Safe and Easy to use halter for pulling horses - would you buy it?

Corvus

New User
Visit site
Hello there! I am looking for some opinions and good advice.

I study Project Design Engineering Degree in my University. It's time for me to choose my final year Major Project theme. As big horse lover myself, I chosen development of the humane and easy to use halter for horses who tend to pull in hands or even runaway from the lead.Of course, I understand that such horses require the work of a trainer and upbringing, but nevertheless, many of them tend to pull for various reasons: fright, curiosity and stress. I believe that the design that I propose is simpler and more convenient to use than the stallion chain, besides it delivers less horse discomfort.

Недоуздок макет eng.jpg

HOW TO USE.

Strict Version

In order to have better control over horse and prevent it from exessive pulling, you should fasten lead to "strict" ring 2, and fasten hook 3 to ring 4.

Soft Version

In order to tie horse or stable it safely, you fasten lead to "soft" ring 1 and unfasten safety hook 5. When the horse is not tied or left unattended, this hook must always remains open!

HOW IT WORKS.

Well, how it works? The main feature of this halter is the ability to use it not only as a "controlling" one, but also as an ordinary halter. Absolutely safe. We all know that an attached horse must be able to tear off the leash in case of emergency. This halter gives you such opportunity. You might have noticed that the chain in the case is having main controlling effect on the horse. When hook 5 is fastened, this element is unterable and, if you fastened lead to "string" ring 2 it's controling horse with moderate, well-distributed pressure on nose. Normaly it's controls horses greatly (similar pricnciple applies in soft bitless bridles and stallion chain).
However, this chain becomes an indissoluble element, therefore, the horse can not tear it and fall off the leash. In order for this to become possible, the hook 5 should be unfastened - when it is, everything that holds the chain together is an insert of an easily-tearable fabric. In order to be freed from the halter, it is enough for the horse to tear this insert and free from halter in regular way.

PROS OF THIS HALTER.

• System is easy to use - you do not need to fix any additional elements on the halter, which can be quite problematic if the horse, for example, tugs its head. Unlike stallion chain, this system can be used by less experienced riders.
  • Both "strict" and "safe". You can use this halter not only for leading horse, but, for example, for safe tying with minimalised risk it will get itself injured.
  • You will never lost or forget it, as it can happen with stallion chain. Also you can quickly change between "strict" and "soft" depending on your horse's mood.
  • Moderated and well-distributed pressure is less uncomfortable for horse than usage of average chain or stallion bit, also it provides good teaching: the signal "pulling = pressure" is much more obvious.

This is how it will look like on horse. (approximately). Noseband size regulators will be surely added to.

недоузок.jpg

Thank you very much for your attention. If you liked the idea and you would have bought something like this - please fill out this small survey. There are only four questions. Thank you very much.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3XX7K3R

catkin

Visit site
Is this not exactly the same as the monty Roberts head collar.... which I think is patented. Be careful.
There are a few designs like this about - OP, double check on them.

with regard to the design as someone who does use a stallion chain style set-up at times - the 'strict ring' needs to be secured when its not in use as you don't want a free metal ring flying around anywhere near a horses's face. For info - my stallion 'chain' ( which is actually yachting rope) is secured either by the rope clip going through both it and the 'soft ring' or tied up on the side ring of the headcollar if the rope isn't attached.

gnubee

Visit site
I have a Monty Roberts Dually. It works in a very similar way. If I was choosing between your product and a dually as a new purchaser I would pick the Dually because:
- it sounds simple. I clip to the lower rope for control or the regular head collar for regular head collar. Your system of 5 hooks and loops sounds unbearably complicated. Having looked at the diagram I actually don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the text made it sound, but I was already put off by that point. You need to make your initial instructions on this sound much more user friendly.

- the Dually has a massive marketing machine behind it - we all know Monty, and that makes his head collar seem more gentle somehow even though I know you can get loads of pressure on the nose rope if used incorrectly. I think you are marketing as an alternative to a stud chain so maybe this isn’t an issue for you, but the two products look very similar to me.

- the quality of English in your product description and instructions leaves a lot to be desired. It impacts the appearance of reputability of the product and I suspect is also contributing to your system appearing complicated and confusing. Putting some time into rewriting this with correct grammar and really trying to simplify everything would be a very easy investment of time.

Smogul

Visit site
t"he quality of English in your product description and instructions leaves a lot to be desired. It impacts the appearance of reputability of the product and I suspect is also contributing to your system appearing complicated and confusing. Putting some time into rewriting this with correct grammar and really trying to simplify everything would be a very easy investment of time "

Totally agree with this. It was really hard to follow what you had written.

Andrew657

Visit site
Although in principle I can see the need for your design. (I occasionally use a chifney to prevent issues arising).

I wouldn't use your design as if the horse is tied up and hook 5 is undone - it just seems to be inviting to get caught in a haynet etc..

Can't work out how the headcollar could be quickly released in such circumstances with a panicking horse

Corvus

New User
Visit site
Is this not exactly the same as the monty Roberts head collar.... which I think is patented. Be careful.

