Same Sex aggression?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Is it a breed thing? I’ve never really known any terriers bar the yo”s mini jrt who was raised amongst various dogs at the yard and loved everyone/every dog.

I have 2 entire ess who have never had a cross word. My first 2, also entire, never had a cross word. All 4 had frankly beautiful temperaments. Obviously Zak disliked other dogs to an extreme degree, but his brother was fine with him and mostly with other dogs unless defending his brother. I know having 2 from the same litter is often frowned upon, littermate syndrome etc and they definitely encourage each other if out, but I think any 2 dogs together might do that.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Was it a lab that attacked your whippet? Not a terrier or a staffy?

Yup enormous block headed thing off the lead. Apparently, there's a line bred locally known for it. But I've met thousands of other labs and never had an issue. I've met thousands of terriers and staffies and lots don't like other dogs, just their owners are more responsible and have them on a lead, or have so far at least!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yup enormous block headed thing off the lead. Apparently, there's a line bred locally known for it. But I've met thousands of other labs and never had an issue. I've met thousands of terriers and staffies and lots don't like other dogs, just their owners are more responsible and have them on a lead, or have so far at least!
Worst dog I ever knew was a massive block headed lab! It went for Jake, an extremely submissive dog, every time. I went ballistic at the owner once, who told me to walk elsewhere (hundreds of acres for her to b¥gger off to), told her I’d call the dog warden on her if her dog ever went near mine again, it wasn’t my dog that was the problem! Next time I saw her, she told me her vet told her to treat him as a distraction! He was, inevitably, bloody massive.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
My young lurcher was attacked by a large, fat lab. Flattened him and did permanent damage to his left hip and his confidence. Some years ago there was a person in the village with two black labs, nice looking dogs, but they attacked/chased pretty much anything in their firing line. Labs have been so overbred for £££ not temperament. I also have two friends each with a working bred lab, both are totally neurotic and don't like interacting with other dogs.

Clodagh

Visit site
My young lurcher was attacked by a large, fat lab. Flattened him and did permanent damage to his left hip and his confidence. Some years ago there was a person in the village with two black labs, nice looking dogs, but they attacked/chased pretty much anything in their firing line. Labs have been so overbred for £££ not temperament. I also have two friends each with a working bred lab, both are totally neurotic and don't like interacting with other dogs.
Which proves you can ruin any breed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is a brown Lab local to us that is one of the nastiest, most troublesome dogs, I have ever met. The owner is a good part of the problem, because the dog has no boundaries. I've watched it grow up since it was old enough to start going out and she has always allowed it to do exactly what it wants. But I'm sure that it was bred for colour rather than temperament.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know having 2 from the same litter is often frowned upon, littermate syndrome etc and they definitely encourage each other if out, but I think any 2 dogs together might do that.
When DD is out with her owner, she walks beautifully on a loose lead and when off lead stays close to her owner.
If she is out with ours, she pulls on the lead until she settles and off lead because she is more confident in a group, she will approach other dogs, if we don't intervene in time. She wants to play but she really shouldn't do it.
Our litter sisters wouldn't dream of approaching other dogs.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
There is a brown Lab local to us that is one of the nastiest, most troublesome dogs, I have ever met. The owner is a good part of the problem, because the dog has no boundaries. I've watched it grow up since it was old enough to start going out and she has always allowed it to do exactly what it wants. But I'm sure that it was bred for colour rather than temperament.
My parents' parsons Russell (who was completely non-reactive to other dogs) was attacked while I was looking after him Christmas 2008 by a pair of brown lab brothers who launched on him pretty much out of nowhere (it was dark, so possible I missed some warning sign, but there was certainly no obvious lead-up). He survived but had to have a back leg amputated and in the months afterwards many people told me stories of problems they had had with brown labs in the area. The colour was very popular at the time and I assume there was some breeding stock somewhere about that shouldn't have been being bred from.

