sand out?

Ella19

Visit site
Also in NL

Please talk to me about sandout. Is it really necessary or another modern gimmick/supplement?

I've just moved my mare back to a yard with sandy pasture. Grass cover is average. When I was there before no one had heard of it, let alone fed sand out. However, now I have returned (year and a half gap) they are all on various sand out products. I believe this started after 1 horse in 56 got sand colic.

Everyone has been asking which product I will be using for my mare. So, sand out, yes or no and which one if yes?

rhino

Visit site
Is it necessary? Well yes, sand colic is real and can be fatal.. Do all horses need treatment? IMO no!

Have you tried doing a sand (Mason) test on your horse's poo to see if there is sand being passed? Basically put a few balls of your horse's poo in a glass jar full of water. Shake and stir with a stick until the poo disintegrates. Any sand will be left as a residue at the bottom of the jar.

Psyllium can be useful for those horses on sandy pasture who ingest a lot of sand, but I have only had to use it once on pair of donkeys on a particularly sandy small paddock. It's not something I use as a general rule :)