Safe cob or flashy purebred?!

pistolpete

Visit site
I’d like another horse. I’m 57 ridden for years but have lost a lot of confidence in the last few years. Multiple reasons but I am working on it. I’m 12 st so can’t be anything dainty but I’d like something safe but pretty! Horse shoppers help please? Reasonable budget and I can travel although based in the south. I’m 5’6’’ so nothing too dinky either. Mainly want to hack but pleasure rides beach rides and general horsey fun is my dream. My old warmblood fit the bill perfectly. He’s gone now and the Highland I bought to replace him is retired lame sadly. He was tricky and sapped my confidence. What would you go for breed wise? I want to feel safe but hate all that coarse hair on cobs. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

[153312]

Visit site
A Native cross already under saddle for a few years would be perfect - nf , Highland, welsh d, cob etc crossed with TB, wb, ish/Id or other sporthorse sort. Native strength and brains crossed with sporthorse size and ability, especially if it's been working for a while and you can get references to vouch for its temperament along with a five stage vetting obviously.
Although of course when horse shopping it pays to have an open mind, many untraditional breeds can be brilliant: I have an Appaloosa X native mare and she is incredible, but the complete opposite of what I was looking for: I was searching for a cob colt! And a good size cob certainly isn't something to rule out.

Some untraditional crosses can be very good, and temperament and compatibility is the most important thing to consider if you're low on confidence rather than a specific breed. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:

saddlesore

Visit site
I’ve had a variety of horses over the past 30yrs, 2 of which have been cobs. I find them great fun and a real ‘partner in crime’. Up for most things with a great nature. That said both of mine have been forward thinking (especially the current boy) and take confidence from their rider. Imo a 15hh h/w cob would do your job and more ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am looking for the same thing. I found a few to look at a few months back, but only looked at one in ages. Not found one that clicks yet. I am prepared to throw money at it too, but tat seems to bring better competition ability into the mix, not so much sensible type.

There seems to be a real shortage of the riding club type. More TBs, cobs, and competition types. When I was younger, there were loads of half breds. Wish I could locate one now! Half Clydie, shire, ID...

PSD

Visit site
Cobs are fab, but they aren’t my “thing” if I was to be buying (I’ve just recently bought). I absolutely love them and they are not all by any means safe, one on my yard has a hunting cob and he’s an absolute balloon ?

I’d go for a native type - like I did! I’m a bit smaller than you but weight wise I’m similar. I’ve just bought a section c, granted he’s a stocky version of the breed and very deep bodied so I don’t look out of place on him.

I don’t envy you trying to find one at the moment though

PSD

Visit site
Id recommend buying for temperament if you want an easy, stress free horse life first & foremost.

What you say you want temperament wise in your first post, could be any number of breeds, part breeds or Heinz 57 IMHO.

I agree with this. This was my main factor when searching, breed was irrelevant really

Griffin

Visit site
I love a cob and they don't have to have course hair, just feed them a good diet and clip off their feathers and they can look very smart with soft shiny coats.

However, it's a common misconception that cobs are safe, like any horse they have their individual personalities and speed settings. Some of the sharpest and quickest horses I have ridden are cobs, I have also ridden some incredibly calm TBs.

As other posters have said, look at temperament first and then everything else.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There seems to be a real shortage of the riding club type. More TBs, cobs, and competition types. When I was younger, there were loads of half breds. Wish I could locate one now! Half Clydie, shire, ID...

I found my last one on Dragon Driving pulling a trap! He is only 3 though.

That type of breeding seemed to die when the prejudice against coloured horses and gypsy cobs stopped and people started buying them in big quantities. They were originally bred and sold very cheaply and they took the market out from under the people breeding for the average riding club member.

I know two people breeding them but they are all sold as foals.

I think Joe might be worth a lot of money next year if he goes on like he is now. Heaven knows what his breeding is but he's a right old fashioned all rounder sort. No plans to sell though, he looks like he'll be too much fun to train up.

PP these days I think you'll need to forget about breeding and buy on current temperament and performance. It will be difficult enough to find that, without limiting your search by breed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't pay £6k for a gelding with sarcoids between his back legs! However temperament wise, he sounds fine. OP, I would look for temperament rather than breeding.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't pay £6k for a gelding with sarcoids between his back legs! However temperament wise, he sounds fine. OP, I would look for temperament rather than breeding.

I might if I needed a12k horse, couldn't afford one, and it was one without them. Not sure that horse is one.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I can’t vouch for them but there are some nice if green types on NB Equine on Facebook. Another is Kilnhanger and I know a few people really pleased with the horses they’ve had from there.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I might if I needed a12k horse, couldn't afford one, and it was one without them. Not sure that horse is one.

I cannot imagine ever being in the position of needing a £12k horse as an all rounder for hacking, beach rides and general horsey fun which is what OP told us that she wants her next horse for. I would be reluctant to buy a gelding with sarcoids between the back legs for any purpose tbh.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I've also often found cobs to be powerful, strong and not at all ploddy!

I'm a big fan of bigger natives: Highlands, dales, and oversized new forest, but like you've said, they can all also be sharp/tricky. Same for ID and connemaras.

But I'm also very wary of "over horsing" myself with anything else, because it's far outside my comfort zone and frame of reference. So basically, I have no answers I just understand your problem ??