Saddles...which do you love?

BBP

Visit site
After a physio visit today I've come to the conclusion that it's time I bought the bonkers black pony a new saddle.

We have had a thoroughgood T6 (I think) since he was a baby, plus I have a Bates Caprilli dressage saddle but neither really fit me or help me to maintain a good position, the stirrup bars are in the wrong place and the seat is too big.

I just wondered what saddles you really love. I really like having a synthetic as I can be less precious with it but wintecs used to be squeaky and crappy not sure if they are better now. I'd be looking at a GP/VSD as we mostly hack, school at home and do trec, but if I can get him right I'd like to jump at low levels again.

Also, recommendations for saddle fitters with a good range in Cambs/beds/Herts. Thanks!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Have to say I hate synthetics, I had the Thorowgood T4 until last year and couldn't wait to get rid of it (it was the only thing we could get to fit my mare at the time). Now I'm back to my WOW and love it. It was expensive to get all the parts in the first place but now its mine forever more - I simply replace bits to fit whatever horse I have if necessary, never have to sell the main bits of it. I ended up with a WOW after I needed a 17" seat but my very short coupled horse needed 16" panels, so thats what I have. I generally tend to get short backed horses so it suits most. I just have the GP flaps and do everything in it (have BE'd to CIC* and BS 1.20m etc. as well as working hunter and Trec etc.).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I love my WOW GP and for the ponies I've had, I've like the TG endurance saddles as they seem to fit them well and they are relatively comfy-for a non-WOW :p I like flatfish seats and hate deep seated/big block type saddles.

saying that, I recently bought a Barefoot bareback pad with sheepskin seat (knee rolls and cantle) and I blinking love it :)

BBP

Visit site
I've always thought of wow saddles as being massive and ugly but they may have moved on?! He's just a diddy 14.1 and bizarrely wears a 17inch saddle which looks like a boat on him and is too big for me. I think it's jamming into and pinching his shoulders. I'm hoping for a miraculous transformation if I get the right saddle!

fankino04

Visit site
I persevered with synthetics for a while when mine was young just for financial reasons as she was going to be changing shape quite a bit and therefore would need new saddles or in the case of wintecs simply new gullets, but although every saddle fitter said they fitted neither of us were happy until we got our first ideal saddle and I love them

BSL

Visit site
My daughters wintec fits her section d a treat. Because of that i find it comfortable, does the job a treat. My boy is a bit harder to please. He has a semiflex, Barrie Swain. That also does the job. As long as the saddle fits the horse, i can adjust.

Starzaan

Visit site
Albion. Every single time.

My ex loved Prestige saddles but I hated them - felt to me like sitting on a plank and like the pommel was always trying to climb up my foof!!

Albions however are little sitting on clouds!!

LeannePip

Visit site
I love my Equipe Emporio, Its like heaven to sit in!

I don't really like anything synthetic, although my fired had a TG for a while which was 1/2 and 1/2 which was fairly nice

eggs

Visit site
I really like the Wintec Isabell Werth dressage and so do my horses. One of mine has a Barrie Swain semiflex as that is the only saddle that I have found to cope with his enormous shoulder.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'll never put a horse in a fixed tree again since finding out how most of them move in a WOW, reactorpanel or treeless.

It's WOW every time for me. I've just taken delivery of a new, third generation dressage and it's absolutely beautiful quality and more than two kilos lighter than the last version.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Love my Ideal VSD which is now nearly 20 years old and still going strong. It is one of those saddles which seems to fit a variety of horses.

Wheels

Visit site
Wow, I love them :D

Such a great concept and brilliant design features.

OP what type of horse do you have? Any pics?

be positive

Visit site
Love my Ideal VSD which is now nearly 20 years old and still going strong. It is one of those saddles which seems to fit a variety of horses.

That would be my suggestion, they are comfy, seem to fit all types, especially wider ones, are sensibly priced and you can often pick up a good secondhand one, whenever I have had a tricky to fit horse/ pony in the yard I have always ended up with an Ideal although at the moment I think there is only 1 in the tack room and that doesn't fit anything as it is only a 16in medium.

BBP

Visit site
He is a 14.1 Andalusian x Welsh. Shouldn't be hard to fit I don't think, he's not particularly odd (at least not in the saddle fitting department!).
Him in his big boat saddle looking grumpy (just prior to ulcer diagnosis)
image_zps8ljyytr1.jpg

Looks like WOW saddles are a popular choice. May be a bit out of my budget, although if I thought it would help transform him I'd see if I could manage it. Ideal might be more in my budget. I guess I'm looking for the miracle saddle!

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
For my comfort hacking then I love my Farmington VSD, but for a great position and security in saddle love my equipe synergy. Wish I could combine the two .

loz9

Visit site
Another vote for the Heather Moffett FlexEE. I love mine & the difference it has given to my super sensitive welshX is unbelievable.

It's synthetic, but you'd be hard pressed to tell! Has a leather tree, so flexes with the horse, but is structured enough to ride like a conventional saddle.

chaps89

Visit site
Symonds Saddles take my vote, made by Ray Symonds up in the midlands, beautiful quality, comfortable and with stirrup bars in the right place.

rachk89

Visit site
I do love my Kent and masters saddle. Very comfortable for my horse and for me. He didn't actually like semi flex saddles thank god look at their price tags! Actually he seems to prefer all cheap stuff including his rugs.

spacefaer

Visit site
Hate WOWs - I rode in a client's and it was dreadful - I felt so perched.
Hate Albions - every one I have ridden in wrecks my lower leg position and it swings back over a fence like I'm trying to stick my spur into my thigh

I had a Jeffries GP that fitted everything on the yard - seriously regret selling it - it was a very compact seat as well, so despite being a 17.5, it would fit a 14.2
Also love GFS - they seem to be a very neutral fit on most horses, and give lots of room for the shoulder.

I ride every day in an old Stubben Siegfried that, again, fits virtually every horse we have (mind you, they're quite similar types).

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
After a physio visit today I've come to the conclusion that it's time I bought the bonkers black pony a new saddle.

We have had a thoroughgood T6 (I think) since he was a baby, plus I have a Bates Caprilli dressage saddle but neither really fit me or help me to maintain a good position, the stirrup bars are in the wrong place and the seat is too big.

I just wondered what saddles you really love. I really like having a synthetic as I can be less precious with it but wintecs used to be squeaky and crappy not sure if they are better now. I'd be looking at a GP/VSD as we mostly hack, school at home and do trec, but if I can get him right I'd like to jump at low levels again.

Also, recommendations for saddle fitters with a good range in Cambs/beds/Herts. Thanks!

Well bit of a hoarder as I cannot get rid of my first mare's County love it
Also love my second mares GFS
Bought another GFS for my new horse

so in answer to your question I like
County x 1
GFS x2
Falcon
Ideal

I have 2 wintect too

Got rid of the Kieffer - as it hurts ones privates as it's cut back on the pommel and so damn hard

atropa

Visit site
I have 2 Ideals, a Grandee and an Event, they're very comfy especially the Grandee and fit my two mares really well

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I can't see past TG saddles :) they seem to have a style to fit any horse I've had and also they don't hurt my knackered back.

Would spend the money on a K&M if I had it but I've had my horses T6 now since they first came out with the changeable gullet and it's been a great saddle :)