BallyJ

Visit site
Op, I’ve seen a couple of times you’ve referred back to golden retrievers. I would get a golden over a terrier, from the sound of your post you really like the breed and have history with them so get one.
A well trained retriever is much easier to handle than a well trained terrier.
If heading out walking I would send my mum out with one of my labs over my 6kg terrier! All girls all raised the same but the labs are so much easier, and wouldn’t dream of pulling on a lead etc, the terrier tows like a train and is willing to have a scrap when given a chance!

GoldenLife

Visit site
After speaking with my mum I'm rather annoyed and wish she'd told me this in the first place.

I'm so sorry to you all I feel I've wasted your time with my other thread asking for breed recommendation's she's now told me that her heart has been set on a cavalier this entire time and she has been trying to find away of convincing me to get one and she's been in contact with owners through a Facebook group who told her what we were told at crufts was rubbish that not all cavaliers are unhealthy and that not all get MVD it's all in finding a good breeder who health tests for everything which is hard to find but if you know where to look you can find a healthy cavalier.

We were told at crufts by one breeder that over half of all cavaliers have MVD and that it's accepted that it comes with cavaliers now because it affects so many of them now.

I wish she told me this from the start I have no issue with cavaliers I really like them never met a nasty one their all very lovely the ones I've met and they all have that smiling face goldens have it was just the health issues that concerned me I know a few here have cavalier's or know the breed well is it definitely possible to find a healthy one because we've both been told different things here

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Crikey, you don't need to apologise, all part of settling on the right breed for you. Sounds promising that your mum seems to have found a contact that can help with breeders for a good chance of a healthy dog. Best of luck with finding a puppy - pictures on here are obligatory when you do 😉

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Well you certainly won’t get problems with fighting with cavaliers 😊 They’ve never been my cup of tea but they are gentle, loving sweet natured little souls - good luck with finding a good one, they certainly are out there 😊

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My parents' parsons Russell (who was completely non-reactive to other dogs) was attacked while I was looking after him Christmas 2008 by a pair of brown lab brothers who launched on him pretty much out of nowhere (it was dark, so possible I missed some warning sign, but there was certainly no obvious lead-up). He survived but had to have a back leg amputated and in the months afterwards many people told me stories of problems they had had with brown labs in the area. The colour was very popular at the time and I assume there was some breeding stock somewhere about that shouldn't have been being bred from.
I had a pair of brown Lab bitches just as the colour was becoming popular in the 1980s. I had to have 1 pts aged 18 months, because of non-Hodgekins lymphoma and the other developed epilepsy aged 2. The epileptic one was given as a BOGOF because the dam had bitten an ear off. I have assumed since that she was epileptic but of course the breeder didn't tell me that. They were from a litter of 4, which is quite small for a Lab, so i have wondered since if there were actually more that the bitch killed. The remaining I was a lively natured dog who lived to be 15 but I said I would never buy another brown pup. We do have a brown bitch now but she was a rehome, possibly pointer cross, mad as a hatter with sensitive skin.

malwhit

Visit site
I loved the look of Wire Fox Terriers, Irish, Welsh & Lakeland Terriers but ended up with Mini Schnauzers, but always had one of each sex. They are generally more laid back and less aggressive than terriers.

i have had up to 4 dogs together. My male Mini Schnauzer lived with 3 females, usually a mix of breeds/crosses and all sizes. When he died I added a female Cockapoo puppy

I have 3 females at the moment which is my in ideal number. Although I did say to a friend I would like another Whippet 😄

misst

Visit site
I have always had terriers. They can be a bit feisty but so can any dog really. My current boy takes exception to random dogs male and female if they get in his face. He is a rehome and was a stray so likely had to scrap for food etc. My girls have always been fine except for one incident between Ruby and my daughters dog which was dealt with very carefully. My boy gets on with male dogs he knows and who don't get in his face. Any dog can be territorial no matter what the breed. My neighbour has a pair of male Westies and they are super little dogs. My boy gets on well with them and they don't fight with each other.

Terriers are ... very terrier-like for want of a better description. If you don't want lively, vocal, cheeky characters you might do better to choose something else?

misst

Visit site
Just read your update OP - a KCCS sounds perfect. There are genetic tests I believe so you can hopefully find a breeder that tests and breeds responsibly. I hope your mum enjoys her dog x