Sand colic and psyllium husks - follow up treatment

Tash88

Visit site
My horse, who has previously had ulcers and moved to turnout on sandy soil about 6 weeks ago, appeared to be uncomfortable last week but is much better after a 5 day psyllium treatment (100gm a day). The result was almost overnight and a couple of days after stopping the treatment he is still okay, fingers crossed. I am planning on giving him a five day course every month as recommended.

However I was also thinking of switching to Thunderbrooks Ulsa X for my horse who has a sensitive stomach and this contains a small amount of psyllium. I consulted Thunderbrooks and was advised this was at a prebiotic level and wouldn’t help the sand problem, so I’d have to give extra psyllium for five days a month. This isn’t a problem and I know it works, but I also read that you aren’t meant to feed psyllium every day if you want it to remove sand from the gut as it loses effectiveness (the stomach breaks it down). I haven’t started feeding the Ulsa X but I’m unsure now. I have contacted Thunderbrooks again and they haven't replied, so was wondering if any of you could advise?

Many thanks x

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I feed mine the first 5 days of each month and none the rest of the month. I check there poo once a quarter.
Using a pellet now which I mix in a small fed of pony nuts and 16 + mix as it needs feeding dry. I get it off vio vet and will try to remember what bits called as I have it on automatic send out. X
Mine did not always eat the powder stuff x

Tash88

Visit site
Thanks! Do you find that your horses 'tell' you when they are due a psyllium course? Mine was definitely uncomfortable and his appetite reduced. I'm the only one on the yard who has had a problem with the sand, but then my horse does seem to have a sensitive stomach. A few others are trying it with their horses now; I am lucky that mine ate it with no bother but some of the others are having difficulties.

The thing is, if I feed the Ulsa X as well, with psyllium as a probiotic, will that cancel out the effect of the monthly psyllium course?

Tash x

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thanks! Do you find that your horses 'tell' you when they are due a psyllium course? Mine was definitely uncomfortable and his appetite reduced. I'm the only one on the yard who has had a problem with the sand, but then my horse does seem to have a sensitive stomach. A few others are trying it with their horses now; I am lucky that mine ate it with no bother but some of the others are having difficulties.

The thing is, if I feed the Ulsa X as well, with psyllium as a probiotic, will that cancel out the effect of the monthly psyllium course?

Tash x
Hi tash, I am on sand and when I moved her vet said to feed it. So I basically have brought it into there management. It's a little expensive as I have multi horses but to me it's worth it. The fear of a large vet bill after an op alone makes it worth doing.
I dont know enough on Ulser x, but let me look it up, unless someone on here can advise x

Tash88

Visit site
Thanks @Gingerwitch! I moved onto sand on 5th December and although the grazing is good it's muddy and so the sand will be splashing up onto the grass, plus my horse likes to drink out of the puddles so I had to use it, plus as I said my horse seemed to be suffering. I paid £15 for a 1kg bag, which is two months' worth of treatments (I give 100gm a day for 5 days as it said on the packet) and the difference was almost overnight.

Ulsa X https://thunderbrook.co.uk/shop/digestive-supplements/ulsax-5kg-15kg/ is rated very highly on the 'Horses with Ulcers' FB page and it was recommended after I asked about their Healthy Herbal chaff. It contains some psyllium but as a probiotic, but I don't want it to 'cancel out' the effect of the 5 day course if I feed the Ulsa X every day. I wouldn't give my horse much, just enough to mix his feed with as it makes a mash.

Thanks x

Gingerwitch

Visit site
First chill!
Then get some poo and dilute it in a plastic bag/glove to see how much sand is actually in it.
I personally would not feed anything with psyllium every day it's a waste of money.
I would feed plain chaff, linseed and a pink mash or maybe a supplement richard Maxwell is promoting one.
But to be frank I would speak to my vets.
Feed companies unfortunately want to sell you feed, most vets have not gone down this path do far..... although some sell there own products.
Lastly chill ! The diluted poo will certainly give you the heads up, as the sand will settle in the fingers or the corner of the plastic (food bag)
X

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you! I’m not very good at chilling but absolutely appreciate your advice. Do you mean keyflow pink mash? I just looked it up and it looks good. It has linseed in it, would you still feed more?

I need to do a poo test, one of my horse’s field mates had one and there was quite a lot of sand so I’m assuming my horse is the same. I just went on how he seemed to be feeling; my friend’s horse is unaffected but I guess different horses are sensitive to different things.

xx

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thank you! I’m not very good at chilling but absolutely appreciate your advice. Do you mean keyflow pink mash? I just looked it up and it looks good. It has linseed in it, would you still feed more?

I need to do a poo test, one of my horse’s field mates had one and there was quite a lot of sand so I’m assuming my horse is the same. I just went on how he seemed to be feeling; my friend’s horse is unaffected but I guess different horses are sensitive to different things.

xx
Dont assume.... check for yourself. If your pony is going out with a full stomach, having a decent amount of forage overnight thr had will have s totally different intake of sand yo a horse that is rubbing around desperate for any feed and therefore taking in a huge amount of sand.
So let's go the poo test first, get the results and the great hho will advise. So nothing will change overnight. Pick up some poo and dissolve it. Let it settle and see what sand we have.
Xx