Safe horse toys for a bored pony.....

Beatrice5

Visit site
So after watching the New Forrest dissapear into a hedge then pop down a sheer 7 or 8 ft bank we have decided he is bored.

He is in a field full of grass so gained nothing other than entertainment in the form of me rushing out the house half in my pj's shouting " you little sod " he was caught happily and jogged home via the road looking very pleased with himself!!

He is led out in hand ( too small for me and too slow to lead off my mare) 3 or 4 times a week and has a small child ride him at weekends. But we dont have a school just a mushy clay field so schooling at home not an option at the moment - juggling ideas on woodchip and making a makeshift school currently.

So what "toys" can I give him in the field for his amusement that don't require constant supervision? How do other people entertain their clever ponies ? My two mares are horses and don't see further than the blade of grass in front of their noses!!

Thank you :)

Shavings

Visit site
Levi has a stable ball, the rubber type with a handle on, we have a peppermint scented one and he loves it, however as i have mentioned before on other threads he has had it taken of him for bouncing it off the walls in the stable before!!

but i see know reason why you little new forest couldn't have one in the field as long as you keep an eye on him throwing it over the fence, they are very strong and great fun, there is a yearling at are yard who has a none scented one in his "pen" (currently recovering from injury so not aloud proper turn out yet) and he chases it about, throw it in the air and all sorts so well worth a go!

Nicnac

Visit site
A spacehopper. Wouldn't put a snack ball in a field - it would just get gunged up.

Can't you lead him out just once a week from your mare. If he has to trot along whilst she walks out it'll tire him out and also get him out and about so less bored.