safety stirrups

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I think traditional peacock ones are fab. I always use them now, you can replace the bands cheapely and they're only 20 quid a set anyway.

Patricksmum

Visit site
Would not use peacock irons for anything other than little ones as have seen them bend/break in competion!!!
I dont think you can beat the Simplex irons - only £17.99

http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/addto...&itemid=204

[image]http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/largeimage.asp?itemid=204&itemname=Bent+Leg/Australian+Simplex+iron&image=bent_lge.jpg[/image]
cool.gif

josie_s

Visit site
I agree with Patriksmum on the Peacock Iron front and dont think they are suitable for adults at all. I'm afraid to say that I've heard bad reports on the Bent Leg Irons too. Some one I know who show jumps has seen a couple of bad accidents with them. Like the riders foot going through the iron and then being dragged, Ouch.
I dont personally use Safety Irons but if I did I would use the Mountain Horse SCS3 one's. Got a peice of rubber that will pop out (and is replaceable) if your foot were to go through and they are tested to the extremes for weight so there is no risk of them breaking with an adult. They cost around £57 and dont have to be used with the SCS3 boots.

Wooleysmum

Visit site
I always use bent leg ones, and used to use peacock ones. I have a fear of getting my foot trapped and dragged along the ground so would never use ordinary ones.

horsecute.jpg

Chex

Visit site
I used bent leg ones for years, never had a problem. Now have the sprenger ones, which are supposed to be safetyish (don't see how though). I was using normal stirrups when I fell off, rather narrow ones at that, my feet still came out (albeit one a bit slow hence landing on one leg and snapping it rather than landing on too and being fine!). I keep reading that the peacock ones are for kids, know plenty of adult that use them and none of them are bent at all.