit being flat and stable meaning the shoulder is freed up. A cut back head is for a high wither, as are long points. For a flat back I'd be looking to the rest of the tree shape, though I know we all have different paradigms for how we fit.