Saracen Releve soak or not?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Looking at this feed for my old guy should he look to be fit for another winter.

Looking to keep it simple so I would be feeding a dry balancer for Am feed before he is turned out and potentially this with a good amount of soaked grass nits and his hay for PM feed.

He is fussy and cereal intolerant and I'm sick of having to make concoctions to get him to eat and take his medicine. At present he is getting two small feeds one with balancer and grassnuts and his meds and one with grassnuts and a small amount of chaff both with some watered down treacle for taste. You are lucky if there is 2inches deep of mush in each feed. This is all I can get him to eat unless I leave him in for hours :rolleyes: he's a pest.

He is being ridden 2/3 times a week just to keep him ticking over, nothing strenuous but we are struggling muscle wise hence the gentle exercise to help build him up. He is PPID and medicated and not a good doer. Teeth are good and appetite in winter is good just for things he cannot have :rolleyes:

Auslander

Visit site
I've had several discussions with Saracen about it, as I have two that choke on it every time I feed it unsoaked! They say that it doesn't need to be soaked, but that if that works for me, it's fine! I've opted for soaking it, and have had no further issues with choke, and the horses do very well on it

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I've had several discussions with Saracen about it, as I have two that choke on it every time I feed it unsoaked! They say that it doesn't need to be soaked, but that if that works for me, it's fine! I've opted for soaking it, and have had no further issues with choke, and the horses do very well on it

Thank you very much :)

I soak everything, I've never had a horse of mine choke or colic in my care through soaking everything. The balancer the pellets are so small, I have soaked it just to see how much it swelled and it wasn't much so it set my mind at ease with that :)

When I read the ingredients and saw the consistency my mind immediately said soak it ( unmollassed beet) but I wanted to be sure.

I'm also glad you say yours do well on it, I'm hoping that the fact it looks like mx he will be fooled into thinking he's getting the beloved but forbidden cereal mix ;)

Auslander

Visit site
I would never feed anything which swells so much when wetted as a dry feed. It really plumps up in volume.

I took this to demonstrate to Saracen why I was concerned about feeding it damp, rather than soaked! Same amount in both buckets - left hand one soaked for a few hours
18010532_10155669800955730_4947185019984477333_n.jpg

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I took this to demonstrate to Saracen why I was concerned about feeding it damp, rather than soaked! Same amount in both buckets - left hand one soaked for a few hours
18010532_10155669800955730_4947185019984477333_n.jpg

Wow! I will definitely be feeding it soaked! I've always soaked anything pelleted or mix regardless, I'll just do what I always do and make the next nights feeds up before I leave the yard the previous night.

Thank you that picture just shows what happens when the feed hits the moisture in their stomachs, no wonder you see a lot of colic these days?!

Auslander

Visit site
Thank you that picture just shows what happens when the feed hits the moisture in their stomachs, no wonder you see a lot of colic these days?!

Actually - that's not correct. The stomach is full of acid, not water, so anything that hits it will start to break down before it swells up enough to cause an issue. I'm more inclined to blame long fibres, particularly high lignin ones like wheat straw, for causing impactions further back in the GI tract

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Actually - that's not correct. The stomach is full of acid, not water, so anything that hits it will start to break down before it swells up enough to cause an issue. I'm more inclined to blame long fibres, particularly high lignin ones like wheat straw, for causing impactions further back in the GI tract

Hmmm ..... really?? That's not what I've been told, also witnessed choke and colic caused by unsoaked beet absorbing moisture, off to go have a nosey as that's something I wasn't aware of, thanks for that again auslander :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Acid is still moisture and full of water. If it was too concentrated it would eat its way out of the horse!

All you need is for the horse to take a few mouthfuls, take a drink and wash it straight out of the stomach for it to swell in the small intestine. It's a risk I certainly wouldn't take, having seen the stuff. It swells a lot more than sugar beet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSD

Auslander

Visit site
Acid is still moisture and full of water. If it was too concentrated it would eat its way out of the horse!

All you need is for the horse to take a few mouthfuls, take a drink and wash it straight out of the stomach for it to swell in the small intestine. It's a risk I certainly wouldn't take, having seen the stuff. It swells a lot more than sugar beet.

I bow to your superior knowledge...

ycbm

Visit site
I've already answered those questions in the posts above

I'm interested in your view that feed can be washed through the stomach.

