saddles suitable for dressage and showing

janicesponies

Visit site
Please help anyone who can!! I have a 15 .2 HH TB, mare, short backed, with a high wither who is only medium width at best and would like a new saddle (or 2ndhand) to do dressage mainly and some showing up to county level. I like close contact style saddles and dislike the knee blocks as no good for showing. I currently ride in a Stuben Parzival but my trainer says it puts my leg in totally the wrong position for dressage ie my leg is too far forward. I agree and know I need something that fits better. I am 5 feet 6ins and weigh 9 1/2 stone with reasonably slimmish hips so like a small seat. I have heard about Ideal Jessica but some people say it is no good on a TB with a highish wither. Any advice on saddles please?

morgan4eva

Visit site
Can suggest a Falcon dressage - I have just changed a Falcon dressage for an Albion because the Falcon has very little knee roll - more like a show saddle but with a deeper seat. If you are interested I am about to put ours on e bay. It is 17" M. Private message me if you are interested.

rforsyth1984

Visit site
I show and dressage in a working hunter saddle - it was made by my saddler but based on the derby house samber.

Made to measure might be a good avenue with such particular requirements?

conniegirl

Visit site
I use a farringtons working hunter saddle, very comfy, brilliant in both the show ring and for dressage and as you'll have a judge ride at county level it is important that the judge can get thier bum in the saddle and are comfy

custard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I use a farringtons working hunter saddle, very comfy, brilliant in both the show ring and for dressage

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these too, Farringtons actually make the Samber for Derby House, it's the same saddle. Mine was second hand and the previous owner competed at medium level in it so it's quite possible to a point.

siennamum

Visit site
What about a VSD rather than a pure dressage saddle, really good multi purose saddle to my mind. I've got an Ideal, although it is for my hunter so not exactly high withered.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I'm looking for the same thing for my cob and have decided to go for either a working hunter saddle or a VSD rather than a saddle designed purely for showing or dressage.

Chumsmum

Visit site
I have an Albion VSD that puts me in a good position - much better than the Jeffries Stamford WH that I had before. My pony has a short back/high wither - I think the Albion would suit your horse, my saddle fitter chose Albion over Ideal to suit his shape.

conniegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use a farringtons working hunter saddle, very comfy, brilliant in both the show ring and for dressage

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these too, Farringtons actually make the Samber for Derby House, it's the same saddle. Mine was second hand and the previous owner competed at medium level in it so it's quite possible to a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was custom made for my pony as he is an odd shape. He has done up to medium level and he does very well in the show ring as well.
I find it difficult to jump in though but that may just be me as i have confidence issues jumping and pony has a filthy stop in him

janicesponies

Visit site
Thanks very much everyone for saddle feedback. Any views on Ideal saddles? I was thinking of an Ideal Jessica or Josephine or even Roella as I believe that Ideal will custom make their saddles to fit customer's individual requirements eg a dressage saddle with far less knee roll, suede knee rolls etc etc. Any views on Ideal saddles on thoroughbreds?