Said my goodbyes yesterday

VioletStripe

Visit site
As some of you know, my beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback, Titan had been rather unwell for a while, having had a pericardiectomy last summer, and seeming to be fine up until a few weeks ago, when he went off his food. After a bit he started eating again, but just a couple of days ago began to start panting and becoming very worried at night time, before not being able to lie down properly.
After speaking with our amazing cardiologist, we came to the difficult decision that being 9 years old, and already been through a lot, it simply wasn't fair to put him through any more to try and find out the issue that made it hard for him to breathe lying down. After a beautiful sunny day, we took him down to the vet and Titan finally went to sleep for the last time yesterday evening surrounded by me my brother, my dad and the vet. We came to the conclusion that what was causing the excess fluid surrounding the heart was also secreting a fluid into his lungs, and the most likely cause of this was a tumour, although we have chosen not to have a post mortem. He almost looked better once he was asleep. Last night seemed near impossible, and I swear that as I was going to sleep, I could almost feel him come and lie down on my bed as he often did. Just felt nice to have that little comfort. I don't expect anyone to read this, I just simply wanted to write this in some form. Thank you for anyone who has read this, just typing it all out has felt like some form of help to me. I will always remember him as my rock through everything. To absent friends, RIP.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

titan.jpg

TitanDances_32_0122_2.jpg

Last edited:

mattilda

Visit site
Ridgeys will always hold a special place in my heart. I lost my girl just over 2 years ago and still miss her every day.
Your boy was a stunner and he will thank you for doing your very best for him even when it is the hardest thing to do.
That last picture is just beautiful.
Hugs J x

VioletStripe

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone, it was a very difficult decision brought at possibly the worst time. Still keep expecting to see him when I walk down the stairs. Thank you so much for your kind words, been feeling very fragile since yesterday.
Funny story about that last picture - was taken up in Scotland, pretty much our second home, which we always used to take him to in the summer. When that picture was taken he was actually trying to catch the midges that were flying around everywhere, he was far too stubborn to be trained to do any cool tricks, but it's always fondly known as Titan Dances

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I am so very sorry for your loss what a beautiful boy he was. Just remember you did the kindest thing an owner can and took away his pain.
My bernese suffered the same problem as your boy although didn't have the pericardectomy but we were lucky he just went to sleep one night and was gone by morning.
To absent friends - play nice together! Rip

MurphysMinder

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss, what a beautiful lad he was. It takes time but it will get easier and you will be able to enjoy the lovely memories you have of him. RIP Titan.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I am so very sorry for your loss what a beautiful boy he was. Just remember you did the kindest thing an owner can and took away his pain.
My bernese suffered the same problem as your boy although didn't have the pericardectomy but we were lucky he just went to sleep one night and was gone by morning.
To absent friends - play nice together! Rip

Thank you very much. We kept hoping he'd drift off to sleep by himself but the poor thing couldn't lie down comfortably. This happened twice and we realised it just couldn't carry on for any longer, despite his chirpiness.

Bearsmum

Visit site
What a beautiful looking dog he is, you should be very proud he obviously had a wonderful life with you and when he could no longer enjoy that life you did what was needed.

Huge hugs.

RIP fella

JDx

CAYLA

Visit site
My heart goes out to you, only time with ease the pain and loss although at first it seems like it passes incredibly slow and tortures somewhat consuming your every thought.:(
He looks like a beautiful strapping lad and was obs well loved.
The last picture is beautiful. Sleep tight big fella xxx

shadowboy

Visit site
I'm so sorry about the loss if your beautiful boy. Having fine through the same recently I know the pain and sorrow. You boy looks happy and loved and those I'm sure you will have many happy memories to cherish.

BID

Visit site
What a gorgeous boy, I lost my boy on Monday so I know how you feel, I keep getting home and expect to see him waiting for me, it just hasn't sunk in yet. Big hugs for you xx