The main difference between the proposed product and the dual halter is that the halter from Monty Roberts is suggested to be used only for training, and possibly, horse leading. You can not tie a horse on such a halter, leave horse with it in transport or stall, because it's not safe - horse can not tear it apart and if it panics, it can be seriously traumatized.

with regard to the design as someone who does use a stallion chain style set-up at times - the 'strict ring' needs to be secured when its not in use as you don't want a free metal ring flying around anywhere near a horses's face. For info - my stallion 'chain' ( which is actually yachting rope) is secured either by the rope clip going through both it and the 'soft ring' or tied up on the side ring of the headcollar if the rope isn't attached.

Thanks for this tip, I will think about it.

I have a Monty Roberts Dually. It works in a very similar way. If I was choosing between your product and a dually as a new purchaser I would pick the Dually because:
- it sounds simple. I clip to the lower rope for control or the regular head collar for regular head collar. Your system of 5 hooks and loops sounds unbearably complicated. Having looked at the diagram I actually don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the text made it sound, but I was already put off by that point. You need to make your initial instructions on this sound much more user friendly.

- the Dually has a massive marketing machine behind it - we all know Monty, and that makes his head collar seem more gentle somehow even though I know you can get loads of pressure on the nose rope if used incorrectly. I think you are marketing as an alternative to a stud chain so maybe this isn’t an issue for you, but the two products look very similar to me.

- the quality of English in your product description and instructions leaves a lot to be desired. It impacts the appearance of reputability of the product and I suspect is also contributing to your system appearing complicated and confusing. Putting some time into rewriting this with correct grammar and really trying to simplify everything would be a very easy investment of time.

I`m terribly sorry if I confused you. I am non - native speaker and it is very early production stage, so description is not polished so far. The diagram looks complicated, but in fact all that is required from useris to usual way to attach lead rope to the ring and open (or fasten) safety hook. This is quite simple, but, unlike the dual halter, you can safely tie a horse or leave it in stall. Besides, let me argue that using the "regular" ring on dual halter is similar to using regular halter - pressure of the rope on the nose does not disappear, it just becomes more distributed. In case of force majeure it is doubtful that your horse will be able to break this halter safely.

Casey76

Visit site
The main difference between the proposed product and the dual halter is that the halter from Monty Roberts is suggested to be used only for training, and possibly, horse leading. You can not tie a horse on such a halter, leave horse with it in transport or stall, because it's not safe - horse can not tear it apart and if it panics, it can be seriously traumatized.

Actually you can use a Dually as a normal head collar, you clip the lead rope to the he central ring, and not the rope nose-rings. My friend has been using the MR head collar for years for all general horse activities.

Corvus

New User
Visit site
Actually you can use a Dually as a normal head collar, you clip the lead rope to the he central ring, and not the rope nose-rings. My friend has been using the MR head collar for years for all general horse activities.
As I said earlier, I don't think that clipping rope to central ring is significantly reduces the level of pressure on the nasal bone. In addition, the horse still can not break the halter.

Casey76

Visit site
As I said earlier, I don't think that clipping rope to central ring is significantly reduces the level of pressure on the nasal bone. In addition, the horse still can not break the halter.

On the central ring, the Dually acts as a normal hc, there isn’t any more pressure on the nasal bone than any other flat nylon hc, and the rope bit just sits there, inert.

Who wants a horse to break their halter? If you are tying up, then that is what baling twine is for.

Personally, if I ever feel I need the extra control (with a sometimes prattish 16hh oaf), I just pass the lead rope through the already provided holes in a normal hc and over the nose that way. I would never use a rope nose hc as a training “aid”.

blitznbobs

Visit site

It is just a normal head collar when attached to the central ring. I've travelled a horse in it and the rope has no action whatsoever in such a situation... TBH I think this market is already flooded with a dually, be nice, and various other takes on rope headcollars. It feels like you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
to answer your OP, no I wouldn't buy it.
I have a dually but I don't use it, I find it too fiddly to put on (he's a big horse) so can't use it for catching him in the field (well, actually I can because he's an absolute angel who stands there very patiently while I keep trying, taking it off and trying again). I did use it for early training and it helped. Now I've had more lessons in ground work I understand I can get the same effect from a regular headcoller and by establishing the basics.

The staff use the dually everyday and they prefer it. For days when he's very strong or keen they use the stallion chain across his tongue like a bit. I'm not even going to consider doing that myself but he doesn't show any sign of discomfort when they do and quite happily will take the chain

Experience staff with a horse without a dually will simply wrap the lead rope around the nose

ETA: to help with the language on your description, try describing it out loud to someone who has no idea which end of the horse it fits...then write that down.

SpringArising

Visit site
I think the idea is good, but I wouldn't buy it. If I'm leading something strong enough that requires more than a head-collar, then it deserves a Chifney.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't totally understand why they advise not to use a dually for tying up unless it is because of risk of the moving rope getting caught, in which case the same would apply to yours.

I also don't see the advantage of having the control rope so much lower than the noseband of the head collar, that just increases the risk of affecting sensitive tissue surely?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The easiest rope halter to use is just that, a genuine rope halter, like a cow halter. I would be very reluctant to use anything else, I have trained several 'difficult to lead' horses in one of those and find them very effective. The 'secret' is in the hands of the handler.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
it is virtually the same as the kemp controller and that has the advantage that it can used on a normal headcollar and can be unclipped to use on a different headcollar, so sorry dont think your design will be popular