Sales livery? Pros and cons?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I've never used it personally, but worked at a yard where it was offered.

Pros:
- More experienced riders can show your horse in a better light
- Usually better facilities to show horse to prospective buyer
- Owner doesn't need to deal with prospective buyers (from a time OR emotional standpoint)

Cons:
- Pricey if you can show horse in best light yourself already (where I was, there was a weekly rate and they took a % of the horse price as commission)
- Lose element of control in terms of who your horse is sold to, in some cases

be positive

Visit site
I take a few sales liveries, the pros for the owner, they should be able to hand over the whole process to the yard to deal with, so no hassle from day dreamers, I keep the horse or pony in full work and usually improve it while it is here, I do the ads, take phone calls, arrange viewings and often the negotiating as well, then deal with vetting and collection, if it all goes to plan the owner can literally do nothing apart from pay the livery and collect the cash.

Cons, if the pony does not sell in the time frame decided, then the livery costs can get out of hand, I usually have a one week assessment if the horse is not known to me before it comes, after that I discuss a timescale and we set a price, although I usually know what the owner is looking for before I agree to take it on sometimes after the first week I do feel the price needs tweaking in order to sell and the owner needs to be realistic.

If you find a good yard that works with your expectations then it can be beneficial, but you do need to be realistic in order to not run up livery costs that mean you are losing, the yard will not lose whatever happens unless they sell on a commission only basis but not many will be prepared to do that, I charge a set livery plus 10% but this is flexible depending on the horse/ owner/ price , I am not in your area so definitely not trying to drum up business.

Just to add, I have frequently sold for more than the owners were asking, I find being less involved often means I find a better target market than the owner, from the purchasers point of view they can often ask things they may feel uncertain about asking of a long term owner.

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
I have used sales livery and spent a fortune before getting my horse back in poor condition, unsold. Heigh ho. I think in principle it is a good option but you have to be so very careful to find a really good place. I do agree with Be Positive about the owner being less involved probably making the whole process smoother and potentially getting a good price. But IME sales livery is as much of a trap for the unwary as horse buying in the first place.

be positive

Visit site
I have used sales livery and spent a fortune before getting my horse back in poor condition, unsold. Heigh ho. I think in principle it is a good option but you have to be so very careful to find a really good place. I do agree with Be Positive about the owner being less involved probably making the whole process smoother and potentially getting a good price. But IME sales livery is as much of a trap for the unwary as horse buying in the first place.

You were unlucky, they normally leave here in better condition than they arrive but there is no guarantee they will sell, certainly if they look rough it wont help, I would recommend weekly checks to ensure the horse is being cared for, possibly even a clause put in that if they are not kept in good condition some payment is withheld or the horse is removed immediately without penalty.

I heard of a recent case where the horse went to a sales livery, was not sold in 6 months, the owner agreed to sell to the YO at a reduced price, the YO only paid part and it ended up in court with the YO trying to counter claim for more livery money, the owner won but whether she will get any of her money paid is another matter, I try and do a review each month if a sale is dragging on, if something has not sold after a couple of months there will be a reason and it needs addressing.

alainax

Visit site
I've never used it personally, but worked at a yard where it was offered.

Pros:
- More experienced riders can show your horse in a better light
- Usually better facilities to show horse to prospective buyer
- Owner doesn't need to deal with prospective buyers (from a time OR emotional standpoint)

Cons:
- Pricey if you can show horse in best light yourself already (where I was, there was a weekly rate and they took a % of the horse price as commission)
- Lose element of control in terms of who your horse is sold to, in some cases

This exactly, I sold my last horse on sales livery as I couldn't ride him. I weighed up the priced I was currently paying for livery, and the chances of me being able to sell him alone. Was a no brainer.