Safety Stirrups and Hats

pink_princess

Visit site
Looking for some advise on best safety stirrups and skull caps. After having a little accident last weekend and getting dragged through the woods, made me think a little. So I need a new hat now anyway, so looking for the best ventilated skull cap also think I need to invest in safety stirrups. Can anyone recommend?

Wiz201

Visit site
I have a Harry Hall legend skull cap, but no brand is going to be safer than the other really. I went for fit and comfort. with safety stirrups, I think the bent irons are best for adults.

starry23

Visit site
Two hats I like are the Champion Ventair skull and the Gatehouse RXC1 (which I bought as a replacement to my old champion). RXC1 has the added bonus of a removable liner which can be easily washed to keep it fresh and clean :D

As for the stirrups I have never found any that I particularly like more than the other - I wouldn't go for peacocks though (and I'm a small adult so weight-wise could probably get away with them).

Nosey

Visit site
Having experienced the horrific sight of my daughter getting hooked up & partially dragged with bent leg irons I wouldn't recommend them. Both times she was thrown over the shoulder so the open part of the stirrup was against the horses side & her foot was wedged. She then went to peacocks & now has nicked my sprengers!!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
rather than actual safety stirrups I would go for barnes buckles if you can find a set on ebay (they aren’t made now) or swiss clips.

Shay

Visit site
Sprengers for safety stirrups - definitely. The flexibility means that it will release the foot pretty much regardless. Never say never - but I haven't seen any scenario where the foot has not come free - and I've seen a few trapped by peacocks and by bent irons, neither of which are now allowed at BE.
Hats with Snell E2001 are thought by BHS and Beta to be the most protective currently available (I think Gatehouse complies?)

pink_princess

Visit site
Many Thanks I cant decide between mountain horse and sprengers? Would toe stoppers be the safest answer when hacking? Thanks was looking at the gatehouse ones, but will look at the champion ventair to.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Having experienced the horrific sight of my daughter getting hooked up & partially dragged with bent leg irons I wouldn't recommend them. Both times she was thrown over the shoulder so the open part of the stirrup was against the horses side & her foot was wedged. She then went to peacocks & now has nicked my sprengers!!

I was sure I read somewhere that peacock stirrups were only suitable if you are under a certain weight? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Magister

Visit site
Ive been teaching for a long time now and the 4 times I have seen people's feet stuck in stirrups after falling off are with bent irons. Personally I wouldn't recommend them and would never let my kids use them. I googled it and there does seem to be a link.

Wiz201

Visit site
I was sure I read somewhere that peacock stirrups were only suitable if you are under a certain weight? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

they do say they're only designed for children, is it something to do with the fact that the elastic might come off too easily if an adult used them?

Nosey

Visit site
I was sure I read somewhere that peacock stirrups were only suitable if you are under a certain weight? Correct me if I'm wrong
Yes daughter was little at time-graduated from peacocks to my sprengers ages 12/13!!

teapot

Visit site
Peacocks have a weight limit of around 8 stone! Also make sure you get stirrups that actually fit your feet properly.

hcm88

Visit site
Sprengers for safety stirrups - definitely. The flexibility means that it will release the foot pretty much regardless. Never say never - but I haven't seen any scenario where the foot has not come free - and I've seen a few trapped by peacocks and by bent irons, neither of which are now allowed at BE.
Hats with Snell E2001 are thought by BHS and Beta to be the most protective currently available (I think Gatehouse complies?)

Tina Cook pretty much only uses bent legs.... they are definitely BE legal!

I'd go for Sprenger stirrups, and hat-wise go to a shop and try them all on and see which fits you best. Each hat is different!

rossiroo

Visit site
Personally I don't like bent irons, I've just got some 'free jump soft up pro' and think that they are brilliant, once you put your feet in they don't move, yet will easily allow the foot to realise in case of a fall. Very pricey tho !