Saddleseat?

Amphetamine

New User
Visit site
I haven't been around here in a bit.. hello again to everyone! looks like I have a fair amount of catching up to do!

Anyway, I've just recently moved to the UK from the states and I was wondering if there happened to be any saddleseat or western barns over here. I know its a bit odd, but if there are, I'd love to know where. Before I left the states I'd just started taking up saddleseat and I'd really like to continue it. I know there are a few barns in my local area for hunter/jumper but as much as I miss that, I absolutely adore riding gaited horses. So does anyone know of anywhere I could look into lessons? I'm willing to travel as neccessary, even if it means I can only afford a lesson a month or whatever. I'm currently in the Rutland/Leics. area if that makes any difference. thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Enfys

Visit site
Hi,
I can't help with your search for stables I am afraid, although you might try W.E.S for the Western part of things. I am sorry, but you'll have to explain to be what saddle seat means please?
blush.gif
It's not a term we are familiar with in general here.Do you mean English?
confused.gif
Sorry for being a bit thick.
www.wes-uk.com

Amphetamine

New User
Visit site
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

Wikipedia- Saddle Seat
this^ link might help explain it a bit better than I can... but basically it's a discipline which was created in the states for gaited plantation horses such as tennesse walkers and american saddlebreds. It's fairly flashy and doesn't have much use these days, but it's certainly fun.

Enfys

Visit site
Thankyou, very interesting.
I'd love to see the reaction an exhibition of Saddleseat would get at say HOYS, it's so very different from anything we see here.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I like watching the champane class on my Bishop Mule Days CD where they have to ride a coarse of differant gaits holding a glass full and then are judged on how much they have managed to keep in the glass.
I wonder sometimes if my mule Malaga's gaited as when he gets going he floats--can't wait to ride him.
Don't know if WES does gaits but try the Saddlebreds,or you could try tolting on an Icelandic
grin.gif