Saddles/Saddle Fitting

ABC

Visit site
Possibly a really stupid question, and I have the feeling I've asked it before, but would it be possible to get a saddle fitter out to measure my horse and tell me what brand of saddles will fit, so I can buy a cheap one on ebay, and then get the saddle fitter to come out again and check the fit etc?

I love my saddle fitter, but the saddles on ebay are so cheap - I'd be able to buy a dressage and a GP for the same price.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have done this in the past when I knew I had nothing that would fit, they will still charge for their time and fitting though.
The only drawback is if you were to buy new it can affect the guarantee if another saddler/saddle fitter has fitted and flocked it, I've come up against negative responses via a few saddle manufacturers who didn't like the fact that one of their own fitters hadn't fitted and flocked the saddle, good way of making more money out of their customers I suppose and they charged a lot more than I did at the time!
Oz

Last edited:

StormyMoments

Visit site
my saddler has done this before... never did find the saddle i was looking for so ended up with something i wasnt keen on but fitted him... which not a lot of saddles do it was either that or a made to measure so that one would have to do as i didnt want to pay over £800 for a secondhand saddle :) saddlers will usually charge luckily my family are really good friends so he only charges for things like flocking and an actual saddle :)

ABC

Visit site
Ah that's good Stormy Moments - thanks :) my saddler is brill, just don't want to offend her by buying cheaper on ebay :eek: :)

moana

Visit site
Not very nice for your saddle fitter but - yes - they will usually come and advise and then fit. However, they will charge for this, if you buy a saddle this would usually be free. Also, same saddle make/model/size does not guarantee it will fit, and looking at a horse, does not mean you will get the sort that will fit.
Good Luck:)