Said goodbye to my boxer today.

Thistle

Visit site
A fast growing brain tumour meant that we had to say goodbye to Rocky today. I feel peaceful now, he was PTS quietly before he deteriorated to the point of unmanageable pain and fits. Over the years he has made me cross, angry and frustrated but most of all he made me smile.

He had a pizza party last night, his favourite food that he wasn't allowed to eat because of his wheat allergy.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Run free Rocky, happy chasing of random airborn objects (birds, butterflies), and munching of inappropriate foodstuffs, there's no wrong thing for him to chew where he is now xx

Bellasophia

Visit site
Rocky..a big name for big characters and he sounds like he lived up to it. run free big boy....I hope you are ok Thistle.

Thistle

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.

I lost my Boxer, Billy, to the same thing in 2006. Still thin of him and miss him every day.

Boxers are such 'special' dogs.

I have vowed not to have another (he was our second and my husbands 3rd) as they have some any genetic problems. They are huge characters, he leaves a big hole in my life.

Boxers

Visit site
Boxers are such 'special' dogs.

I have vowed not to have another (he was our second and my husbands 3rd) as they have some any genetic problems. They are huge characters, he leaves a big hole in my life.

Echo you on this. He was my first, but my husband's third Boxer. Far too many problems, but hugely entertaining and fab with children.

Alongside our Boxer we had a Rottweiler and then a GSD. After losing our Rottie and leaving the GSD on his own we got a working cocker who my husband takes out beating on our local shoot. Really enjoying training and working him, and also enjoying having a smaller size dog. And he gets on really well with our GSD.

It will take a while to get over him, but perhaps another dog will help ease the pain.

Thistle

Visit site
We have other dogs, Lab, 10, Staffy, 7 and Springer, 4 months. We got the springer before we knew the boxer was ill. Good timing! He will be a working gun dog, such fun to train, very quick brain!

Chiffy

Visit site
Hi Thistle, so sorry to read about your boxer. You sound so sensible with your dogs and did your best by him. I have four dogs and one is 15 so I have sadness to cope with in the not too distant future.
I am glad you are enjoying your springer, I think they are a bit too busy for me. I have flatcoats which are probably more high energy than labs but less than spaniels.
By the way I am Joss' mum,who I believe you know, she has joined a family who have always had and bred boxers. We quite like the present one, a very kind temperament with the children but a bit of a 'bull in a china shop!! J has my lurcher living with her most of the time and her OH is getting quite fond of a different breed!

Thistle

Visit site
Hi Thistle, so sorry to read about your boxer. You sound so sensible with your dogs and did your best by him. I have four dogs and one is 15 so I have sadness to cope with in the not too distant future.
I am glad you are enjoying your springer, I think they are a bit too busy for me. I have flatcoats which are probably more high energy than labs but less than spaniels.
By the way I am Joss' mum,who I believe you know, she has joined a family who have always had and bred boxers. We quite like the present one, a very kind temperament with the children but a bit of a 'bull in a china shop!! J has my lurcher living with her most of the time and her OH is getting quite fond of a different breed!

Hi Chiffy (waves) didn't realise Joss has converted to boxers, thought she was a Lab girl! A bull in a chine shop is a good description!

Chiffy

Visit site
Haha! She hasn't really, its Mother in law that breeds them and she is trying to take her OH in a different direction. She was brought up with whippets, lurchers and flatcoats. The dog you probably remember her with was a rescue x-bred not unlike a lab. Tally was her first dog after she left home.

Thistle

Visit site
Yes it was Tally!

y farrier, who I think you may know (Ross) was responsible for us acquiring Rocky. Our old boxer had just died of a heart attack, Rocky had been dumped and a girl Ross knew fostered him. Ross said I had lost boxer and was a great home. Left us with little choice but to say yes.

Last edited:

dornrose

Visit site
So sorry, we lost a boxer to a brain tumour he left such a big hole in our hearts we adopted a rescue boxer. They are such a lovely breed.

RIP Rocky.