It's what I was taught forty years ago when I first kept horses. I don't really worry if it's wrong or right, feeding something that swells as much as re-leve is not a risk I would take.

Apologies, I read all the posts but not the names of the posters, and your post number eight led me to believe that you had no issue with feeding re-leve dry, but I see that you do.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
It's what I was taught forty years ago when I first kept horses. I don't really worry if it's wrong or right

That's fine if it's a personal view, which isn't shared as fact.
I was taught much the same (although not quite so many years ago), but like many things, I've revised my view in line with advances in veterinary science, which have blown many an old-school theory out of the water.

ycbm

Visit site
Mucus is why it doesn't eat its way of the horse :) (and enzymes, depending on which part of the digestive tract you're refering to)

Horses salivate as they eat, adding water to the stomach, and the acid produced by the stomach is already diluted, it is not neat acid. Neat acid will eat most things! But yes, of course mucus protects the stomach from acid.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Horses salivate as they eat, adding water to the stomach, and the acid produced by the stomach is already diluted, it is not neat acid. Neat acid will eat most things! But yes, of course mucus protects the stomach from acid.

https://www.quora.com/Does-drinking-water-dilute-stomach-acid

Yes, I'm aware it's not talking about humans, but then again, you're VERY adamant about something you learnt 40 years ago and "don't really worry if it's wrong or right"

ycbm

Visit site
https://www.quora.com/Does-drinking-water-dilute-stomach-acid

Yes, I'm aware it's not talking about humans, but then again, you're VERY adamant about something you learnt 40 years ago and "don't really worry if it's wrong or right"

I am happy to be corrected at any time Papa Fritz, and try to acknowledge it every time anyone corrects me.

That's an interesting article which makes my original point very well. It says that the normal PH of stomach acid is 2. From what I have read, the PH of neat acid is 0 or very close to. That's a lot stronger. Which makes my original point to Auslander correct, that the stomach acid contains water, and the re-leve will swell in the stomach due to the liquid present.

But if you know better please do not hesitate to correct me and I will acknowledge that I have got it wrong.

Whatever, we all seem to agree that we aren't prepared to feed re-leve unsoaked, for safety's sake. So that's good, isn't it?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That's fine if it's a personal view, which isn't shared as fact.
I was taught much the same (although not quite so many years ago), but like many things, I've revised my view in line with advances in veterinary science, which have blown many an old-school theory out of the water.

"Joy: All these facts and opinions look the same. I can't tell them apart.
Bing Bong: Happens to me all the time. Don't worry about it."

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That's an interesting article which makes my original point very well. It says that the normal PH of stomach acid is 2. From what I have read, the PH of neat acid is 0 or very close to. That's a lot stronger. Which makes my original point to Auslander correct, that the stomach acid contains water, and the re-leve will swell in the stomach due to the liquid present.

Since the acid isn't neat, isn't its neat acidity essentially a moot point. Or a moo point, if you watch too much TV and like to quote Friends?

From Google
The most dorsal part of the stomach has the highest pH, usually close to 7, dropping to a pH of 3.0–6.0 near the margo plicatus, and reaching as low as 1.5–4.0 in the glandular regions.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Wow! I will definitely be feeding it soaked! I've always soaked anything pelleted or mix regardless, I'll just do what I always do and make the next nights feeds up before I leave the yard the previous night.

You might find they will go smelly making them up the night before in the hot weather. If you have a kettle at the yard you could use that to make it soak faster. Mine has all meals soaked too, he choked couple of years ago, he is 38 now

Barker

New User
Visit site
Auslander what did they say or do when you told them of the choke your horses had on it?

Auslander

Visit site
Auslander what did they say or do when you told them of the choke your horses had on it?
Not a lot, if I remember correctly. Said they were sorry my horses choked, but said they'd never heard of it happening before. Didn't seem prepared to agree that there may be something in my conviction that it was Releve that made both horses choke - seeing as they had never choked before, both choked every time they had Releve, and haven't choked since.
I'm still cross about bot having my concerns taken seriously - I used to feed my whole yard on Saracen, but I voted with my feet after that

MissTyc

Visit site
One of mine choked on it dry or moist, as well, so I always fed it soaked. Changed feed now to one where I don't worry that others might not sufficiently soak it for me.
(the other horse was fine unsoaked)