saddles

lovnuggs

Visit site
friend been told because she has long thigh bones(yep how awfull ho what it is to b tall skiny etc)that her 15.2hh is to small to carry a bigger saddle its in a 17 inch ,the problem is her knees come out over knee rolls there must b event riders out there that hav v long legs what do they do any help would be good i think saddler pulling a fast one since the saddle he fitted has harmed horses back

brightmount

Visit site
The long-legged event riders are probably riding bigger horses than 15.2hh to be honest. But also, the size of saddle a horse can take will depend on the length of its back, which can vary a lot. Harsh reality is your friend may be out of proportion for that size horse. May be obvious, but are the stirrups the right length?

If you don't have much confidence in the saddle fitter and think the horse's back has been harmed, definitely get another one out for a second opinion.

Madasmaz

Visit site
I have long legs and ride a 14hh NF mare (see pic), everyone says I ride long, and of course have to point my toes out to avoid nudging her elbows, however, when I jump, I feel I'm almost in jockey position, and yes my knees do come out over the front on occasion, but so what...its a GP saddle not a purpose made jump saddle. I have never fallen off jumping because my knees are out the front, in fact the last time I fell off jumping I was 9...that's nearly 30 years ago now. If you have long legs its great cos u can use them to wrap around the horse and have more contact than stumpy pinned people. Look at Wiliam Fox-Pitt...have seen him on some horses that can only just be over 15hh, if he were to ride horses sized to the length of his leg, they'd all be 17-18hh
grin.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
It affects the balance of the rider - the same is true for a shorter person swimming about in a saddle too big.

The only solution I have ever managed is to put longer flaps on a smaller seat. You have to get the measurements right, but it can work. I have also done the opposite - shorter flaps on a longer seat so the rider could actually get her leg on.

If she were to go for something with a more forward cut flap she might find it fits her much better and keeps her weight in the seat more even.