Samoyed Bath Frequency

JBM

Visit site
I walk my bear everyday and he’s incredibly fluffy so in this weather his belly gets quite dirty. I’m told usually to bath a dog no more than one a week but he gets upset when he can’t come inside so I usually bath his belly a Few times a week. Is that bad? I have a blower so he’s usually dried in around 20 minutes then brushed out
(Photo is from a full bath cuz he was getting smelly usually just do the belly)

Attachments

• 43C8A7DB-CFFA-47C4-AA47-4379B50A8859.jpeg
    43C8A7DB-CFFA-47C4-AA47-4379B50A8859.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 6FEAFB54-5D2F-44A6-A6C9-DFCF64436A53.jpeg
    6FEAFB54-5D2F-44A6-A6C9-DFCF64436A53.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 35

JBM

Visit site
What about an Equifleece or something to keep his tummy dry? Or pop it on for a while to dry him off.
He has a very thick coat gets overly warm just sitting unfortunately and generally it’s the dirt don’t know how he manages to do it but he always has a black belly! Think it’s worse cuz he’s such a bright white ??‍♀️

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Coat then blow dry/brush. Mine is a very feathered springer, he is confined to the kitchen, blow dry/brush. Baths are a pita, especially with a double sammy coat. Dry and brush. You can get wipes/fragranced products to minimise smell.

JBM

Visit site
Coat then blow dry/brush. Mine is a very feathered springer, he is confined to the kitchen, blow dry/brush. Baths are a pita, especially with a double sammy coat. Dry and brush. You can get wipes/fragranced products to minimise smell.
If you’d believe me I actually prefer to bath my Samoyed over the terrier cuz bear just stands there like a saint!

JBM

Visit site
Curious tho is it bad to bath them that often? Not using shampoo should avoid taking the oils from his skin but unsure

Aru

Visit site
Don't bath him everytime, it shouldnt be nessecary with that coat...
Hose down the underbelly if it's a deep level of dirt and well embedded to the skin but as a general rule with that sort of coat you should be able him just get him dry(use the blower to speed things up) and then brush off the outercoat after as it's usually just the outer coat the mess sticks to.
I usually just block mine in the laundry or a pen until they dry then brush down though.
Its quicker and easier to clean the laundry or change crate bedding then the dogs

He's a beautiful dog!

Umbongo

Visit site
Wetting the skin so often could possibly cause it to become dry. If you want to wash his belly with water everyday then just ensure he is fully dry, any damp spots close to the skin that are missed could potentially go on to become hot spots in thick coated dogs.

I wouldn't recommend bathing most dogs more than once a month, possibly longer in double coated dogs. I assume it would take longer for the oils to fully redistribute through a thick double coat than it would for most single coated breeds.

My old SUPER fluffy collie would get a quick towel dry after a muddy walk, then kept in the kitchen for a bit. I would brush out the mud once dried. He got a proper bath once or twice a year. He always looked gorgeous and smelt fine, and his white belly was always white. I think you would be surprised how clean they can stay without washing so frequently. It sounds like a lot of work! If he is clean but a bit smelly you can get safe doggy dry shampoos/deodoriser sprays etc.

Last edited:

JBM

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys! ?The blower I got should make it easy to brush out the dirt now along with the fast drag spray
My main problem before is that he would take around 3 hours to dry and I was warned not to towel dry him to much as he still has his puppy coat which mats so easy ??‍♀️

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Please don't use fragranced products on dogs, they can cause irritation.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m reading these replies and feeling bad that my poor GSD gets her belly and legs showered at the yard before we come home (at least it’s warm water) and that’s the the total of my care for her coat. Luckily our house is mostly laminate so I just run the steam mop over it every day.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I have an alaskan malamute so similar coat.
I bath her once a year in the summer with a hotspot shampoo from the vets. No more than that.
I towel dry her belly and legs then wrap the towel around her and thats it!
She hates hoses/showers and the mud dries off very quick with a towel.

JBM

Visit site
After our walk today instead of bathing his very dirty belly I used the blower and not only did it dry him it blew all the dirt off in around 10 minutes! Best product ever! And only had to stop cuz bear was attempting to chase all his loose fluff ?
Thanks for all the help guys! Never would’ve even occurred to me to just try dry the dirt off him

MurphysMinder

Visit site
After our walk today instead of bathing his very dirty belly I used the blower and not only did it dry him it blew all the dirt off in around 10 minutes! Best product ever! And only had to stop cuz bear was attempting to chase all his loose fluff ?
Thanks for all the help guys! Never would’ve even occurred to me to just try dry the dirt off him

I've only just read this thread and was going to suggest using the blaster on him wet. Game changer.

Clodagh

Visit site
Imagine you are a dog and have a delicate olfactory system so sensitive that it can detect one drop of blood in 2 Olympic sized swimming pools.

Then imagine being covered in a fragrance that you are unable to escape from.
I must admit I don’t use any fragranced stuff , even febreze or anything. I don’t like the smell myself and think they must hate it. Washing powder smells they have to deal with. On their beds, not them! ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I must admit I don’t use any fragranced stuff , even febreze or anything. I don’t like the smell myself and think they must hate it. Washing powder smells they have to deal with. On their beds, not them! ?

You have to feel sorry for the poor dogs washed with scented shampoo, sprayed with deodourising spray, living in a home with plug-ins, scented candles, carpet freshener and the like. Talk about an assault on the senses :(

Clodagh

Visit site
You have to feel sorry for the poor dogs washed with scented shampoo, sprayed with deodourising spray, living in a home with plug-ins, scented candles, carpet freshener and the like. Talk about an assault on the senses :(
I doubt CT is that extreme but yes I agree. My brothers dog has a bath at a grooming parlour once a month and comes back smelling, apparently, of jellybeans. Whatever must synthetic jellybeans smell like to a dog?
I always wonder how bad lemon flash smells to mine but I do have to mop the floor with something.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I doubt CT is that extreme but yes I agree. My brothers dog has a bath at a grooming parlour once a month and comes back smelling, apparently, of jellybeans. Whatever must synthetic jellybeans smell like to a dog?
I always wonder how bad lemon flash smells to mine but I do have to mop the floor with something.

I am a crap housewife. My house stinks of dogs. I made the OH wash both the recliner covers today. Mitch is still excited pee puppy and tends to be on the recliner a lot. ?

Re scents in general, I use normal laundry tablets, bleach down the loo rarely, very diluted spray for the mop, sadly essential due to 3 dogs with open access to the garden and excited pee puppy. I can't be arsed to clean frequently and I don't care if my house isn't spotless. I certainly don't want it smelling like fake jelly beans or whatever! Mitch rolled in his own pee the other day, I got (unscented) wipes and wiped him down. I probably should have bathed him.