Saluki cross moulting!

LMR

Visit site
Just wandered if anyone had any tips for me. I rescued a saluki cross about 2 3 months ago. Recently he has been moilting like crazy I brush him most days with a soft brush but would it be better to get a rake? He is short haired and still quite skinny (any weight gain tips greatly received also) clumps of hair are literally falling out everywhere

p87

Visit site
My collie is moulting too. The only thing I find that works is a furminator de-shedding brush, it gets right down and pulls all the loose hair out and she seems so much happier after it. The other week I gave her a good going over with the bush then bathed her, the water gets a lot of hair out too. I 'furminate' her once a day until it stops coming out so much, then every other day until I'm only doing it once a week or so.

She is a long haired dog so I can NEVER avoid brushing her :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_oaa46j74q_b

Clodagh

Visit site
My saluki cross can only be done with a soft brush. With the more bristly one I use on the lab she swings round and snaps, so I assume it hurts.
Just get used to fine golden hair taking over the whole house!

satinbaze

Visit site
Lily has had a serious moult. I find he best way to get rid of all the dead hair is to give her a bath. The shower seams to get all the dead out. A zoom groom rubber brush is good for short coated dogs to gently get the loose hair out. I give yumega oil as a supplement to encourage the new coat.

p87

Visit site
Il be shot down for this, but my long haired GSD, I clipped/shaved her :p

I done this last year, but my clippers packed in halfway through... she was clipped from the back end to her middle and long haired from her middle to front, she looked like a black and white lion, was hilarious!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Look at diet and how often your central heating is on and off, unexpected hot and cold spells can throw them too.

A Furminator is just a clipper blade on a handle and can tear the undercoat out, not a big fan, dunno about clipping or using a Furminator on a thin coated/thin skinned breed/type.
Agree just bath and elbow grease/lots of brushing. I brush my longcoat GSD for five-ten minutes a day or every other day, helps increase your bond and check for foreign bodies and improves condition, etc etc etc. Five minutes out of your life a day, longterm, is much more beneficial than clipping or ripping mats out.

Cluny

Visit site
Was your saluki cross living outside? I've had a few saluki cross lurchers, who were rescues and used to live outside, it took a while for their coats to adjust to living indoors with central heating and the moulting was rather copious!

My short haired was the worst so I used to put the brush attachment on my Dyson and hoover him. He was happy with it and it did the trick!

zigzag

Visit site
Look at diet and how often your central heating is on and off, unexpected hot and cold spells can throw them too.

A Furminator is just a clipper blade on a handle and can tear the undercoat out, not a big fan, dunno about clipping or using a Furminator on a thin coated/thin skinned breed/type.
Agree just bath and elbow grease/lots of brushing. I brush my longcoat GSD for five-ten minutes a day or every other day, helps increase your bond and check for foreign bodies and improves condition, etc etc etc. Five minutes out of your life a day, longterm, is much more beneficial than clipping or ripping mats out.

As said dog use to go through the liquid mud in gateways and climb up and down muck heap, had to clip her as couldn't wash her every day in winter, as took ages to dry, clipping was better for her, could just spray her off and dry quickly, long haired GSD, covered in liquid mud and horse poo wasn't pleasant in middle of winter lol

LMR

Visit site

Will do this, was just wandering if I was missing something.