Sand school maintenance?

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hi

I've just moved to a new yard that has a nice small school that will only have me using it most of the time :) Just wanted some tips on how to best look after it, it has bits of grass growing in it at the moment as has barely been used..

Not sure what the surface is, some sort of black sand (dreading coming off on it, I'll be filthy..) it drains really well and doesn't freeze. Have had a quick google and guessing I need some sort of device like the first one on here to level it?

http://www.ktractors.co.uk/arena_levelers.htm

Does anyone use something else?

Thanks for any replies.

Booboos

Visit site
Grass growing through is pretty bad as it ruins the membrane and that leads to more problems. Spray the grass with grass killer, but do read the instructions first and make sure you keep animals off it for as long as necessary.

There are loads of different arena levelers and many do a great job. Most will come and demonstrate the leveler before you buy, but a much cheaper solution is to sort something out yourself. A heavy pallet or a small chain harrow (upside down) or a light gate will often do a good job for no cost.

You may also need to think about watering if we have a dry summer. If you fix a strong sprinkler on an electric fence post and make a wooden base for the whole thing you can water about half a 20x40 arena in one go.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Right, will look at the grass, only a bit and I pulled some of it out, will check how bad it is.

Good tips for watering it too thank you, perhaps we might have a dry summer :)

Fab ideas for levelling, have some spare heavy pallets (I can't lift them) and have a 4wd, quad and small tractor that could tow, have told OH to get to work..

So glad I put this post up, knew HHO would have the answers, thank you :)

killerpip4

New User
Visit site
Hi im 16 and i have only just got in to the looking after horses bit so maybe im not the best person to answer but here is what i did

1. buy an old vehicle (i got a jeep and it has lasted 10 years)
2. get an old gate or something similar
3. conect large chains to the front to end of the gate but they need to be about a foot long so they dont get to the other end then put a few in a line
4. then chain it to the vehicle
5. then drive around the school

and for the grass bit.
i got loads of grass growing up the side of my schools all i do is skim the suface about 4 inches down then it should be in easy to manage squeres then you can shake all the sand out and then throw the grass away and put the sand in to the middle because i bet it has built up

P.S. every now and again get out there with a shovel and wheel borrow and dig up the sand because it will build up around the sides and then put it back in to the middle

Thanks
Phil